• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just picked up my new BigHorn action rifle *PICS*

GRIM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Wisconsin
Bighorn Arms action, 28" Chanlynn barrel (.308), 10 twist chambered for SMK 175's (and even SMK 190's), 20 MOA base, A5 stock with adjustable cheek piece, feeds from AI mags. Put a NF 5.5-22 scope and NF rings on it. I'm in love!

Pics to follow later as I can't figure how to get them from my cell phone to here.

Taking it to the range tomorrow morning to wring it out.

Re: Just picked up my new BigHorn action rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need pics and range report now.. </div></div>
Yeah, no pics means it didn't happen lol

You can always forward the pics to photobucket and copy and paste them to here..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need pics and range report now.. </div></div>
Yeah, no pics means it didn't happen lol </div></div>

Nobody likes a hypocrite S110
wink.gif

That said...it should be illegal to post about a new toy without pictures.

Josh

Dammit Jim - I'm only a doctor!

Ok - so my normal means of being able to post pics is download my camera pics to my desktop. Desktop is down. Wife is out of town with the other digital camera and her laptop (that was my other option for getting pics onto the web) so I'm sitting here stroking my new rifle and can't share it with the other shooters out there!

Well - shot it today. Of course it shoots FedGMM168 nicely - better than 1/2 MOA. My goal is to get this to shoot .2's or .3's from the bench - that way I'll know in the field it will be capable of shooting better than me and I'll be the weak link. I just loaded up some SMK175 handloads for tomorrows outing at the range. Using XBR8208 powder & I hope to stumble upon a good load for it. If I can't get it to like the SMK175's then I switch to the Hornady Amax 178's and try it again.

I'll try and figure out how to upload my cell phone pics somehow... sorry to pimp you all with words and no pics. Just close your eyes and imagine the most beautiful thing in the world - there, now you have almost got it...

Shot the rifle the last couple of days.

I do the barrel break-in procedure more from the standpoint of how well it cleans later on. 1 shot & clean for 4 rounds, 2 shots & clean, 2 shots & clean is all it took. Pretty much NO copper fouling now when I clean it, and that is with Sweet's cleaner.

Today I shot sub .3 groups with 3 different loads. Full case prep on Winchester cases, OAL 2.805" on all. I also use a Bersin tool on each round to check concentricity. Don't know if it helps but by the looks of the results it sure isn't hurting things.

175 SMK's (43.5 grains XBR8208 powder) .200"
SD 6.1 ES 14.5 2787 fps

178 AMAX's (42.5 grains XBR8208 powder) .151"
SD 4.5 ES 11.8 2698 fps

190 SMK's (42.0 grains IMR 4895 powder) .280"
SD 8.5 ES 15.2 2640 fps

Granted these are not 10 shot groups - that will come later after I settle on a load.

Loaded up some more ammo tonight and bracketed the best charges from today. Hopefully they'll all shoot well.

So far 65 rounds down the barrel and it just keeps shooting better.

Damn fine rifle, glad I bought it.

175 SMK
Chanlynntarget3.jpg

190 SMK
Chanlynntarget2.jpg

178 AMAX
Chanlynntarget1.jpg

I have seen the rifle and it is real! It's a beautiful rifle. Mark Channlyn does incredibly rifles. His barrels are amazing.

Well - today wasn't what I expected. My SD & ES's were all over the place as compared to yesterday. It would shoot the occasional 3-4 on top/touching each other then toss one off into never neverland. Groups were mostly .7's but had a couple in the .5's and one in the .3's but that's obviously not what I'm looking for.
Trigger breaks felt good with only one called flinch today so it didn't seem to be me. Not sure if I was putting different pressure on the stock but I didn't think so.
Only thing that was different was I used a new bag of Winchester brass with a full prep like the last batch and this time I even separated them into 3 groups based on case weight. Heck, when I do less case prep it seems to group better. I'm going to tumble my once fired brass tonight and see if I can load up some more for tomorrow with once fired and see if that helps any...

