• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just got my new 5R and have some newbie questions

MOOSEKNUCKLE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Ohio
Ive done a lot of research on 308 rifles and have been looking at 5R's for a while. I found a deal I couldnt pass up. NIB with a box of Hornady Amax 168s and an unknown brand of scope mount for $700. Can wait to get her scoped up. I heard from a few hide members that they are great rifles if you replace the stock and the trigger. I know it all personal preference but can you give your thoughts and opinions on stock and trigger options. A bolt knob and smith work may be in the future, but I want to get her broke in and see what kind of groups it gets with factory action.
Oh ye, if anyone has a NF NXS I could borrow (for a few years) feel free to PM me
smile.gif

Thanks for the info guys

Re: Just got my new 5R and have some newbie questions

Congrats Moose.

That's a smoking deal. If you dont mind me asking where did you find a deal like that? I've been looking real hard at the McMillan line of stocks. I initially liked the AI 2.0 until I had a chance to shoulder one. They look cool but dont feel cool if that makes any sense. Also, I've seen some Jewell triggers for the 700 series on gunbroker. Many seem to like those. Congrats again. Where abouts are you in Ohio? Let's go shooting sometime. I'm in the west suburbs of Cleveland right on the lake.

Moose,

Remington triggers can be easily adjusted down to a couple pounds. Search for it, it is on the net somewhere. In fact, some of the big names in custom rifles just use tuned Remington triggers. Secondly, see how you like the stock. An AICS is definitely not for everyone and it doesn't sound like you even know if you like the one it came with. The HS Precision is a fine stock for what it is...shoot the dang rifle before making any rash decisions. Invest your money in the following:

1. Good glass
2. Training (Sign up for the online training here if you haven't already)
3. Ammunition

Practice is what will make you a better shooter, not a bunch of high speed, low drag gear. That comes when you can outshoot the mechanical accuracy of the rifle.

Josh

Thanks MD. Ive got plenty of handloads that I bought from a friend and Im gonna bite the big one and get a NF as soon as I quit dry heaving over the price. If there is nothing wrong with the stock (that affects accuracy) it can stay. I will have to see how bad the recoil is before I decide to put a brake on it (My right shoulder is FUBAR). The bolt knob is a must. I love my Badger on my LTR.223. Its supposed to nice this Sat (at least above freezing)so Im hoping to get the break in started.

thats a really good deal, nice pick up.

where in ohio are you?

Here is my 5R with a old style remme trigger in it, I love it, I just really REALLY wish I didn't get the bolt knob. I really would say skip the bolt knob on it, but thats just my preference.

DSC00040-1.jpg

DSC00042-2.jpg

DSC00043-1.jpg

I love my 5r. it shot great out of the box, but since the bedding job and having the trigger worked it's much better. i gotta say i love the badger knob on there as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Moose,

Remington triggers can be easily adjusted down to a couple pounds. Search for it, it is on the net somewhere. In fact, some of the big names in custom rifles just use tuned Remington triggers. Secondly, see how you like the stock. An AICS is definitely not for everyone and it doesn't sound like you even know if you like the one it came with. The HS Precision is a fine stock for what it is...shoot the dang rifle before making any rash decisions. Invest your money in the following:

1. Good glass
2. Training (Sign up for the online training here if you haven't already)
3. Ammunition

Practice is what will make you a better shooter, not a bunch of high speed, low drag gear. That comes when you can outshoot the mechanical accuracy of the rifle.

Josh </div></div>
While I agree with most of this post I have to disagree about the trigger. The "New" X-Mark trigger is a PIECE OF CRAP!!! I had one on my 5R and hated it. I've done my share of adjusting Remington triggers on older rifles and they are pretty easy to work with but the X-Mark is not at all the same. Maybe that's why Remington is now putting a 40X trigger on the LTR... Hmmm...

IMO the best accuracy increasing item is ammunition. Use the rifle in stock garb and shoot the hell out of it. Ammunition meaning spending $400 on ammo to shoot through it is much better spent than replacing the HS stock with an HTG or other "upgrade". The knob can be lived without and be aware that if you go with a big one like the Badger it will more than likely effect how you apply your trigger finger, when I hold a rifle with a Badger knob it hits my index knuckle and forces the trigger to a joint in my finger. My knobs are DD Ross because I like the knurling and the diamater of the knob, but neither one is a necessity to accuracy or even case removal....if you need extra leverage to remove the case you are shooting too hot of loads.

I also like mine as close in as possible, so there isn't a huge thing sticking out from the rifle.

