• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

just completed 12 hour mountain bike race

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    So I have been mountain biking for a long time now and have raced some (amature). However on the 22nd I completed my 1st ever 12 hour event. I raced in the solo singlespeed class, there wasnt many of us, cant imagine why. I have only been on a singlespeed for a few months now and am loving it! The race was a 7 mile lap in typical New England terrain: ROOTS & ROCKS! It rained for about 2 hours before the race and for the 1st hour or 2 after the start but not heavy just a good slow soaker. The trails were greasy all day and seemed to get worse as the day went on. Especially the 2X4 bridges and roots that were ripped open. I went into the race sick for 2 weeks with a sinus cold. I was pounding meds to help with the sinus prob but didnt think about it dehydrating me. Hell I was so sick I dont think I would of cared. So none the less about lap 3 I started cramping like a SOB in my quads. But I kept pounding the fluids both recovery type drinks and H2O and by lap 5 the cramps were done. I ended up with 9 laps in 11 hours 58 min, all in all I was very happy. My last lap was in the dark and the fog rolled in heavy & my energy was in the can. I think looking back on it the 9th lap was my favorite b/c I didnt quit on my self.

It was an awesome event with all skill levels riding and having fun in the woods. There were family teams, parrent and kid teams, coed, solo geared, 2,3,or 4 person geared teams, 2 person singlespeed, and the best solo singlespeed just to name a few of the teams. I was cool to see so many youth (teenagers) out there gutting it out! Actually the fastest lap was turned by a 16 year old boy @ 36 min or so. For that coures that was scootin along.

I just thought I would pass this good time along. I also wanted to tell anyone who may think they would like to get out and try something like this to do it! You will meet some great people and have a ball. But most importantly you can learn a lot about your self in the process. With as sick as I was I was hoping to get maybe 7 laps in. But insted I turned in 9 and came in 4th in my cass I think (still waiting on the official results email). They only figured the top 3 places to save time b/c there were so many racers.

So go out there and push your self!!

Re: just completed 12 hour mountain bike race

Sounds like a fun event. We are talking about combining mountain bikes and shooting. We like to ride and shoot out here in the Rocky Mountains so it's a logical progression for us.

Re: just completed 12 hour mountain bike race

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a fun event. We are talking about combining mountain bikes and shooting. We like to ride and shoot out here in the Rocky Mountains so it's a logical progression for us. </div></div>Awesome idea!!! I'm in!

I need an excuse to get the new Trek Remedy 9.
    wink.gif