• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just ordered a Vudoo V-22, what ammo?

Money Waster

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
After reading threads on the Vudoo V-22 over the last month, I just had to get a barreled action. It was black tar heroin to me lol. I just couldn't stop myself. Today was the day that I finally broke down and took the plunge. The order is in. I got a Bartlein MTU contour finished at 20"; melonited action and no finish on the barrel.

Anyway, I have 3 weeks to wait for delivery, and I need to order some ammo for it. I don't think that I need the absolute best ammo out there, as I intend to shoot it mostly at 100 yards and in to practice barricades. I'll occasionally take it out to 200 prone. Can anyone recommend a mid to mid-upper grade of ammo for this purpose?

I'm going to break down my .223 and steal the trigger, scope and chassis to build the thing. Components include a Jewel trigger, USO LR-17 and an XLR Carbon chassis. It should be a really sweet rig once put together.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

I think you are going to get multiple suggestions because every rifle will like a certain ammo from the next so your gonna have to test and see. That being said I've had good luck with sk rifle match

Reactions: garandman
SK match and rifle are good starting places. If your close enough to the Lapua or Eley test ranges they can lot test your rifle to see what it likes the best.

Reactions: usafa77
Center X, it was the first ammo I tried and it has shot so well I haven't bothered trying anything else yet. I've shot 6 different lots of it so far and all have shot extremely accurate.

Reactions: Macca and Alabusa
This is the best place I've found, both price and customer service.

Center x is where it's at! SK red was ok but not nearly as good as Center X out of mine.

This is the best place I've found, both price and customer service.

Thanks for the link!

Reactions: WadeKow
Here is a 10 shot group with one of my Vudoos with Eley Tenex ultimate EPS, and three 5 shot groups with Lapua Center X fired today, at 50 yards, outdoors.
This was with my “old” Vudoo that has over 20,000 rounds through it now.

Attachments

• 756922DC-6A36-4164-8E80-6835B3805E6E.jpeg
    756922DC-6A36-4164-8E80-6835B3805E6E.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 0870B550-74D9-4893-9986-2874965354B6.jpeg
    0870B550-74D9-4893-9986-2874965354B6.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 123
What lot numbers do you suggest, or should I get several lot numbers and choose from there?

I have shot center x , SK standard +, rifle match, and pistol match. Center x I'd best out of those but all of the sk shoots well.

Don't worry about lot testing until you get a couple bricks through it. Definitely get some center x and sk standard+.

welcome to the club.

tried a bunch of stuff and settled on center x for now

if you arent impatient like the rest of us send it to lapua or eley for testing and buy what they suggest
that is now the base line for every other ammo you buy

biggest thing i found was trying ammo at the distance you will be shooting at

just because its good at 50 doesnt mean its good at 100 and good at 100 doesnt mean good at 200 etc

ive had wolf match extra shoot knots at 50 and string like crazy at 100 (check back to around feb/march on the vudoo thread)

Center X, it was the first ammo I tried and it has shot so well I haven't bothered trying anything else yet. I've shot 6 different lots of it so far and all have shot extremely accurate.

If you would be so kind, please quantify "extremely acurate." Not jerking your chain, I'm just super frustrated with 22rf "precision" rifles.

welcome to the club.

tried a bunch of stuff and settled on center x for now

if you arent impatient like the rest of us send it to lapua or eley for testing and buy what they suggest
that is now the base line for every other ammo you buy

biggest thing i found was trying ammo at the distance you will be shooting at

just because its good at 50 doesnt mean its good at 100 and good at 100 doesnt mean good at 200 etc

ive had wolf match extra shoot knots at 50 and string like crazy at 100 (check back to around feb/march on the vudoo thread)

I want to take it out to 200, so that is my targeted accuracy. If it's grouping at 200, then surely it is grouping at shorter ranges, correct? I don't see how it couldn't. SD is a primary determinant at distance. At least that is what I understand from shooting centerfire cartridges at long range.

Check back a few pages for better info

very good shooting 22lr

1/2” at 50
1” at 100
3x6 index card at 200

Reactions: BigRed308
If you would be so kind, please quantify "extremely acurate." Not jerking your chain, I'm just super frustrated with 22rf "precision" rifles.
Half moa or less at 50 and .75 or better at 100 yards. I haven't shot it any futher than 100 yet. I should also mention that I have a tuner on it.