DDROSS2.jpg

100_2849.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my 5R with a old style remme trigger in it, I love it, I just really REALLY wish I didn't get the bolt knob. I really would say skip the bolt knob on it, but thats just my preference.

DSC00040-1.jpg

DSC00042-2.jpg

DSC00043-1.jpg
</div></div>
Looks like you have got plenty of use out of it. What power glass do you have?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO the best accuracy increasing item is ammunition. Use the rifle in stock garb and shoot the hell out of it. Ammunition meaning spending $400 on ammo to shoot through it is much better spent than replacing the HS stock with an HTG or other "upgrade". The knob can be lived without and be aware that if you go with a big one like the Badger it will more than likely effect how you apply your trigger finger, when I hold a rifle with a Badger knob it hits my index knuckle and forces the trigger to a joint in my finger. My knobs are DD Ross because I like the knurling and the diamater of the knob, but neither one is a necessity to accuracy or even case removal....if you need extra leverage to remove the case you are shooting too hot of loads.

I also like mine as close in as possible, so there isn't a huge thing sticking out from the rifle.

DDROSS2.jpg

100_2849.jpg
</div></div>
Who did the knob instal? I like the looks of that one.

Thats a super deal. Buy a high quality scope & have the trigger tuned. Then spend the rest of your money on ammo & shoot the crap out of it. The more I shoot mine the better it gets, or maybe I should say the better I get.

Re: Just got my new 5R and have some newbie questi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "New" X-Mark trigger is a PIECE OF CRAP!!! I had one on my 5R and hated it. I've done my share of adjusting Remington triggers on older rifles and they are pretty easy to work with but the X-Mark is not at all the same. Maybe that's why Remington is now putting a 40X trigger on the LTR... Hmmm... </div></div>

Moose and Oneshot,

I had the pre X-mark on my 700P and had no idea the new one was such a PITA. You could always look around for one or give GAP, APA, or one of the other smiths a call and see if they will sell you a tuned one. It will most definitely be less dough than a jewell. Sorry to hear about the shoulder Moose. Brakes are ok, but I have mixed emotions about them on a 308. I realize you will need it, so do it. The HS Precision has an aluminum bedding block, but those still impart stress. You can bed the action (There are a ton of DIY threads on the site) and that should improve accuracy if it is not decent already. Lastly, when I received my 700P the actions screws were not torqued to spec; make sure you check them.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOOSEKNUCKLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my 5R with a old style remme trigger in it, I love it, I just really REALLY wish I didn't get the bolt knob. I really would say skip the bolt knob on it, but thats just my preference.

DSC00040-1.jpg

DSC00042-2.jpg

DSC00043-1.jpg
</div></div>
Looks like you have got plenty of use out of it. What power glass do you have? </div></div>Its a 5.5-22X50, couldn't be happier with it!
Yeah its seen some paint and a lot of use out and around, its only seen the range once, they just don't have the yards for me at the range.

Shit, they're great rifles if you <span style="font-style: italic">don't</span>replace anything. I've got a stock one in .300 WM that will shoot bug holes with Black Hills Match if I can get all the stars to line up and be consistent in the let off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazarus Long</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit, they're great rifles if you <span style="font-style: italic">don't</span>replace anything. I've got a stock one in .300 WM that will shoot bug holes with Black Hills Match if I can get all the stars to line up and be consistent in the let off. </div></div>
I bet that thing kicks like a mule. How bad is the recoil on a 300?

You know you are shooting something for sure. Makes a 308 feel pretty candy ass. I can usually do 20 rounds prone before my shooting starts to suffer. Took it out today and did some load development, shot a .575'' CTC group at 100 yards with

1x fired Neck sized Black Hills brass, no brass prep at all
77.6 gr H-1000
190 SMK
CCI BR primers, on Lee Collet dies and a Lee Challenger press

Not bad for a belted magnum that I've haven't cleaned since I bought it brand new. Hard to go wrong with a 5R really, especially since they've dropped to around the 1K mark or less now.

Congrats Moose thats a helluva deal. I love my 5R.. Where you located in Ohio? Im in Columbus. Let me know if youre ever around and want to shoot.

Great deal on the 5R.

I would shoot the hell out of it before upgrading the stock. I just bought the same rifle in December and I am still trying to figure out what I want to do with it.

The first thing I did was have the barrel threaded and added my suppressor, so that a sweet addition.

I know the MSR stock is the style of stock I want, but time will tell if I will be able to afford it.

