• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just found a hurt buck on the side of the road

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Was on the way home from the parent's house for Thanksgiving and noticed a hurt deer on the side of the road. I stopped and it looked like a car clipped him. He was only a little spiker whitetail.

At least 4 trucks / SUV's stopped and one guy seemed kinda pissed I was on the phone with PA State Police because he said he was just going to shoot him.

I betcha they wanted him for meat.

I'm a CCW holder but the dispatcher said I shouldn't put it down.

I didn't know if I should've tried to help him up but I didn't want one of those spikes or legs coming back at me.

Re: Just found a hurt buck on the side of the road

I think you did the right thing, seeing as how the wildlife service can probably nurse it back to health.

As for the douche bag who wanted to shoot him and take him for meat, I hope the asshole dies of gonorrhea and rots in hell. There is no sport in killing an animal that you didn't have to hunt.

It would be different had it been terminally injured but from the sound of things, that wasn't the case. What a shit heel.

how is hunting for meat worse than hunting for "sport"... are you fucking kidding me?

you really think there's something better about stalking and killing a perfectly healthy animal over an injured one is more humane?

I think killing for "sport" is what makes someone a douche

I just think it's 'cheap' kill...to shoot an animal without having to put in the effort to actually 'hunt' the animal. That is what I mean by the 'sport' of hunting. At least the animal has a chance out in the wild instead of crippled along the road waiting for someone to shamelessly pull the trigger on it. Does that make sense?

I don't believe in killing for the sake of killing unless we're talking about coyotes, wild hogs, and such like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no sport in killing an animal that you didn't have to hunt. </div></div>

By this, I assume your a Vegan ? Give me a fucking Break... it's a Deer that got hit by a car, shoot it in the head and put it in the freezer where it belongs...

For the Record, incase your so out of touch with Reality that you don't realize this... NONE of the Meat at the grocery store was Fair Chase ! It's all from High Fence areas... Not Sporting. Sorry if I ruined your meal...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how is hunting for meat worse than hunting for "sport"... are you fucking kidding me?

you really think there's something better about stalking and killing a perfectly healthy animal over an injured one is more humane?

I think killing for "sport" is what makes someone a douche</div></div>

***for the win****

That, and putting the animal out of its misery, as well as UTILIZING its value, as opposed to just letting its life and existence to go to waste.

I'm not one for 'wanton killing' of wildlife, but at the same time I'm also not one for unnecessary misery or waste.

Ha ha! A vegan I am not. I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on a crippled deer when there might be a chance it could be nursed back to health, then I'll hunt it down for my table. LoL

Eating meat from the market is much different, if you're referring to beef and pork and chicken. Those are bred to be eaten so comparing the killing of a cow/pig/chicken in no way compares to killing a helpless deer. If its deemed by the game ranger that the deer will have to be put down, I'd gladly volunteer to do the job and take it home! lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha ha! A vegan I am not.<span style="color: #FF0000"> I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on a crippled deer when there might be a chance it could be nursed back to health</span>, then I'll hunt it down for my table. LoL

Eating meat from the market is much different, if you're referring to beef and pork and chicken. Those are bred to be eaten so comparing the killing of a cow/pig/chicken in no way compares to killing a helpless deer. If its deemed by the game ranger that the deer will have to be put down, I'd gladly volunteer to do the job and take it home! lol

</div></div>

How much of your tax dollars do you think it takes to nurse this wild animal back to health? How much do you think those people REALLY care about putting forth the effort to nurse it back to health? I would say one way or another it ends up in a freezer faster then you think.

What is inhumane is letting the animal suffer on the side of the road while cars drive by it doing nothing. If you wanted to help it you should either end its suffering or stand there and wait for someone to come and get it, which they will probably hurt it even worse capturing it.

Good grief. Should have just shot the damned thing.
It's bad enough that it already dented someone's car.
I could see trying to save a white tiger or something like that, but there is no shortage of deer.

It amazes me when I see the news clips of firemen and rescue helicopters trying to save a deer from the ice or something like that. Putting human lives and resources at risk for something like that is insane.

Snipers need live target practice, so just take the damned shot and have a cookout.

So what you're saying is the humane society or whatever green peace organization should take in "road" injured animals? So they should tranquilize said deer, take him into an emergency vet and do a 4D sonagram or ultrasound and see what internal injuries are existant? Of course thereupon finding anything they'll need to do some sort of emergency surgery. Should they intibate deer, bear or raccoons hit by cars too? What about performing a tracheotomy if the animals airway is blocked?

ETA: don't forget physical therapy to follow all this up.