Last edited:
I take it that the 6" is for vertical due to MV variance?

yes starting at 100 but 100+ MV is a huge issue

long story short i had wolf that would shoot 1/2 moa at 100 for 5-6 shots out of 10
the other 4-5 were up or down 1-2"
if i was able to magically select the "good" ones it would out shoot my center fire rifles

yes starting at 100 but 100+ MV is a huge issue

long story short i had wolf that would shoot 1/2 moa at 100 for 5-6 shots out of 10
the other 4-5 were up or down 1-2"
if i was able to magically select the "good" ones it would out shoot my center fire rifles

For me this is all about accuracy at the distances that I want to shoot. I have a .308 that is an absolute hammer and really accurate. I can shoot 10 shots into a 5/8" group at 100 every trip to the range, and a 2 MOA target out to 800 is a piece of cake provided that the wind cooperates. I know that's not awesome to some, but to me it is really good. I'm still a novice. I like to shoot that rifle, but time constraints don't allow me to shoot it as much as I'd like due to reloading needs. I'm hoping that the V-22 gets me the trigger time that I desire for quality range time. I think that positional out to 100 and prone to 200 would be good practice. I'd also like to take out a ground squirrel or two at 200 as well. :)

If you wade through the gazillion Vudoo-related posts here, you may come across references to its chamber being dimensioned around Center-X so, day in and day out, lot to lot, that's most likely to be your sweet spot. if you want the absolute ultimate accuracy, find the posts describing how to get your rifle lot-tested at Lapua. I think Eley has a mechanism for doing this as well.

For me personally, I don't care about that last tiny fraction of an inch in group size enough to go through this expense. My V22 is "good enough" - 1/4-3/8" @50, .75-1.0" @100 - with any lot of Center-X I've tried. Less-expensive labels such as SK Rifle Match do almost as well for significantly less money - there will just be more fliers.

I've quit shooting at 50 yards except to zero the rifle. I primarily practice positional shooting with 1-2" round plates on a swinger at 100 yards and 4" IPSC targets at 150 yards.

For 100-yard practice, I find CCI SV ammo at $25 a brick to be quite acceptable - just accept that every-time accuracy on the 1" plate might be a bit iffy, and it's almost certain that the bullet jamming into the lands is going to cause a stiff bolt close which affects the smoothness of timed practice. This is a known thing for the Vudoo chamber and it's harmless.

At 150 yards or more, SK Rifle Match or SK Long Range Match are my go-to practice rounds, and Center-X is my competition brand. Actually, out to 100 yards on 1.5-2.0 MOA steel, Center-X is almost overkill - the SK labels are usually good enough.

I've only tried a little bit of Midas+ and just didn't see enough superiority, even past 100 yards, to spend 30 cents a round for it (as compared to about 20 cents a round for Center-X or 15-16 cents for SK RM or LRM).

Anyway, I have 3 weeks to wait for delivery, and I need to order some ammo for it. I don't think that I need the absolute best ammo out there, as I intend to shoot it mostly at 100 yards and in to practice barricades. I'll occasionally take it out to 200 prone. Can anyone recommend a mid to mid-upper grade of ammo for this purpose?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

That's not bad at all !!!!!! I got 3 months of torture on my Bighorn Origin in 224 Valkyrie.

Anyway... if yer gonna try a buncha ammo, I'd suggest including Lapua Midas +. While it was in a CZ 455 and CZ 457, I found Midas + gave the best accuracy in both, for me. (and I tried E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.)

Edit to add: this was for match competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Money Waster
I've seen a lot of people post about practice ammo and match ammo and was curious if you guys see a change in zero? Does the zero change between different lots?

If you wade through the gazillion Vudoo-related posts here, you may come across references to its chamber being dimensioned around Center-X so, day in and day out, lot to lot, that's most likely to be your sweet spot. if you want the absolute ultimate accuracy, find the posts describing how to get your rifle lot-tested at Lapua. I think Eley has a mechanism for doing this as well.

For me personally, I don't care about that last tiny fraction of an inch in group size enough to go through this expense. My V22 is "good enough" - 1/4-3/8" @50, .75-1.0" @100 - with any lot of Center-X I've tried. Less-expensive labels such as SK Rifle Match do almost as well for significantly less money - there will just be more fliers.

I've quit shooting at 50 yards except to zero the rifle. I primarily practice positional shooting with 1-2" round plates on a swinger at 100 yards and 4" IPSC targets at 150 yards.

For 100-yard practice, I find CCI SV ammo at $25 a brick to be quite acceptable - just accept that every-time accuracy on the 1" plate might be a bit iffy, and it's almost certain that the bullet jamming into the lands is going to cause a stiff bolt close which affects the smoothness of timed practice. This is a known thing for the Vudoo chamber and it's harmless.

At 150 yards or more, SK Rifle Match or SK Long Range Match are my go-to practice rounds, and Center-X is my competition brand. Actually, out to 100 yards on 1.5-2.0 MOA steel, Center-X is almost overkill - the SK labels are usually good enough.

