• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Just got my first Atlas (V8)...not sure I like it

gunderwood

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2009
Virginia
Just picked up a V8 and the claw feet. It seems decently well made, but I'm not sold on it yet.

The key issue for me seems to be that when you load the bipod the ball mount moves. Yes, I realize you can tighten the ball (big twist knob), but I can't seem to load the bipod sufficiently for my liking until the 15 degrees of cant mechanically runs out.

With the legs at a 45 degree angle it is solid, but again, only after the cant runs out. With the legs at 90 degrees (like a normal bipod) my ability to load the bipod is practically nill. Since the whole bipod is tilted forward 15 degrees the legs are actually at 105 degrees which doesn't seem to work for me.

What is the proper technique for loading this bipod? I like the ability to track moving targets, but it just doesn't seem stable enough for my liking.

Re: Just got my first Atlas (V8)...not sure I like it

Here is a picture showing how it doesn't stabilize until the cant runs out. The rifle is level.

cantq.jpg

The leg locking mechanism has some play in it (which you would expect with any mechanical device), but mine seems a bit much. With the legs fully retracted the play in the legs alone allows them to shift at least 1/4" (it is hard to measure it very precisely). Quick trig says that is 2.5-3 degrees of play. Not bad, but not great either.

The other odd thing is my tension adjust nut (big twist knob) is very loose. I don't know if it is suppose to do that, but I kinda expected it to not rattle.

I'm not trying to bash this product, I am trying to understand if I got a lemon (doesn't matter how good your QC is, it happens) or am somehow using it wrong. I've tried mounting it all over the rail to no avail (the picture shows it in the middle, but I've tried several other locations too).

I didn't like mine at first either, seems too loose compared to my harris. Now after shooting with it for 8 months I won't give it up and ordered another.

Give it some time and shoot with it... a lot.

Hmm, sounds like you need to give Accu-Shot and Kasey a call. I just double checked on one of my V8 bipods and I definitely do not have that play at all in mine. Also the tension adjust nut in my V8 bipods are not ever all that loose. Even fully backed off I do not have that play in my bipod and cannot duplicate what your picture shows. I have never had any trouble loading my Atlas bipods both V7 and V8. Kasey has always given me great customer service and stood behind his products.

I like the fact that the bipod has forward cant. It seems to provide a better platform for loading than a solid platform like the harris. The only issue I have with it is that the feet roll like wheels, and the rifle gets away from me if I am not holding it in exactly the right position.

I made some quick videos showing the issues. Are these suppose to do this?

Loose Legs:
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2135/legs.mp4
Notice the ball mount which provides cant/pan is not moving. This is purely play in the leg locking mechanism.

Loose tension nut:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3137/tensionnut.mp4
It does seem to tighten/loosen a bit when rotated (the ball, not the nut), but the nut has enough play in it to rattle.

Again, I just recieved this today and this is my first so I'm trying to figure out if I should call accu-shot up.

My tension nut is not like that at all. I would call Accu-shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wanna sell it? </div></div>
If the answer is mine is working as designed, absolutely.

How do you like the height of the Atlas versus the Harris?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you like the height of the Atlas versus the Harris? </div></div>
I had a GGG on this before, but I've used the Harris too, just not on this gun. It seems a bit higher (Harris markets the leg lengths rather than the actual height raised), but I don't think you would notice a difference unless you used them back to back. Practically the height is awash between them IMHO. Of course it depends on which Harris model you are using.

I might be selling the GGG too.

I watched your videos.
The legs on mine have a little play, but not like yours, and your tension nut is DEFINITELY not right. Give Kasey a call, he will take care of it.(316) 721-3222

johndoe, the height with the legs at 90 degrees is about the same as noted, however, you can lock the legs in 45 degrees forward and it gets you to about 4" height. The fact that you can get lower with them is one of the reasons I am slowly converting my Harris to Atlas bipods.

madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only issue I have with it is that the feet roll like wheels </div></div>

Thats my only dislike also. The V9 needs to have non rotating legs.

To the OP, the nut is obviously defective and should be covered under warranty. I will say though, the Atlas does have a looser feel than the Harris. I personally like the Atlas better than the Harris and feel I can get much better preload on it. If you decide you don't want it I'll trade you 2 Harris bipods for it. You don't even have to get it fixed first. I'll even pay shipping.

gunderwood, Sorry for your experience and something is wrong with that Atlas so send it back.

Did you buy it new and if so, did you use any tools on it trying to "tighten" it up?

Don't mean to hijack here but I'll give you a call as well tomorow Kasey. My Atlas is doing the same thing as the original post describes - legs and tension nut. I bought mine new from Triad. It was delivered early last week and I just got around to put it on. I attempted no adjustments of any kind.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gunderwood, Sorry for your experience and something is wrong with that Atlas so send it back.

Did you buy it new and if so, did you use any tools on it trying to "tighten" it up?</div></div>

I thought it might have been a lemon because I've heard great things about the Atlas. As I said before, I'm not worried about getting a lemon because it happens to every product if you make enough of them...as long as I can get it fixed in a reasonable timeframe.

I bought it new from US Tactical. I have only put it on and tightened the tension adjust by hand. No tools have touched it except the screw driver that is required to clamp it to the rail. I.e. I have only mounted it and have not tried to fix any of the issues, I thought it would be wise to ask first.

Should I try to tighten it up or should I just send it back?

Should I send it to this address (from your website) or is there special service address?
B&T Industries L.L.C.
P.O. Box 771071, Wichita, KS 67277

Thanks.

Thanks and yes please send it back to us at the POB and be sure to reference your SH screen name.