• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Just bought. S&W M&P 22

FSRbikr98

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
Long Island, NY
So for weeks I've been looking at 22 conversion kits and 22 pistols. With the cost of ammo I am getting to the range less and less with my 9mm's. I decided a 22 was in my future and started my research.

I initially wanted a walther p22. But a friend of mine had multiple issues with his. Even the guy at my lgs said it's been a problem pistol, and after handling I wasn't sold

Next up was the sig p226 conversion (bought a 226 elite a few months ago). But not locking back on the last round, and the cost of the mag followers and mags from so power wasnt to inspiring.

Went back to the lgs, and started messing with the ruger sr22p. Kinda liked it, but my work gun is dao, and the goofy safety/decocker was a minus. Still interested in it but for now it'll get pushed in my maybe pile.

Last up, and the hardest to find was the m&p 22. I kept going back for weeks and finally they got one in stock. After messing with it for a little bit, I really liked it. So here I am. The proud owner of a brand spanking new 22lr pistol. Havent gotten to the range yet but the trigger feels really nice, and the mags drop free and appear to be quality.

The only thing I need is a holster for this thing, another mag(To practice reloads) and some trigger time. Any holster suggestions would be appreciated, as well as sight recommendations. Not sure how I feel about the no dot rears

Stand by for a range report today. I have 500 cci minimags for testing.

Re: Just bought. S&W M&P 22

Bought mine 2 weeks ago, went home, attached supressor and killed 3 pumpkins. Freaking awesome gun. Sold my Walther to fund it and will not look back. Plus, my carry gun is an M&P so I can achieve a level of training much cheaper. You will love it.

And if it wasn't for me convincing bunny punter to pick one up he'd still have his p22. Not bagging on the p22 because it has served our purposes well and have had little problems with the one i owned, just decided it was too small. So i went with the MP22 as well and looking forward to sending some rounds down range tomorrow. Let us know how yours works out.

Good training gun if you want to eventually move someone to a 9mm or 40 M&P. Not bad for a gun that is $150 cheaper than a regular M&P. Not sure if all of the M&P 22s come with a safety but mine did. Very cheap feeling plastic safety but that is what you get at this price point (I paid $331 shipped for mine). I swear the safety actually bends, it feel like slightly 'bendy' plastic, but maybe that is my imagination.

Would have liked it to come with two mags, I do not even want to think how expensive an extra mag is going to be. I read somewhere that it was supposed to come with two mags but Walther, who makes the mags, could not make enough in time for the release. I read that on the internet so it must be true.

Just picked some mags up from East Texas Shooting Supply for just under $24.00. And if you cannot find the 12 rnd mags, the 10 rnd mags can be easily converted to 12 rnd, so long as your state allows for "hi cap" magazines.

I wish i'd have seen your post earlier on the mags. I just ordered some and could have saved a couple $$. How do you modify the 10 to a 12. Cut the bottom off the follower?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eznutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish i'd have seen your post earlier on the mags. I just ordered some and could have saved a couple $$. How do you modify the 10 to a 12. Cut the bottom off the follower? </div></div>

I sent u a link. No cutting required

I hit the range breifly today and it is a shooter. Very comfortable and i think it was an excellent add to my collection.

FSRbikr98, thanks for the link. The gun i picked up had a 10 round that came with it and i thought it was the 12 round so because of the vid you sent me i quickly removed the piece above the follower and it still shot perfectly.

so thankyou for the link.

Range update:

So today (Friday) I was finally able to put some rounds through my new pistol

450 to be exact of cci standard velocity 40g.

To say I am impressed would not do this little gun justice.

Throughout my range session, I did not have a single ftf or fte. I expected a few, being that .22lr isn't exactly known for perfect reliability, but it never happened. I cleaned and oiled the gun with MPro before the the range , and that was it.

I started off with 5 rounds in the mag, shooting slow strings to get used to the gun and the sights. Once I felt comfortable, I loaded all 12 and started having fun.

I shot strong hand, weak hand, one handed; basically any way I normally would but without worrying about ammo getting low, since I had a ton. I also shot center mass strings at 10 and 15 yards as fast as I could pull the trigger.

I love this little gun, it felt great in my hand, and controls were extremely easy to manipulate. The mag dropped free like any other pistol, and im ordering more ASAP.

