• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

just an idea pumice powder

5R Milspec

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2009
South Carolina
hey guys I was just thinking about something today.my thinking came to this.would adding pumice powder ( really fine ) to your corn cob media help out? so has anyone thought of this or am I the only one thinking it may work.

I am thinking of all sorts of ideas to help out with cleaning my brass.my system is OK but would like to try something to help out.the car polish and cob mix is what I am useing these days.I would go to the stainless steel pins but I hate having to dry my brass.plus I don't think in my case I really need the inside of my cases as clean as the outside.

so what ya think about my idea.is it something to try or not.I can get a 15# bag for around $20.all thoughts are welcome just don't beat me up too bad.

Re: just an idea pumice powder

I'm not sure I would want to introduce an abrasive into my reloading components. Pumice is not as fine as you would think. Rotten stone is much finer but will cut quite a bit. Walnut is more aggressive, but dusty. Just leave them in the corncob overnight. Won't hurt. Pumice might.

You can add anything you want,if works_ The real issue is how be absolutely sure to eliminate any residual of what you add, without contaminate yourself_ I'm so paranoid about it,that I don't tumble my cases,and any cleaning step happens inside some liquid media:( vinegar,dish soap,water last)this way,the most of powdered residuals will be trapped in to the liquids_How I clean inside? Brass brush on dremel tool,12v.or battery,inside the case,with the case half submerged in hot water&dish soap_ blow them with compressed air (2 compressors in my kitchen)_surgical gloves,and my kitchen is notoriously war-zone,of course_

I don't like it. Too much like reinventing the wheel. Pumice is volcanic glass, very abrasive and will degrade.

You have corn cob, crushed walnut, ultrasonic and the stainless system. I much prefer treated corn cob. Leave it in for an hour or all day. Take case of your cases and they won't need aggressive polishing. Works for me. BB

Why not buy an approved activator for your corn cob like Frankfort Arsenal(Midway) or Lyman activator. Or just simply use walnut hulls plain. Your aim is clean brass not "like new" brass. To tell the truth some of my match brass, that never strays beyond the clean MTM box and the chamber, Gets resisized straight from the box and I simply wipe the case after a pass through the FL die. The carbon doesn't hurt the die. Just make sure your brass doesn't hit the ground and you are fine. I do tumble my brass in corncob and walnut depending on my mood and desired finish. I have always found these methods to be supremely acceptable.

For all I know activator has pumice in it but I wouldn't think it does. Volcanic glass is mighty hard and abrasive.

"use some black beauty" That is funny right there. One of the hardest man made substances known. Its what we use in our fluidized sand bed incinerator. Practically indestructable. One little flake in a reloading die and you will have a permanent reminder that this was only a joke......I wonder how many hours it would take to make your brass so clean it was invisible?
laugh.gif

Ok guys thats what I was looking for.just as I said it was an idea not something in the works already.for me when my mind wants to work it sometimes over works.

yes,the corn cob and polish works just fine for me so I'll keep useing it.funny thing is when I do and add some to my media then put a good amount of brass in with it I remember the next morning its on.last time my brass did come out looking better than new.for the most part with my rifel brass I only poilish it after the 4th firing.thats when I anneal the brass then FL size it.my pistol brass well it gets a cleaning every time I load it.

again thanks for your replies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilecoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can add anything you want,if works_ The real issue is how be absolutely sure to eliminate any residual of what you add, without contaminate yourself_ I'm so paranoid about it,that I don't tumble my cases,and any cleaning step happens inside some liquid media:( vinegar,dish soap,water last)this way,the most of powdered residuals will be trapped in to the liquids_How I clean inside? Brass brush on dremel tool,12v.or battery,inside the case,with the case half submerged in hot water&dish soap_ blow them with compressed air (2 compressors in my kitchen)_surgical gloves,and my kitchen is notoriously war-zone,of course_ </div></div>

And I thought I was OCD!

