• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just bought a KAC URX 3.1, did I make a mistake?

mason.ostrom

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
I just bought a KAC URX 3.1 31" hand guard and I'm starting to rethink my purchase.It has not arrived yet so I do not have it in hand to really get a feel for it. I also bought one of the deluxe panel kits for the URX. I bought it to possibly replace my PRI gen III and full length top rail in an effort to save some weight, and get a little more ergonomic hand guard. Looks like Ill save about 9 oz with the KAC which isn't much, but its something. The rifle is my do all AR. 16" Rainier Arms Rock creek barrel with rifle length gas, SiCo Spectra 7.62 suppressor, Atlas bipod, B5 stock, Triggertech trigger. I know there are lighter, more modern hand guards out there, but I kind of like some of the classic parts from 5-10 years ago (like the PRI and the URX). Do any of you still have a URX 3.1? Do you like it and does it still seem like a relevant part considering the more recent inventions of key-mod, m-lok and the super light weight rail systems out there? Oh, and just as a last note I do have access to borrow one of the $120 KAC barrel nut wrenches so that part is not an issue. Thanks a lot guys!
Mason

You bought a KAC part, and you're worried it isn't awesome enough??

The hell is wrong with you?

P.S. - Really depends what rail system you like. URX 3.1 feels about the same as keymod as far as how slim it is, yet doesn't have the keyholes everywhere. I have it on a M110, and keymod on a SR15Mod1. Depends what you like, as there are really no pros/cons over each other as far as being a rail.

20170218_181604.jpg
We used a 13" on my wife's RECCE, cut with the mk12 profile and set up to run the AE can. Very comfortable, even without the panal kit. Rifle with Aimpoint patrol and without can is exactly 8#, though we cut the profile of the barrel down under the handguard for her. I like it enough that I have a 10.5" going over my 12.5" SBR.

I have a mk12 clone~ish a few another in 20" and the URX is significantly lighter, but they are different animals.

Last edited:
I have one on an SR-15 MOD 1. It's super comfortable and really light. I think you'll not be let down once you get it installed. I feel like it's an everything you need and nothing you don't kind of set up, especially on a do it all AR.

Cool, thanks guys! I definitely like the way the urx 3.1 looks and, as I recall from handling one a few years ago, liked the way it felt. I was more or less just checking to see if there is something new out there that people felt was a significantly better option in some way or another. Maybe I was just having some buyers remorse, lol.

Personally, I think the Geissle M4 rail is about a nice as it gets for this type of rail, but if you already have the KAC you'd be crazy to not use it.

How difficult is it to install a pinned gas block underneath one? From my understanding, you have to screw the rail on first,then the gas block?

Can't go wrong with a urx 3.1. I loved all of mine. The only rail I prefer is the mlok urx4

Yup... Big time screw-up... better send it to me ASAP...;) !

Had the geiselle and the URX 3.1. I will use the 3.1 on a 14.5 build next week. We changed out the rail on his which was my old urx to troubleshoot an accuracy issue. Oddly, his accuracy returned with the geiselle. I suspect it was the heavy nature of his barrel and suppressor causing gas block contact. There is VERY little room under there for a gas block.

do like the rail though.

Had the geiselle and the URX 3.1. I will use the 3.1 on a 14.5 build next week. We changed out the rail on his which was my old urx to troubleshoot an accuracy issue. Oddly, his accuracy returned with the geiselle. I suspect it was the heavy nature of his barrel and suppressor causing gas block contact. There is VERY little room under there for a gas block.

do like the rail though.

Thats good to know. I will watch for contact when I get things all put together. I pretty much always shoot suppressed using a Silencerco specwar 762 which is a heavy beast. The good thing is my barrel is rifle length gas, so the hand guard will not cover the gas block.