I've only tried a little bit of Midas+ and just didn't see enough superiority, even past 100 yards, to spend 30 cents a round for it (as compared to about 20 cents a round for Center-X or 15-16 cents for SK RM or LRM).

This was an extremely helpful post. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you.

I've seen a lot of people post about practice ammo and match ammo and was curious if you guys see a change in zero? Does the zero change between different lots?

As long as the fps is the same between lots, it shouldn't affect poi.

Reactions: emann1022
What lot numbers do you suggest, or should I get several lot numbers and choose from there?
Definitely want to try several to see what ur gun likes. Out of mine there was a winner among the 4 lots I tried, but not a winner by much. All the lots shot pretty good. The slower lots shot the best in mine

Looking at the www.goodshootinginc.com web site, there is only one lot of Lapua Center X ammo available. Should I assume that this is a bad lot?

Money
There's no such thing as a "bad lot" - especially in higher-end brands/labels like Center-X - there is only the question of which lot of any brand performs best in your rifle. As I said in my earlier post, I find it to be a waste of time and money to chase the "perfect" lot. For others, finding the "perfect lot" is hugely important. I shoot tactical matches, not bench rest, so I am not wasting my time chasing 1/8" or less of group improvement. I get 1/4 - 3/8" groups at 50 yards with every kind of up-label ammo I try. Am I going to spend a lot of time and money going for 1/8 - 1/4" groups? Uh, no.

Reactions: Darqusoull13
There's no such thing as a "bad lot" - especially in higher-end brands/labels like Center-X - there is only the question of which lot of any brand performs best in your rifle. As I said in my earlier post, I find it to be a waste of time and money to chase the "perfect" lot. For others, finding the "perfect lot" is hugely important. I shoot tactical matches, not bench rest, so I am not wasting my time chasing 1/8" or less of group improvement. I get 1/4 - 3/8" groups at 50 yards with every kind of up-label ammo I try. Am I going to spend a lot of time and money going for 1/8 - 1/4" groups? Uh, no.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I think that we have the same accuracy objectives and intended style of shooting. I'll just go with what is available and know that poor performance is shooter related. ;)

27553 705613
Which is the lot # ? The 27xxx or 70xxx
I'm only going by what I've been told. The first 2 numbers of the first set of numbers gives you the speed of the ammo by putting a 3 in front of it so the speed would be 327 meters per second. If I was a betting man I'd say the next 3(553) would be the machine it was built on and the second set of numbers is the lot#

Last edited:
Reactions: bjay
The whole box of RWS target rifle.
Vudoo v22.

Target was shot under very good conditions at night over a 12 hour or so span. 5 shots every hour or so.
Sometimes a little more than an hour.

Other ammo that will do the same or better, CenterX, Eley Match,.........SK standard plus is also very good from my gun.
I bought several cases of RWS because I was getting it CHEAP. $2.80 per box of 50 rounds.

Eley Match would be my overall choice. It does extremely well from my v22. but at 1400.00 per case,,,,,,,,RWS was close enough to justify several cases at 280.00 per case. Eley Match reserved for hunting and pesting.

After spending many hours at the range and many types of ammo with my Vudoo everything shoots at or close to one holders at 50yrds.
At 100yrds center x edges everything out if your looking for smallest group that being said CCI standard shoots very well out to 300 (% of impacts) also when shooting off barricades out to 200 CCI STD work very well and at 239.00 for 5000 rds you cannot go wrong.
1/2 group vs 1 inch group is not much difference in % of impacts(wind,human,ammo etc)
Just depends if you a paper puncher or a steel hitter.

After spending many hours at the range and many types of ammo with my Vudoo everything shoots at or close to one holders at 50yrds.
At 100yrds center x edges everything out if your looking for smallest group that being said CCI standard shoots very well out to 300 (% of impacts) also when shooting off barricades out to 200 CCI STD work very well and at 239.00 for 5000 rds you cannot go wrong.
1/2 group vs 1 inch group is not much difference in % of impacts(wind,human,ammo etc)
Just depends if you a paper puncher or a steel hitter.

This is great information. Thank you!

After shooting multiple brands of ammo at the range today through my new rifle, Center X was probably the best. on the other hand just about anything I fed through it was not bad. I even shot Fed. Auto match bulk and it shot really well made impacts on an ipsc plate at 500 yards. at distance wind is more of a factor than the ammo. I will probably shoot a lot of auto match for just general plinking and practice from barricades.

Crazy how Vudoo just spits out everything accurately compared to most rifles.
Funny thing Vudoo shoots better groups than most people’s center fire rifles at 100 yards.

Reactions: 10ring1
SK Long Range match ammo out did lapua center x the group size is the same but the SK Long Range match moves 50 FPS faster which means less dialing and longer range plus cheaper .