The sights are not great, but they aren't terrible. My best group at 15 yards was about 3 inches. But I know the gun can do better I am just very out of practice. I am def doing to order the Dawson precision front fiber optic sight, and hopefully fiber optic rears if anyone is making them. If you never changed the sights and just used the stock ones you wouldn't be disappointed.

The trigger was better then I expected, but that probably has to do with my duty gun having a 12lb pull. Honestly it's no race gun, but it worked great and broke nicely. On some reviews I watched/read the person stated there was no positive reset. Well my gun def has a nice trigger reset, so I dunno what others are talking about.

The safety I only used once, wish it wasn't there but I had no issues with accidentally activating it. I'll never use it since none of my other guns have safeties. If you are a 1911 shooter you'll probably tolerate it but it isn't as positive as those guns.

The weight of the pistol is light, but the balance is extremely nice. If the M&P9 is this good it's on my list, and I hope my dept is taking a look at it as a duty weapon. The weight balance also put the gun back on target quickly after each shot which allowed for very rapid engagement.

Overall if you want a good plinker/trainer in .22lr, I highly recommend this pistol. I was really able to focus on the fundamentals and shoot lots of rounds without maxing out my credit card. In the next few days ill be trying some other loads and report back. But with good .22 ammo this thing should run like a top. If .22 was all I could handle as a CCW gun, then I would not hesitate to carry this after what I experienced today.

Thanks for reading and I'll update as soon as I can.

Regarding safety, don't use mine either. As stated ^ ^ ^, it feels flimsy because it is. A friend broke his off being overly aggressive with a "draw & shoot" exercise. I primarily shoot 1911s and simply rest my right thumb on top the safety.

You don't need a video to convert 10 to 12. Remove the magazine floor plate, then remove the aluminum spacer under the spring and assemble.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnypunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought mine 2 weeks ago, went home, attached supressor and killed 3 pumpkins. Freaking awesome gun. Sold my Walther to fund it and will not look back. Plus, my carry gun is an M&P so I can achieve a level of training much cheaper. You will love it. </div></div>

I was thinking about getting an M&P 22 for training as well but I can't find one with a threaded barrel. Did you buy a threaded barrel or is there an adapter for the m&p?

I think you'll really enjoy it. I got mine almost a year ago and it's run like a machine. Threaded and came w/2 extra 12rd mags for a total of 3. I don't care for the thumb safety but have gotten used to it. At the time I had a 9mm Pro that I used occasionally in USPSA and multi-gun matches. The kydex rig I used for it works great for the little .22.

Ok great, that's another thing I was curious about. I also shoot IDPA so I wanted to make sure the holsters still can be used . Thanks for th info.

Can I ask where you picked up the M&P 22 with the threaded barrel? Can't seem to find one....

The mag pouches don't work of course but the holster works fine. It takes an adapter like the Walther. A buddy I shoot IPSC with is a dealer. He got 3 or 4 in last Nov/Dec. I took one of the threaded one's as a Christmas present to myself. Since I was in the middle of a divorce I didn't have to get her anything
wink.gif
... Not sure about now but back then they were hard to find threaded or not. Since I got mine I haven't really paid attention to who has them in stock. Maybe Gunbroker or the FS section of a forum?

Update:

Just put another 250 rounds of cci ar tactical through the gun.

No ftf. No fte. This gun is incredible.

It's actually my favorite pistol to shoot now. I really can't get enough.

I brought my Sig 226 elite with me this time, and after the .22 the first round through the Sig felt like a 12 gauge! I gotta say it really humbles you knowing that much power is in your hands. I felt like a new shooter all over again, still need to shoot more though, I'm out of practice.

For the money, this gun has went well above my expectations. I look forward to having this gun for many years to come.

They use same suppressor/thread adapter as the walther p22 no surprise there cause their made by the same people that make the P22.

It will fit any m&p holster that I know of and fits most glock 21 holsters or at least the black hawk and safari land holsters.

Have had mine for a year and run it only on bulk pack with maybe 3 to 5 duds per 500 rounds. Run it both suppressed and unsuppressed with no problems. Only started to get mild jams at the 2000 round count with no cleaning.