• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Just back from my Uvalde , TX hunt and 147gr eld-m

wade2big

Two Star General
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
TEXAS
I had three and a half days of hunting. I ended up with 3 whitetail doe, 1 sika deer doe, and 2 audad sheep. It was a family trip and we had a heck of a time like we do every year. My son shot one of the whitetail does and that’s all he wanted to shoot. He shot a deer and a hog a little earlier in the season.

These where my first audad sheep that I have taken. My son and I spotted The sheep 1100 yards across a small canyon. We ended up getting about 80 yards over the top of them before they broke and run. I put two down for good. One at 125 yards the other at 150 or so yards.

We can’t wait until next year. The land owner is a friend of the families and we are grateful to be able to have this experience and fill our freezers every year.

I hunted this year with my Tikka CTR 6.5 creedmoor. I used Hornady 147gr eld-m factory ammunition. I have only used match ammunition once before ,140gr American gunner, and was very disappointed with the performance. I said I would never do that again, but I seen videos and read where people had good results with A-max and eld-m bullets so I decided to give them a try and had some 129gr interlocks just in case. The 147gr eld-m ammunition performed flawlessly. The longest shot taken was on a doe at 365 yards. She was angled away. I placed the bullet behind her shoulder and it fully exited her far side shoulder. She dropped in her tracks. Every other animal followed suit. Not one step. I shoot just in front of the shoulder anytime I can. I would not hesitate to use this ammunition again as it performs similar to a jacketed soft point.

I had three and a half days of hunting. I ended up with 3 whitetail doe, 1 sika deer doe, and 2 audad sheep. It was a family trip and we had a heck of a time like we do every year. My son shot one of the whitetail does and that’s all he wanted to shoot. He shot a deer and a hog a little earlier in the season.

These where my first audad sheep that I have taken. My son and I spotted The sheep 1100 yards across a small canyon. We ended up getting about 80 yards over the top of them before they broke and run. I put two down for good. One at 125 yards the other at 150 or so yards.

We can’t wait until next year. The land owner is a friend of the families and we are grateful to be able to have this experience and fill our freezers every year.

I hunted this year with my Tikka CTR 6.5 creedmoor. I used Hornady 147gr eld-m factory ammunition. I have only used match ammunition once before ,140gr American gunner, and was very disappointed with the performance. I said I would never do that again, but I seen videos and read where people had good results with A-max and eld-m bullets so I decided to give them a try and had some 129gr interlocks just in case. The 147gr eld-m ammunition performed flawlessly. The longest shot taken was on a doe at 365 yards. She was angled away. I placed the bullet behind her shoulder and it fully exited her far side shoulder. She dropped in her tracks. Every other animal followed suit. Not one step. I shoot just in front of the shoulder anytime I can. I would not hesitate to use this ammunition again as it performs similar to a jacketed soft point.
Good report. I've had a lot of good results using ELD M for everything from Javelina to antelope (the one in my profile pic was taken with a 225 gr ELD M).

Did all of the bullets pass through? Just curious if any stayed inside the animal where you could examine what it looked like. I dropped 3 whitetails in their tracks this year with the 143 gr Eld-X but if the eld-m performs pretty similarly I might just go over to them for the higher BC.

@HeadHunter10
I had complete pass through even at the 365 yards. The bullet held together to enter behind the shoulder and exit out the shoulder of the opposite side. The sheep were taken at half the distance with complete pass through. From the exit wounds it seems like the bullets are holding together well at closer shots and expanding out to the 365yards (measured with rangefinder) that i took one of the whitetail at.

I woould not reccomend hornady’s 140gr bthp and didnt use the 140 eld-m but I would not hesitate to use the 147gr eld-m again. In fact i will use them again. I’m not sure the increase in BC over the 143 eldx is a huge deal in itself though unless you are realy flinging them out there. I have a 400yd limit on deer myself. No limit on sheep or hogs.

Reactions: HeadHunter10
Awesome write up. Its a good feeling to have a full freezer.

I normally hunt with barnes ttsx factory ammo but keep hearing great things about the eldm and eldx. Thanks for the report!

I'm really glad people are having good luck with the 147's, it's what I plan on loading for antelope this year!

Reactions: wade2big