• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Just a reminder to not be an idiot

armymedic.2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2008
upstate ny
I have been shooting about fifteen years. I am a farmer and national guardsman. Shoot a lot, been around guns alot.

Today i decided to relieve some tension after many mishaps during the farm day with broken machinery, by shooting a few gongs on the farm, and i was distracted by the day. Wasn't really thinking. Had five rounds in the sleeve, and grabbed five from the box in my truck where they always sit. Fired five. going great out to four hundred. Get to five hundred and fire again, noticibally light recoil and odd sound.

Eject the round look at the brass, notice nothing pop another in and fire again. same deal. take out the bolt and notice unburnt powder in the barrel..............pick up the casing. turns out i grabbed my wifes ammo, and just put two 243 down the pipe of my 308. are you friggin kidding me. how i did not notice it chamberng them i don't know, and then to fire one feeling strange and not just stopping to figure it out.

Like i said.....don't be an idiot like me. embarrassing and dangerous. Just hope i did not hurt my rifling clanging small bullets down the bore, and glad it wasn't worse

Re: Just a reminder to not be an idiot

I inadvertantly chambered a 5.56mm in a 6.8mm gun, didn't go off though. Did watch a guy put 2 boxes of .300WM through a .300Wby with his kids last month though.

Yeah, I put a 9 mm round in my Glock 23 once.

It fired, and produced an interesting looking case, with a 9 mm body, and a .40 caliber mouth. It had to be manually ejected.

It's better to fire ammunition in a firearm chambered for that cartridge.

I second that Lindy. I fired a 9mm in a HK USP 40 during pistol quals. Really odd looking necked-up case came out. Still hit the target but wicked keyhole.

I was loading a bunch of 257 Roberts, figured I'd check to make sure they chamber before I put them in with my hunting gear.

Went to the house for my Model 70, 257 Bob. They wouldnt fit, Ut Oh, got out the flashlight, figured maybe I didnt notice that I pulled a case neck off or something the last time I shot. Couldnt see anything, tried empty brass, wont fit, new brass, wont fit. Something is in my chamber. I got out the 257 Finish reamer figuring I need to clean out what ever was there.

It wasnt until I started taking the rifle apart I found I had my wife's 243 version of the Model 70.

Dern near had a heart attack thinking about what I was planning to do to my Feather Weight.

I now have another featherweight in 270 that looks like a carbon copy of my 257 Roberts, can't weight to see how I screw this one up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's better to fire ammunition in a firearm chambered for that cartridge.
</div></div>

...destined to become someone's sig line
laugh.gif

Being in the gun business as long as I was I have to say the most interesting case I saw, except those that did catastrophic damage, was a .338 Win Mag case that a customer fired in an 8mm Reg Mag rifle. He had been shooting 3 different rifles on the same bench. Shooting one while the other barrels cooled. The case came out after he rapped the bolt handle on the bench.

Rifle had no visible damage other than a broken extractor and some brass flow into the ejector. I think the only thing that saved his face was the amount of freebore the bullet had lowered the pressure spike.

Remington inspected the rifle, replaced the extractor and ejector, and sent the rifle back.

Such an easy thing to do.

It has often amused me how many guys I've read online who act like this sort of thing could never happen to them. We had a problem at a highpower clinic where a new shooter tried to chamber a 5.56x39 in a 223 RRA AR15. This 15.56x39 cartridge was in in a new box of Barnual 223. I posted this as a warning online. Many acted like they would have immediately noticed. I cry BS. Most wouldn't.

The saying is there aren't mistakes just learning opportunities. what can we learn from this to helps us not repeat this.

I would say making very sure whatever container ammo is kept in is very clearly labeled with Large letters showing the Cartridge is probably top of the list.

Other suggestion to help avoid this beside paying closer attention. We need to try to be idiot proof. At least I do!

yupper.... I knew i wasn't alone on the experience but figured i'd toss a reality check out there.

Gun shot great on woodchucks today. 7 confirmed out of 9 nine tried in some crazy crosswinds. probably helped i made darn sure it was 308 every time!

A .308 cartridge will fire out of a 30.06.Creating a very unique fire formed brass as well. A young man had borrowed a rem700 in .308 to deer hunt with. The rifle was placed into a gun cabinet for overnight storage along side a near identicle rifle in 30.06. The following morning the young man was handed the 06 by mistake, and had his correct (wrong) ammo in his pocket. The majority of us had aluminum poisoning and did not hunt that morning so the mistake wasn't immediately noticed. Around 9:00ish, he crashed through the cabin door out of breath and very excited! He had just shot a deer and was pumped, but his borrowed rifle was jammed. At a glance I knew he had my brothers 06. And I asked to see his remainig ammo. All .308.
My cousin who had handed the young man the incorrect rifle was a few shades paler than myself as I explained to him the mistake. To this day, that priece of brass resides on top of the gun cabinet at the cabin. It is spoken of often and serves us well as a safety reminder to check, and double check.ourselves, and each other.
I've often wondered how the extractor even got above the rim on that round. It should have just ridden on top and never been close to the firing pin but it happened.
I am glad to say that same young man will joining us on a turkey hunt this weekend. He turned 20 this year and is a fine young man. I'm very thankful
he's around and that our mistake only resulted in a stuck piece of brass. I shudder every time I think of that rem 700 in 25.06 that was on the other side of that .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's better to fire ammunition in a firearm chambered for that cartridge.
</div></div>

...destined to become someone's sig line
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Never crossed my mind.... Tell now
smile.gif

Somewhere I have a 7mm-8 necked out to .308 win with a nice split.

I was doing the shoot while the other cools thing on the bench. About the 4th swap I got distracted with the cell phone and didn't swap the ammo boxes.

I shot over the chronograph and noticed the odd pop and looked at the chronograph with a remarkably low velocity and knew instantly what I had done.

This is a 9mm that chambered, fired, cycled, and hit the target from a .357 SIG. A couple of 9mm rounds some how got mixed in to some old .357 SIG we were shooting up before qualifying a couple of years ago. A couple of rounds went pop instead of bang but they cycled fine. I stopped everyone after the second or third and looked at the ground where I found these.
HPIM2026.jpg

A while back there was a guy at my local gun store showing off some blown out .308 Win brass that he had PURPOSELY shot out of a .30-06. It was pretty much a straight wall case after. He claimed it was part of the original design specification for the 7.62x51mm that it had to be able to be shot in a 7.62x63 rifle. I was surprised it hadn't even split where the neck used to be or worse. I wouldn't try it myself but I thought it was interesting; anyone know if it's true about it being a requirement when they developed the round?

Was at pistol quals and someone must have tossed a 9mm case into the .40 bin by mistake. Buddy of mine was the one that found it. When it went off at the 15 yd we all noiced the odd sound. Case was actually kind of normal looking aside from the primer strike. (Glock 22) He still scored 100% but the round went through sideways.