The 190 SMK's did well again today. Maybe that will be what I settle on using in it...

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know. Like I said before - I can't get my pics onto my computer due to the desktop crashed. I'm gonna try and find the XP software and reload it. It it stuck in restart mode.

I am considering a big horn action as well. Would enjoy those pics!
smile.gif

I'm about to lose it if I don't see some pics!

Ha! That worked. Thanks. Pics are ultra grainy and I'll update them next week when I get ahold of my wife's laptop and can upload quality closeups. But for now here it is.
What I like about the receiver:
- Thicker rear tang
- Longer threaded barrel area to support long, heavy barrels
- Savage type bolt head for better chamber case alignment
- Minimized size of openings on action for ejection & magazine feed
- Utilizes AI mags (narrow port in action for strength & single feed for reliability)
- left side bolt release/stop
- bolt head made of different material and treated so lugs don't gall
- Pillars fit to receiver
- Jewel HVR trigger
- Heavy duty trigger guard that feeds AI mags

I put the cheesy foam pad on the cheek piece - you can't get that kind of quality work just anywhere you know.

Chanlynn2.jpg

Chanlynn1.jpg

Chanlynn3.jpg

That is Ultra BADASS!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha! Pics are ultra grainy
Chanlynn2.jpg

Chanlynn1.jpg

Chanlynn3.jpg

</div></div>

Yes he did. I'm extremely pleased with his work. Pick his brain & experience and tell him what your application is going to be for the rifle and he'll make the barrel length, chamber & twist to work best.

I had him set this up for SMK 175's with as long a barrel as I could stand and requested it be 10 twist.

Better pics of the BigHorn action & rifle.
DSC06307.jpg

DSC06308.jpg

DSC06315.jpg

DSC06309.jpg

DSC06310.jpg

So I head to the range again to run some more rounds though it in search of the one handload for it.

I've been trying the XBR8208 powder, haven't seen this powder impress me. Occasionally it will shoot a good group but then it doesn't do the same the next time at the range. So, I'm slightly frustrated at the end of the session and I pull out a box of handloads of 42.0 grains of IMR4895 behind a SMK 190 bullet and ..... "BAGOOOSH! How ya doin?! I'm goood, ow YOU doin!" The rifle shoots this load great... again. So I've settled on this load for this rig.
DSC06385.jpg

Nice Stick!
What bottom metal is on that?

Those actions look kick ass, I like the floating bolt!

I may have to drive to Brighton and get one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MIKEONE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
Give Mark a call and drive up and meet him. He knows his stuff. I'm ultra happy with with it!

Jewel trigger. Mark tuned it nice and crisp.

No hang-ups with the floating bolt-head when driving it hard?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MIKEONE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
Give Mark a call and drive up and meet him. He knows his stuff. I'm ultra happy with with it!

Jewel trigger. Mark tuned it nice and crisp.</div></div>

Yes I think I will.

Nice rifle again man!

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Priest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No hang-ups with the floating bolt-head when driving it hard? </div></div>

None at all. I've loaded some hot rounds that have shown cratering on the primer so I backed off the load. No problems with it during any of the load development.

I settled on a SMK190 bullet in front of 42.0 grains of IMR4895 easily shot sub half all of the times I've shot that load.

[img:center][/img]

I went with a Bighorn Action and I love it. I screwed a Barlein barrel on and chambered it in 260 rem. AJ, (from Bighorn) is a killer machinist. I have run my rifle hard and have seen no trouble with the floating bolt head. I don't have a pic of the bolt head, but www.bighornarms.com has one. Oh yeah, the KMW stock is the best!

[img:center][/img]

The full view!

I should never look at these as it gives me ideas for something new I just have to have now

Nice! I like that bolt and the camo paint!

I've gotten pretty jaded from all the nice rifles I've seen on this site in the past several years.

But this one is pretty awe inspiring.