• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Just learned about these "Oil Can Adapters" WTF??

slakline

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2005
NE
Another "why didn't I think of that?" gadget. Maybe not the most ergonomic way to suppress but maybe something to have in your kit Still gotta pay the tax stamp so not exactly a an "Econo can" I wonder if there is an oil filter that is a bit slimmer that would look and be a bit more sight friendly?

American Specialty Ammo's Econo Can

Re: Just learned about these "Oil Can Adapters" WTF??

I applaud the ingenuity, but past that........full retard.

Wow-- that is interesting. If it wasn't for the $200 tax stamp, I would buy one just as a conversation piece. Also-- that would give you an easy way to recycle all of your used oil filters!

I'm just trying to imagine what the materials packed in the box..sorry, wrapped in the old newspaper...sorry...wrapped in the old Denny's place mats would look like. My guess?

YESEREE.jpg

that is some funny shit........

funny stuff up above....still like the concept though.

I hear that eotech is releasing a magnetic mount to be used on top of the oil filters! It is supposed to come out this summer! lol.

I just ordered one of these to play with it. I won't be actually doing a transfer to me on it, so no issue with the $200 tax. Once I get to play with it I will report back. At $55 what the fuck.

next some asshole will market a threaded potato with a hole drilled in it...and then liter Pepsi bottles..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamawrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered one of these to play with it. I won't be actually doing a transfer to me on it, so no issue with the $200 tax. Once I get to play with it I will report back. At $55 what the... </div></div>

I am curious. Let us know what you think when u get it.

And to think I wasted my cash on a tyrant .45 and 30p-1....the horror.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brux Barrels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does an 0702 ffl have to put the new oil can on everytime? </div></div>

The oil can is considered a "wipe" and not a silencer, so no issues there.

It's not made out of inconel and unobtanium and coated in FDE cerakote so we should laugh at it! It kind of makes me think about the attitudes the military had towards the NVA and VC in the begining of vietnam, or maybe the german panzers in WW2 that were built to last years but whose combat life expectancy was maybe a couple months lol. I'll take 20 T-34's over a tiger any day.

Funny stuff here...

As for the adaptor itself, I'd rather just spend the money on the real thing and know that I wouldn't have firearm/legal/health issues.

When i was doing research on what filter to use on my Tundra i found out that most vehicles oil filters have a metal disk and spring in the end. So with that said...guessing there are only certain filters the guy recommends for his "adapter"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: outlawsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When i was doing research on what filter to use on my Tundra i found out that most vehicles oil filters have a metal disk and spring in the end. So with that said...guessing there are only certain filters the guy recommends for his "adapter" </div></div>

If I"m not mistaken, your Tundra takes a cartridge filter...I have one too.

You are very right it does. But when i was looking into the filter for the tundra, i looked at all manner of construction. Including for my Wrangler.

How come I can't stop watching this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris in Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How come I can't stop watching this </div></div>
because you are fighting back the urge to go to Autozone , buy a filter , thread your barrel and see if it actually works !! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: outlawsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When i was doing research on what filter to use on my Tundra i found out that most vehicles oil filters have a metal disk and spring in the end. So with that said...guessing there are only certain filters the guy recommends for his "adapter" </div></div>

Hmmmmmm........ There's your built in Neilson device !!!!

Now we just need to add sound to the Hide....I am seriously hearing them banjos in the back of my head! I guess no chance of one shot one kill with this thing....can anyone say jacket separation? hOW THE F%*$ has someone not died or been maimed by this yet? Oh wait, who will spend the $200 tax stamp?! I just have to assume the examiners are just waiting to get these forms in as a weed out for watch lists or just future organ donors! Hahaha....ok yes, I think a feel the draw to Autozone!

When 22 cans became banned here a guy had an adapter made up to screw a plastic coke bottle onto a 1/2" 20tpi thread for 22's it was amazing how many thread adapters he sold at $15 each hundreds of them as long as you were not walking around with an empty coke bottle and the rifle with the thread adapter you were OK no laws were broken but if you attached it to your rifle and then attached the bottle then you could be charged or if the police found a bottle with a hole in the end and full of powder residue there were issues but they worked almost aswell as that massive POS i dont know why any one would buy one you cant see the sights and it would be realy heavy.

