• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just got my new Rem 700 .308

ak0prter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
TX
I just got my Rem 700 .308 from another hide member (thanks SNAFUBAR) and took it to the range yesterday. I'll try to post pics but I am still having trouble with posting them. 4 shots from the boresight to literally nocking the "x" out of the bullseye at 100 yards. After I zeroed the scope I was able to get a 3/4"-1" 4 shot group with fed 168 gr match ammo. This is my first long range precision rifle so if I'm missing something please let me know.

Re: Just got my new Rem 700 .308

sounds like you doing good to me, just keep practicing. Oh and don't post pics of anything less than a 5 shot group here, they frown upon anything less an its actually a rule that can get you banned. I personally like seeing 3 shot groups but its not my choice, so just follow the rules for your sake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sreid87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my Rem 700 .308 from another hide member (thanks SNAFUBAR) and took it to the range yesterday. I'll try to post pics but I am still having trouble with posting them. 4 shots from the boresight to literally nocking the "x" out of the bullseye at 100 yards. After I zeroed the scope I was able to get a 3/4"-1" 4 shot group with fed 168 gr match ammo. This is my first long range precision rifle so if I'm missing something please let me know. </div></div>

Try hand loading or checking out other brands of ammo. Each rifle is different and dosent always shoot well with the textbook factory ammo.

If it still does not shoot as well as your would like, let me know and we can go over a few options to get it up to your standards.

Practice and finding a good load are going to be your best bet for right now thought.

Happy shooting!

Mark

Well I am starting to reload this coming weekend. I have a close friend that is teaching me the basics, but I was told that I need a set of 20 moa rings to shoot farther. I don't plan on getting them for at least a couple weeks, but do you have any recomendations for a pair? The rifle is a Rem 700 PSS .308, 26" barrel, HS presision stock, with a Muller tactical 8.5-25x44. My goal is to shoot the 600 yard comp in 2-3 months, and possibly the 800 yard after if I feel I did well enough. This weekend I will be practicing with the 300 and hopefully the 500 if I have enough time. But that will be factory ammo. I plan on shooting 600-800 with handloads. If I sound a little to ambitious please give me a reality check and let me know, as I said I am new to reloading but have a pretty good teacher, along with others to help as well.

Thanks,
Sean

Ambition is good to have. Just take plenty of notes, write down your hits and misses and find out why and what you are doing wrong. Always work on correcting them and you will be doing great soon enough.

Your buddy meant you need a 20 MOA base. Plenty of people make fine bases, it just depends on how much you want to spend. I'm getting a 40 MOA base for one of my 308's. It ran out of elevation in the scope and I was holing over with Mils at 1200 yards.

Good luck!

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds like you doing good to me, just keep practicing. Oh and don't post pics of anything less than a 5 shot group here, they frown upon anything less an its actually a rule that can get you banned. I personally like seeing 3 shot groups but its not my choice, so just follow the rules for your sake</div></div>

so funny, but true.

I have a couple of the Mueller Tac-II scopes and they have a LOT of elevation for a 1" tube. I used mine out to 600 yards without an elevated base until I replaced it with a Nightforce scope & Badger 20 MOA base.

I have these scopes on my rimfire rifles now but it will do you good when you are just starting out and learning your rifle and handloads. It has good Jap glass for the money but does not adjust for AO and I would have gone with the SuperSniper had I known about that one at the time but it's a decent scope and will be good until you get the basics down.

Well the rifle scope and bipod came as one, I will upgrade the glass asap, but I wanted to practice with handloads before I really need to spend that kind of money. But don't get me wrong, for what the scope is it's a great starter, but I agree with getting a new scope as soon as I figure out exactly how to feed and use the rifle.

I live NW of Houston near Tomball

and what kind of money will it take for an upper mid grade or lower top grade 20 MOA base for the scope? And as far as the next scope, what would be the best to shoot up to and possibly a little beyond 800 yards? I don't plan on shooting 1000 for a while buy I want to just buy the scope once.

Also thanks for saving me from posting the under 5 shot group. I spend to much time on here to be kicked off now.

Actually, you can buy a set of 20 MOA rings.

Burris Zee rings are available with different off sets, I believe in 10, 15 and 20 moa inserts.

The Mueller is a fine beginner scope although the magnification is high for a tactical scope, as a target scope it should work pretty well. I have one, it suddenly went south on me, i sent it back to Mueller with a 12 dollar check and an explanation, they sent me a new one.
The TAC2 is a much better scope, but max's out at 10X, which is fine for tactical shooting.
The Tac2 has 95MOA of travel, more than enough to get you to 800 yards with a standard base, the 8.5-25 has significantly less.
If you are on a budget but would like decent glass, look at the Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 mil-dot and an EGW angled base or the burris zee rings.

I like the target scopes, but I have been looking at the nikon scopes for a while, but I am willing to spend serious money on a proper long range scope. I just can't do it for a month or two. I will look at getting the new rings asap to start working with them. Thanks for the heads up.

I think your scope is as important or more than the gun. You can't hit what you can't see. Consider spending more upfront on your scope. You can always upgrade your rifle later and just keep using your scope.

Lots of great scopes out there. But Nightforce also makes a direct mount for 30mm tube diameter scopes that will fit on Remington 700s. It gives you a 20 MOA taper and rings in one unit. Saves weight and gives you better alignment.

Ok cool, I have just started looking at the nightforce scopes, but I like what I see. I didn't know that you could get a set up with the 20 MOA rings built into it like that though. I will check into that, but I don't plan on doing anything with the rifle untill after I get a new scope, other then work up handloads for the rifle. Thanks for the advise, I am a believer of you can't hit what you can't see.

I have a NXS 5.5-22x56 with an NP-R1 reticle, and really like it. It is more than enough magnification and image clarity to take you to distance limits of 308 win. I can easily see my target bullet holes clearly at 100 yards. At 200 yards it is pretty difficult for me to see bullet holes, unless you use a Shoot-N-See target. Gets pretty heavy shooting off-hand with 10 pound rifle, but I mostly shoot with rifle on bipod or rest, sitted, or prone.

The NXS 3.5-15x50 is probably enough and is more compact, but only a few ounces lighter. 56mm objectives are really not necessary unless you do low-light shooting.

Lots of reticle choices, which comes down to personal preference. Only thing is to choose reticle that matches turret clicks, e.g. MOA & MOA, mil & mil….just makes adjustments easier.

Good luck and happy shooting.