• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just got my first Thumler's Tumbler and SS media from STM

SavageLapua

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Just picked it up from the post office! Looking forward to getting to try this puppy out!

I do have one question though... I'm at work for 12 to 14 hours a day, I was thinking about running the tumbler for 3-4 hours while I'm at work using a timer. Set it to start about 4 hours before I get home so that any sediment doesn't settle. Will it be ok to leave the brass in the tub for that length of time?

I have to give my thumbler a little push every once in a while to get it started, I would not trust it unattended as it could overheat and perhaps burn up the motor or worse.

I have just finished 6,000 LC-5.56 in the SS tumbler
Used a timer and had No problems ( As long as Not over loaded)
Love the way this Brass comes out :)

I've tried them all, and this is by far the best way to clean your brass!! The motor has a over heat protection and is suppose to shut off if it get to hot. I don't over load mine and its worked for years. :)

The timer should work fine as long as you don't way overload it. Also, make sure the drum is dry on the outside. I have had mine slip before when I spilled some water on it. Other than that, my starts fine every time.

I had trouble with mine starting on its own as well. It had 1.6 lbs of brass in it, which was well under the 2lb recommendation. I had to give it a push to get it going, and after a couple hours of running I had massive amounts of plastic shavings laying under each of the plastic bearings. This seemed a little worrisome to me since it was the first time I had ever used it. I called the manufacturer and they said this was "normal". It makes me wonder how long this thing will last. I did squirt some oil on each of the bearings and it seemed to help tremendously. Just seems like they could have designed that a little better.
On the other hand, the stainless steel media rocks. 4 hours in this thing and my brass is spotless, including primer pockets.

I had trouble with mine starting on its own as well. It had 1.6 lbs of brass in it, which was well under the 2lb recommendation. I had to give it a push to get it going, and after a couple hours of running I had massive amounts of plastic shavings laying under each of the plastic bearings. This seemed a little worrisome to me since it was the first time I had ever used it. I called the manufacturer and they said this was "normal". It makes me wonder how long this thing will last. I did squirt some oil on each of the bearings and it seemed to help tremendously. Just seems like they could have designed that a little better.
On the other hand, the stainless steel media rocks. 4 hours in this thing and my brass is spotless, including primer pockets.

You will be giving that tumbler to your grandchildren. That's how long it will last. A couple of suggestions. First make sure the base is level especially side to side. When we load the tumbler it's sitting on it's end with the open end up. Now if you just close it up, flip it on it's side and set it on the base then when it starts it's going to be out of balance and will rotate to one side rubbing against the rubber guides. To prevent this, before setting it on the base flip it on its side and shake it to get the brass to even out along the length of the tub.

On another note, STM says put a gallon of water in the tumbler. That's 8 pounds! I want to clean brass not water so I only put 1/2 gallon in. That's an extra 4 pounds of brass I can clean on each batch.

The timer should work fine as long as you don't way overload it. Also, make sure the drum is dry on the outside. I have had mine slip before when I spilled some water on it. Other than that, my starts fine every time.

I put hockey tape on the drum to help with traction just in case.

SL

I put a little grease on the shafts going through the plastic bearings on the end. It sure made it a lot quieter as well.

SL

I put hockey tape on the drum to help with traction just in case.

SL

Similarly, I use non-skid tape from Home Depot (for wooden deck steps) around each end of the barrel. No slippage issues now, even when wet...

I have a method of pointing a vornado fan at the motor in a way that maximizes air flow across the motor. I used an IR thermometer to measure temps at a certain point on the tumbler motor and it reduced its steady state temp by over 10deg!

These things are rock tumblers, for polishing rocks, they are made to run for days. I would nt worry about burning it up as long as you don't grossly overload it.