But you have to give it to the guy i bet he will sell a heap of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When 22 cans became banned here a guy had an adapter made up to screw a plastic coke bottle onto a 1/2" 20tpi thread for 22's it was amazing how many thread adapters he sold at $15 each hundreds of them as long as you were not walking around with an empty coke bottle and the rifle with the thread adapter you were OK no laws were broken but if you attached it to your rifle and then attached the bottle then you could be charged or if the police found a bottle with a hole in the end and full of powder residue there were issues but they worked almost aswell as that massive POS i dont know why any one would buy one you cant see the sights and it would be realy heavy.

But you have to give it to the guy i bet he will sell a heap of them.

</div></div>

just drill a larger hole thru a tapered rubber beaker plug for your barrel, slide on said coke bottle and VIOLA !! Redneck Suppressor !!

EDITED to add > shouldn't give you guys all my Accuracy secrets , but the Rubber Plug when left on , also doubles as a Barrel Harmonics Stabilizer
grin.gif

So, what if your oil can threads match those on your barrel? Is the oil can still a wipe?

Don't give me so much credit... I'm just trying to find loopholes
laugh.gif

Shouldn't knock it. You wouldn't if you have played with the expensive filters that mimic the size of a large 30 cal can. Pretty impressive honestly.

Agreed that it is redneck inspired, but what if the guys added rails, camo painted it, etched the word tactical, and charged an arm and a leg.... would it be cool enough for everyone then? just sayin! Kudos to those goofy rednecks and thier probably dangerous idea.
-NN

This is cracking me up... No way in HELL I'm slinging one on my muzzle, but its a fun (and yes, likely uber-dangerous) idea.

My question after watching the video is two part. Does a new pistol with this adapter use the Fram "Tough Guard" and how many rounds do I need to shoot through my pistol before switching to the Fram "High Mileage" suppressor?

That's just, uh, wow. I can't believe anyone would pay for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddd oo7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow-- that is interesting. If it wasn't for the $200 tax stamp, I would buy one just as a conversation piece. Also-- that would give you an easy way to recycle all of your used oil filters! </div></div>

Shooting hot exhaust gas and maybe a little unburned powder into a container full of paper filter fibers soaked in used motor oil - what could go wrong?

Yeah. I guess tone doesn't translate very well in type. My tone was very sarcastic. This is not something I ever intend to try.

I think we're on the same page.

The idea's amusing in large part due to it's apparent effectiveness, and combination of technical simplicity and legal complexity. It does make one wonder - an AR has 1/2 x 28 threads generally, and 5/8 x 24 seems to be common for larger calibers. Oil filters seem to be common in 13/16 x 16. Makes one wonder if a part such as:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-pipe-to-pipe-adapters/=hlc6ds

in the right thread pitches would be considered a suppressor. I wonder what the BATF would say if one tried to pay a tax stamp on such an adapter...

And if you threaded a barrel so that you could directly attach an oil filter to the barrel and made a flash hider that threaded onto that, then what?

Its all fun and games and everyone has their opinions on the genius, or lack thereof involved. But this is a slippery slope they are creating. Some of you in the last posts are getting it. This item is nothing more than a thread adapter. How is it any different from an AAC 18T other than thread pitch and dia? How long before the ATF uses this to restrict even more stuff?

We are our own worst enemies.

I would have to agree that the view then could be that any thread adapter that would fit your threaded barrel would be a potential suppressor... Wow.. The biggest problem we have with NFA items is the letter of the law is the letter of the law unless the ATF changes their mind at any time for any reason with a "finding"... Just asking for legal issues at some point...l but would be cool to have around for a SHTF or Anarchy type situation..... Hmmm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RadioactiveYeti</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have to agree that the view then could be that any thread adapter that would fit your threaded barrel would be a potential suppressor... Wow.. The biggest problem we have with NFA items is the letter of the law is the letter of the law unless the ATF changes their mind at any time for any reason with a "finding"... Just asking for legal issues at some point...l but would be cool to have around for a SHTF or Anarchy type situation..... Hmmm</div></div>
My thought exactly. You can have such an item in your pocket or anywhere and all you need is a common oil filter to quite things down. I see it as a throw away dam break type item.

We should have our test unit any time now. I will be reporting back.