It's beeen done with all sorts of abrasive powders/dusts, from jeweler's rouge to diatoms. Works good on brass, Unfortunately, it keeps working afterward, on dies and even bores (it's still there inside the case, folks).

I use walnut, period. Time is our friend. Just run the brass with the walnut long enough, and it will come clean.

I use RCBS Water Soluble Lube, which is like a super thick dish detergent. After sizing, the brass get wiped clean with a cloth and acetone, which removes the lube, any remaining neck carbon, and any residual load data written on the case walls in Sharpie.

Greg

OK guys I cannot be the only one to have a brain fart from time to time.but I guess it is my fault for not being able to sleep most of the time.
to: Greg yes,time is our friend for the most part.Its just like I said I had a brain fart to hit me so I asked.I too do pretty much just like you,but will add that the polish takes out the acetone part for me.it all so helps out by putting a coat on the brass to help out with tarnishing.

perhaps I can imagine,but really I don't know this acronym:I hope you can explain it_
Thanks for any effort about it_

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilecoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">perhaps I can imagine,but really I don't know this acronym:I hope you can explain it_
Thanks for any effort about it_
</div></div>

OCD = Obsessive–compulsive disorder

Is actually a very serious often debilitating affliction for some unfortunate souls.

But it is also commonly and unofficially (as now) used to mean anyone that is considered excessively meticulous, perfectionistic and does everything "overkill".

See also - Anal retentive.

My wife the shrink (seriously) has diagnosed me with both, but will not prescribe me anything for them...go figure.
smirk.gif

I gotta remember that one; OCD. It makes perfect sense around here. BB

My English come only from my efforts to understand old Harley manuals,therefore I am really flattened and I agree about "obsessive-compulsive disorder"and"overkill"_Notwithstanding that, being I from an old-style school of thought, I also respectfully but firmly refuse to utterly investigate about "see also etc..."_
If can help as partial anamnesys,I suggest that a parachute malfunction and the blowing of your first reloaded gun,both for lacking of care,can be aggravating facts,perhaps_
(Seriously,tanks for the answers!)

Wile, your english is very good, I commend you. I have zero language skills, having lived my whole life where Spanish is spoken every day, yet I can barely understand a few words, such as carne asada and taco. I spent a couple years in Germany and never learned more than "ein bahn strasse". lol
BB

I've tried lots of cleaning approaches. My favorite one is also the easiest :

Don't clean

I've managed to let go of the notion a primer pocket must be clean before a primer goes in, that neck soot might scratch my die...and my groups haven't opened up.

Shoot more, reload less...see my sig line.

don't worry:years ago some German and Austrian shooting friends asked me why I don't speaked adequately their language_thanks to a translator,I answered back that their speaking was for my really complicated,and perhaps they have some difficulties to understand even among themselves and,knowing them as the best soldiers from the stone age to today, that I was persuaded that this was the only real and justified cause of their loss on WWII_ for an istant I have feared to be kicked out _ after a brief silence,all exploded to laugh : really good shooters and good people,luckily for me_

Don't fight it, just go with the Stainless Pins. If you use any abrasive, to be absolutely sure you get it all out of and off he cases you'll still need to wash them in water.

The drying process isn't all that hard. Separate the pins and rinse well in the hottest water you can get from the tap. Put the cases back in the media separator and tumble several turns or so to shake loose the big drops of water. That or dump in a bath towel, shake back and forth like polishing a bowling ball. Spread out and dry with a hair dryer if in a hurry or just let dry overnight if not. If you want clean, there's no better way.

I got lax about cleaaning my brass, and ended up with hard grit imbedded in the neck of my resizing die. It had to be cleaned and polished out by someone more experienced than me. The grit was cutting deep lengthwise scratches in the necks that soon led to neck splits.

Nowadays, I not only thoroughly clean the brass, I also completely disassemble and clean the dies after each loading session.

Greg