Too funny. Shoot the dang thing and be done with it. Here we are on a site where people put together/buy rifles capable of shooting sub-inch groups at 100 yards (anything more would be laughed at) then use them to shoot game at that same range, and claim to be "sporting". What the hell is sporting about shooting an animal with such a highly accurate weapon too far away to really wind you easily but too close to be a skill/accuracy challenge?

Save the taxpayers money and put the meat in the freezer.

Shoulda shot it and put it out of its misery. If you didn't have the stones to do it, you should have handed over your weapon to the <span style="font-weight: bold">man</span> who wanted it for meat.

Just put a bullet in behind its ears and let the gamies habdle the fucker. Unless you have a tag for it, then tag the shit and take it home. Just dont get caught bringing home a deer, hit or not, without a legal tag.

I shot a deer that got stuck in the combine head earlier today. Our neighbour who came to clean in said it had TB and was no good. One leg was ripped completely off and the other three were busted in at least two places.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I didn't know if I should've tried to help him up but I didn't want one of those spikes or legs coming back at me. </div></div>

Good plan...one of the worst ass-kickings I've ever seen wasadministered by an injured whitetail doe on the dumb ass who thought he should "help" the poor thing...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just think it's 'cheap' kill...to shoot an animal without having to put in the effort to actually 'hunt' the animal. That is what I mean by the 'sport' of hunting. At least the animal has a chance out in the wild instead of crippled along the road waiting for someone to shamelessly pull the trigger on it. Does that make sense?

I don't believe in killing for the sake of killing unless we're talking about coyotes, wild hogs, and such like that. </div></div>

Yep! much better to leave the critter limping about until the coyotes get to him and eat him alive..,

and just for the record...when the CO or a cop shows up, he's not going to rescue the poor thing...he's going to put a bullet in his head and either take him to a food pantry or leave it there to rot....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoulda shot it and put it out of its misery. If you didn't have the stones to do it, you should have handed over your weapon to the <span style="font-weight: bold">man</span> who wanted it for meat.
</div></div>

I was <span style="font-weight: bold">advised by LAW ENFORCEMENT</span> to not discharge a weapon on a public road. Read the fucking post. Dumbass.

Badass attitude like yours should be nowhere near weaponry.

And just who the fuck are you to question whether I'm "man enough" to shoot a fucking animal? Are you that dimwitted?

Fuckin idiot.

And yes, I would've rather seen him get up so I can hunt him in a few years when he's had a better life than death by Honda Civic.

Call me old fashioned, but maybe that's the way my Grandfather taught me when we used to hunt. I have a higher respect for wildlife than some people (see above post).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoulda shot it and put it out of its misery. If you didn't have the stones to do it, you should have handed over your weapon to the <span style="font-weight: bold">man</span> who wanted it for meat.
</div></div>

I was <span style="font-weight: bold">advised by LAW ENFORCEMENT</span> to not discharge a weapon on a public road. Read the fucking post. Dumbass.

And just who the fuck are you to question whether I'm "man enough" to shoot a fucking animal? Are you that dimwitted?

Fuckin idiot.</div></div>

LMFAO! I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking to you but to me when he made those comments and if you'll notice, I didn't respond.

Having compassion on wounded wildlife doesn't make me any less of a man anymore than people running their mouth makes them a tough guy.

If an animal has a fighting chance, whether wild or domestic, I'll do what I can to help it survive. If I need the meat to survive, that would put a different spin on things. I have no problem squeezing the trigger when it's needed.

To each their own, that's all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And yes, I would've rather seen him get up so I can hunt him in a few years when he's had a better life than death by Honda Civic.

Call me old fashioned, but maybe that's the way my Grandfather taught me when we used to hunt. I have a higher respect for wildlife than some people (see above post). </div></div>

+1

Those are my sentiments exactly!

In most states it's illegal to take roadkill.

There is this act of humanity that comes along, granted the deer could get nursed back to health, and then get hit by anoher vehicle or shot.

But it's a human thing, we invented cars and overrode the environment, so in these little times it shows some humanity.

I would be the first to put one down if it were in misery but something like this - good call.