I also want the NF scope, but I will off till everything else is done.

btw where did you get your rifle? was it new? I bought mine from Fin Feather Fur outfitters in mansfield Ohio for $899

Dan Ross put it on and I had turned the stock knob into a hoop thing so Dan had to mount the knob closer to the reciever. Now I love it and have my other rifles setup the exact same knob and exaxt same distance to the tip of the knob. The shorter and smaller knobs are very comfortable. Brownells has the knobs for $55 and they are 5/16 fine thread.

Great price on a great gun. Here is a link to the info I posted on cutting down my stock and adding a limb saver butt pad and added lead weight.
I cut the original pad off because I wasn't sure if there were screws or not.
Add a cheek pad and a new butt pad and this thing will rock. Mine fits to the Aluminum bedding block like a glove.
Enjoy, SScott
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...060#Post1529060

OP, I am pretty green at the whole long range thing. I just replaced my SPS Tac with a 5R due to wanting a longer barrel. I set it up with a beautiful matte black Duracoat job (I don't believe in silver guns), machined the bolt handle & turned my own knob, slapped a NF 5.5-22x56 scope with badger rings/base, & an AI chassis. Most of the mods were recommendations of my shooting bud here (to remain nameless). Anyway, it's awesome. Shot it for the first time last week with my friends handloads & shot a 7rd, .400" group with 1 flyer that I yanked @ 100yds during barrel breakin. Plus, I'm not that good a shooter. I'm going to shoot it to 1k next weekend to see what it/myself can do. The 5R is good chit!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raginbullsht</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great deal on the 5R.

I would shoot the hell out of it before upgrading the stock. I just bought the same rifle in December and I am still trying to figure out what I want to do with it.

The first thing I did was have the barrel threaded and added my suppressor, so that a sweet addition.

I know the MSR stock is the style of stock I want, but time will tell if I will be able to afford it.

I also want the NF scope, but I will off till everything else is done.

</div></div>
Who did the thread on the bbl. I may be in the market for a break or a suppressor. Were you happy with the work they did?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a1fabweld</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP, I am pretty green at the whole long range thing. I just replaced my SPS Tac with a 5R due to wanting a longer barrel. I set it up with a beautiful matte black Duracoat job (I don't believe in silver guns), machined the bolt handle & turned my own knob, slapped a NF 5.5-22x56 scope with badger rings/base, & an AI chassis. Most of the mods were recommendations of my shooting bud here (to remain nameless). Anyway, it's awesome. Shot it for the first time last week with my friends handloads & shot a 7rd, .400" group with 1 flyer that I yanked @ 100yds during barrel breakin. Plus, I'm not that good a shooter. I'm going to shoot it to 1k next weekend to see what it/myself can do. The 5R is good chit! </div></div>
WELCOME to the Hide. Update your profile so we know where your from!!

I have a 308 5R and I love it. I shoot .350" all day. All I did was paint it and scope it. I shoot 168 and 175 SMK.
HPIM2017.jpg

Great Deal! OTD mine was $950, your's is a steal. I've got mine on a AICS 1.5, stock trigger set at 2.5lbs, USO SN3 glass and rings, and Harris Bi-pod.

This mount came on the rifle. No name or stamp. Does it look familiar to anyone?

5rrailtop.jpg

5rrailside.jpg

5rrail.jpg

Short Action Customs does a hell of a job on threading barrels.Mark has done 2 for me.Including my 5r! He`s located in the Wellington area.You can find him here on the site.

Im jealous, I want a 5R, had a line on one in December and I got offered a ticket to the watch the Horns in the Rose Bowl by my nephew who plays on the team. There went all my money. Now I have a new little one on the way so I have to buy my toys soon or else no new toys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOOSEKNUCKLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a1fabweld</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP, I am pretty green at the whole long range thing. I just replaced my SPS Tac with a 5R due to wanting a longer barrel. I set it up with a beautiful matte black Duracoat job (I don't believe in silver guns), machined the bolt handle & turned my own knob, slapped a NF 5.5-22x56 scope with badger rings/base, & an AI chassis. Most of the mods were recommendations of my shooting bud here (to remain nameless). Anyway, it's awesome. Shot it for the first time last week with my friends handloads & shot a 7rd, .400" group with 1 flyer that I yanked @ 100yds during barrel breakin. Plus, I'm not that good a shooter. I'm going to shoot it to 1k next weekend to see what it/myself can do. The 5R is good chit! </div></div>
WELCOME to the Hide. Update your profile so we know where your from!! </div></div>Thanks bro. Profile updated.