Attachments

• D06E50AF-C253-4BF6-80F1-1AF4FA29FAD3.jpeg
    D06E50AF-C253-4BF6-80F1-1AF4FA29FAD3.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 86
Vudoo v22.

Target was shot under very good conditions at night over a 12 hour or so span. 5 shots every hour or so.

Other ammo that will do the same or better, CenterX, Eley Match,.........SK standard plus is also very good from my gun.
I bought several cases of RWS because I was getting it CHEAP. $2.80 per box of 50 rounds.

Eley Match would be my overall choice. It does extremely well from my v22. but at 1400.00 per case,,,,,,,,RWS was close enough to justify several cases at 280.00 per case. Eley Match reserved for hunting and pesting.
View attachment 7105704
View attachment 7105706

Where did you get the RWS Target ammo? Also, how do you like the IOR? I've seen good reviews of their top end scopes, but The Hide seems to hate IOR for some reason. I had one of their mid tier models. I forget which one exactly, but it was a $1,800 scope. I didn't love it. The parallax adjustment was super finicky and I could never seem to get it to focus as clearly as my USO LR-17 scopes. I ended up selling it.

Vudoo v22.

View attachment 7105704
View attachment 7105706

50 rounds shot over 12 hours going into 1 hole!!! I call this BS and doesn’t matter what rifle was used. You spread this widely on RFC, now you’re doing this here. BS is BS. Doesn’t matter which site you put it on.

Whoever believes this target was shot the way you describe it is naive.

50 rounds shot over 12 hours going into 1 hole!!! I call this BS and doesn’t matter what rifle was used. You spread this widely on RFC, now you’re doing this here. BS is BS. Doesn’t matter which site you put it on.

You are an idiot on Rimfire Feminist Central, and you are an idiot here. Migrating between sites does not make you any less of an idiot.
You call BS because you can't do what I did. Not because it didn't happen.
In fact, as I recall, you trashed the Vudoo brand because you wanted an Anschutz. Nothing wrong with Anschutz, I've owned a small truckload of them myself. But this I can tell you, the Vudoo v22 makes that Anschutz you bought look like a childs toy.

As to the other members posting to this topic, please allow me to apologize on behalf of one of Rimfire Feminist Centrals finest, up there.
Please do not blame me for being stalked by a ......Troglodyte.

T.S.

Where did you get the RWS Target ammo? Also, how do you like the IOR? I've seen good reviews of their top end scopes, but The Hide seems to hate IOR for some reason. I had one of their mid tier models. I forget which one exactly, but it was a $1,800 scope. I didn't love it. The parallax adjustment was super finicky and I could never seem to get it to focus as clearly as my USO LR-17 scopes. I ended up selling it.

Bought the RWS target rifle ammo over there on Champions.........they had a huge sale on it.
As to the IOR Recon.......I like it a lot. It is very nice. Love the reticle and image rendition.
I have no problems bringing images in to tack sharpness. Additionally, when parallax is adjusted to crisp sharpness, it shows no error. Unlike some other scopes that are tack sharp,,,,,,but still have error and have to be adjusted out of sharpness to eliminate error.

T.S.

Standard plus shoots well in my .22 which is great because I refuse to feed it centerX or Eley. Am I the only one that thinks .22 ammo that’s .26 cents a round is idiotic?!? Go shoot .223 If you’re spending that much! It will make you a better shooter in the long run practicing on a centerfire anyway.

Reactions: reubenski
Standard plus shoots well in my .22 which is great because I refuse to feed it centerX or Eley. Am I the only one that thinks .22 ammo that’s .26 cents a round is idiotic?!? Go shoot .223 If you’re spending that much! It will make you a better shooter in the long run practicing on a centerfire anyway.

If your goal is training for cheap on a 22lr and replicate your center rifle. Yes, you're right. Shooting the cheaper ammo (SK+) is the way to go.
If your goal is to shoot your 22lr to it's maximum accuracy potential, then it will cost you.

One last thing. It's good to try a few expensive ammo to get an idea of the accuracy baseline of your gun. You can then shoot that expensive ammo only in matches.

What’s hard to believe about it? Here is something like 72rnds out of an 18” vudoo. Pretty rapid fire and at 50yds.

Paper dimes were 1:1 scale.

What’s hard to believe about it? Here is something like 72rnds out of an 18” vudoo. Pretty rapid fire and at 50yds.

Paper dimes were 1:1 scale.

View attachment 7119426
You do realize that your target is nowhere near as good as his... At the same time your target is real, and his target is fake. BTW I'm not bashing Vudoo. I don't own one, but from what I've read here all owners are happy and the CS is very good.

Lastly, a little Sniperhide inside joke: Everyone here knows that IOR can't hold zero over 12h and 50 shots :)