I've had a seagull, a crow, and I think even a pidgeon that I nursed back and let go, some died....(Well fed LOL)

Years ago my brother came upon a lady who had hit a nice 4-point with her car (accidentally). She was very distraught, as the Buck was hurt bad and moaning loudly. Another guy pulled over, pulled a shovel out of his truck and went over and whacked the hapless buck on the head and ended it's suffering. The lady completely came unglued, obviously missing the "ended it's suffering" part. The guy being hollered an cussed at said "hey lady, you hit the poor thing, what would you have me do?" No word on who salvaged the carcass and horns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoulda shot it and put it out of its misery. If you didn't have the stones to do it, you should have handed over your weapon to the <span style="font-weight: bold">man</span> who wanted it for meat.
</div></div>

Fuckin idiot. </div></div>

For your future reference, under 34 Pa. C.S., Ch. 25 SCh. A, § 2504:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>Sec. 2504. Shooting on or across highways.
(a) General rule.--It is unlawful for any person to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is on a public highway or on a highway open to use or used by the public or to shoot across a public highway or a highway or roadway open to use or used by the public unless the line of fire is high enough above the elevation of the highway to preclude any danger to the users of the highway. It shall be unlawful for any person, after alighting from a motor vehicle being driven on or stopped on or along a public highway or road open to public travel, to shoot at any wild bird or wild animal while the person doing the shooting is within 25 yards of the traveled portion of the public highway or road open to public travel.
(b) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree.</pre></div></div>

Yes, let it to the po-po or a WCO to take care of business, no matter how cruel it seems, or you may just get a fine and lose the firearm. On the other hand, if you hit it, you can call in for a permit number and keep the carcass, according to my last understanding. Some critters require a fee, others, no.

Thankfully I'm not one of those who need to call and get permission to do the right and ethical thing...

Nor do I feel the need to champion passing responsibility off on someone else so, I can FEEL BETTER about being completely incapable of acting.

Far as I'm concerned, deer are vermin and pose a deadly threat to Me & My fellow motorcyclists. Every time I ride at night around here, I have to dodge at least one deer, usually more.

A dead deer is a good deer.

Anyone that has had to pay a couple of insurance deductilbles because of these range rats would gladly shoot it, no matter how cute they might look in movies or on the Animal Planet.

bambi.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out why some people think so much of deer but not so much of other animals such as hogs, coyotes and prairie dogs? They do realize that deer damage crops and get hit by cars causing who knows how manys accidents a year plus fatalities for some motorcycle riders. It just amazes me that deer are on a pedestal to so many people.

Mother nature is the cruel one and plays no freakin games. to bad it got injured and shit happens...put it down and move on, cause the coyotes will kill it slowly and show no mercy. hopefully some one could enjoy its meat as will the yotes. there is no fixing the deer it will die one way or the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still trying to figure out why some people think so much of deer but not so much of other animals such as <span style="font-weight: bold">hogs, coyotes and prairie dogs</span>?

They do realize that deer damage crops and get hit by cars causing who knows how manys accidents a year plus fatalities for some motorcycle riders. It just amazes me that deer are on a pedestal to so many people.</div></div>

If you can't figure that one out on your own, no amount of explaining it to you would do any good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still trying to figure out why some people think so much of deer but not so much of other animals such as <span style="font-weight: bold">hogs, coyotes and prairie dogs</span>?

They do realize that deer damage crops and get hit by cars causing who knows how manys accidents a year plus fatalities for some motorcycle riders. It just amazes me that deer are on a pedestal to so many people.</div></div>

If you can't figure that one out on your own, no amount of explaining it to you would do any good. </div></div>

I would like to hear your explanation for this because in my opinion a deer is a varmint too. They cause millions of dollars in vehicle damage and crop damage every year so I don't see them any different. They are over populated where I live which is the same reasons that people give for other varmints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still trying to figure out why some people think so much of deer but not so much of other animals such as <span style="font-weight: bold">hogs, coyotes and prairie dogs</span>?

If you can't figure that one out on your own, no amount of explaining it to you would do any good. </div></div>

Sounds to me like you just DON'T have a valid explanation for his question. Oh and by the way, I wasn't referring to you in my other post, I was talking about the OP but if the shoe fits...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you did the right thing, seeing as how the wildlife service can probably nurse it back to health.

As for the douche bag who wanted to shoot him and take him for meat, I hope the asshole dies of gonorrhea and rots in hell. There is no sport in killing an animal that you didn't have to hunt.

It would be different had it been terminally injured but from the sound of things, that wasn't the case. What a shit heel. </div></div>

I couldn't agree with you more, last year I came upon a doe in the middle of the road that had just been hit. There was broken glass all over the place and the poor deer had a broken leg that was flopping all over the place (freaked the wife out big time). I called the police and they came and shot it unfortunately, I just could not do it myself, it being not a sporting kill, and the fact that I felt really bad for it. I couldn't believe the people that hit it just left the poor thing there, but who knows it could have been a mother and her kids or something.

The humane thing to do is to take the animal out of its misery. Why let it suffer, it's an animal not a person.

You did the right thing, as it could be illegal to shoot the injured deer by the road unfortunately. Calling LE to come was correct as they will probably put the deer out of its misery.

That's what the wildlife officer would have done to the injured deer in NC. They are not an endangered species. I can understand nursing it back to health if it is an endangered species or a pet, but not one of the millions of deer I see dead on the road everyday.

Having been dispatched to more than one Deer hit call, I can say a few things:
1. The dispatch did not give you permission to shoot the deer because she does not know if your gtg or a dummy who will hurt himself or someone else.
2. You dont shoot the deer for "Sport" you do it to put the poor creature out of its misery.
3. No one is going to respond to nurse the deer back to health.
4. The meat might as well feed someone who could use it. We used to give it to the poor.
5. Some of this thread is like a bad dream

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having been dispatched to more than one Deer hit call, I can say a few things:
1. The dispatch did not give you permission to shoot the deer because she does not know if your gtg or a dummy who will hurt himself or someone else.
2. You dont shoot the deer for "Sport" you do it to put the poor creature out of its misery.
4. The meat might as well feed someone who could use it. We used to give it to the poor.
5. Some of this thread is like a bad dream </div></div>

Correct +1

Oh and you have a double post on this for some reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4. The meat might as well feed someone who could use it. We used to give it to the poor.
</div></div>

That's a good thing to do, but most of the time a road-killed deer isn't worth skinning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you did the right thing, seeing as how the wildlife service can probably nurse it back to health.

It would be different had it been terminally injured but from the sound of things, that wasn't the case. What a shit heel. </div></div>

I couldn't agree with you more, last year I came upon a doe in the middle of the road that had just been hit. There was broken glass all over the place and the poor deer had a broken leg that was flopping all over the place (freaked the wife out big time). I called the police and they came and shot it unfortunately, I just could not do it myself, it being not a sporting kill, and the fact that I felt really bad for it. I couldn't believe the people that hit it just left the poor thing there, but who knows it could have been a mother and her kids or something. </div></div>
I really can't believe these statements coming from someone who professes to be an "ethical sportsman" The "ethical" thing is to dispatch the suffering animal with just speed! As for it not being "terminally injured", I say that if it wasn't it would NOT be laying on the side of a road with cars driving by all day. If it was in any way capable of removing itself from there it would have done so. I say that if you were that deer, & were injured, with broken legs, probable internal bleeding, & in a lot of pain with no hope for medical attention you would want the bullet! To not end it's misery due to some misguided sense of "sportsmanship" is cruelty on the highest order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I really can't believe these statements coming from someone who professes to be an "ethical sportsman" The "ethical" thing is to dispatch the suffering animal with just speed! As for it not being "terminally injured", I say that if it wasn't it would NOT be laying on the side of a road with cars driving by all day. If it was in any way capable of removing itself from there it would have done so. I say that if you were that deer, & were injured, with broken legs, probable internal bleeding, & in a lot of pain with no hope for medical attention you would want the bullet! To not end it's misery due to some misguided sense of "sportsmanship" is cruelty on the highest order.
</div></div>

That's my opinion too. Well put.

I think people are looking at hunting/shooting it and "what's best" at the same time. IMO, putting the animal out of it's misery is the primary objective. THEN one has to decide what to do with the conscientiously dispatched animal...use it or lose it. I'd prefer to use it.

Also, I live in a county that has exactly TWO deputies assigned for any given shift. When they respond to a wounded animal I've never heard it closed with anything other than "...animal dispatched, clear and enroute to [next call]"

I'd be pissed if my store was broken into by a meth head at 0200 because the deputy that is normally around there was off in a remote part of the county dispatching a damned deer. But that's just me.
I understand if someone doesn't want to do it, but don't bitch when someone that <span style="text-decoration: underline">respects the animal and its current state</span> does. BTDT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having been dispatched to more than one Deer hit call, I can say a few things:
5. Some of this thread is like a bad dream </div></div>

+1 from me as well.

I remember taking driver's training during high school in Montana. The instructor said at least once a day, if a deer or other animal runs out in front of you, do everything you can to slow down but don't leave your lane, squash the stupid deer if it doesn't move. I drove a tow truck during college, I wish more people had heard that advice becuase we towed a lot of cars where people were badly hurt or killed trying to miss a deer. My boss wouldn't let me carry a gun so I carried an aluminum bat to do mercy killings on deer and other critters that had been hit and were still suffering when I arrived.