• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just placed my order for a CMP M1 Garand (PICS!)

ChazHollywood

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Dropped the paperwork in the mail today. Went with an HRA service grade plus a can of M2 ball.

This will be my first Garand so I can't wait to see what I get. We shall see...

Re: Just placed my order for a CMP M1 Garand

Congratulations! I think you'll be pleased with your purchase and with getting into shooting Garands.

You will be pleased with that purchase!

The Garand is quite possibly the most fun iron sighted gun you will ever shoot. I fell in love with the first one I shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Garand is quite possibly the most fun iron sighted gun you will ever shoot. I fell in love with the first one I shot. </div></div>

I'm counting on it! I've always loved the appearance and the legacy. Never fired or even handled one though, can't wait.
grin.gif

The Garand is a good one, You will not be disappointed. The sound of the clip popping out is a unmistakeable sound.

I have a SG HRA and a RG SA. You made a good choice, mine will do 1.5 moa out to 500 yards with my tired old eyes. Love these rifles.

I have a few semi-auto rifles, and my M1 is one of the few that still puts a shit-eating grin on my face when I shoot it. Enjoy!

I bought (2) of the same make, and grade.
It's like opening a Christmas present, only better because you already know it's a gun.
One came in an older stock, and one in a new Boyds stock.
They both run flawlessly.
The older one shoots about 1-2 moa wind, 12 moa elev (no shit).
The one in the new stock shoots around 2 moa.

For what they cost it would be hard to lose money on the deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought (2) of the same make, and grade.
It's like opening a Christmas present, only better because you already know it's a gun.
One came in an older stock, and one in a new Boyds stock.
They both run flawlessly.
The older one shoots about 1-2 moa wind, 12 moa elev (no shit).
The one in the new stock shoots around 2 moa.

For what they cost it would be hard to lose money on the deal.

</div></div>

It will certainly be Christmas in August when FedEx arrives
grin.gif

I'll post a couple photos when I get it unpacked.

Congrats with the Garand purchase! I absolutely love my M1 that I picked up a year or two ago. It had a new Boyd's stock, but the receiver SN is dated to spring of 1945 and is in beautiful condition.

Save your Enbloc clips.

MilSurp Boxer primed brass (with the primer crimp removed) can be reloaded pretty effectively.

147-155gr bullets, 50.0gr of IMR-4064, and a standard Win Large Rifle primer (Be certain they are not seated so they stick out from the cartridge base.) assembled to the same length as the GI ammo will feed your rifle to within its basic accuracy capacity.

Going all BR-KuKuferKoKoPuffs over the ammo assembly will not yield large benefits with the basic issue-grade rifle. Just keep the primers from sticking out and things should be OK.

Invest in the N/M style sight upgrades, they're worth the tarriff.

If you are on the taller side, consider one of those 1" thick rubber buttplate replacements (but keep the original aside). If you're tall like me, you'll appreciate the additional stock LOP, especially when wearing corrective glasses.

I have always preferred the standard cotton Garand sling.

My Garand has a nice satin Tru-Oil finish, is glassbedded, wears a tan aftermarket cotton Garand sling, has the rubber extension buttpad, .052" N/M rear sight, and a comp grade hooded front sight with a ring sight insert. It is, simply put, a precious jewel to me.

Shooting the 8" gong at 200yd is <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">boringly</span></span> monotonous. My LR Garand load is Rem brass, 175SMK, CCI BR-2, and 48.0gr of IMR-4064.

Having a properly maintained Garand with accurately zeroed battle sights and 10 clips of ball ammo at the ready has long been my definition of the term 'properly prepared'.

Although my USMC issue weapon was the M-14, we were also ITR trained for combat deloyment with the Garand. Fond memories, indeed.

I have owned the AR and the M1A, as well as my DCM Garand. These days I stiil have the Garand, and also maintain an SKS for backup (too cheap and indestructable not to...).

Greg

congrats!!!! bought mine a few years ago, put a new barrel on it and it shoots great! check out widners reloading supply they have great prices on either 147 or 150 and 168 milspec style bullets. I use the 147.150's in my garand with great results and i use the military load data from this site. i use the 168's with the military match load data published from this side with great results as well! shoot and have fun

You'll never regret it!

"In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised."
LGEN George S. Patton, Jr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll post a couple photos when I get it unpacked.</div></div>

Send pictures of your thumb too.

Just kidding. I got mine from the DCM in the early '80s and haven't got my thumb yet. I got my thumb a time or two with a M-14 (loading single rounds) but never a M-1.

I've shot the crap out of mine, by all readings the barrel is shot out but it's still capable of cleaning the GSM 200 yard targets (except when I'm standing).

Now go back to the CMP and get a cartridge belt and bayonet. It's a law that you can't have a CMP Garand without a M1 Bayonet.

Garands are my favorite. I own 2 and plan on getting some more through CMP. Congrats man have fun with it!

Hard to believe, I actually managed to get a Garand <span style="font-style: italic">Left</span> Thumb once. Don't ask how, it's too embarassing to talk about...

I've got a 1952 H&R M1, though not thru the CMP. Still my favorite rifle to shoot.

Congrats! You will enjoy your Garand!

Living a little over an hour from Camp Perry and the CMP store has caused M1 multiplication in my gunsafe.

Here's my HRA Service Grade Special I bought about 2 years ago from the CMP. This is the best deal the CMP has going. The metal on the gun is new condition, original condition and all matching (all HRA). It is bascially a brand new HRA Garand with an aftermarket stock.

HRA_Special_b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 57Strat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here's my HRA Service Grade Special I bought about 2 years ago from the CMP. This is the best deal the CMP has going. The metal on the gun is new condition, original condition and all matching (all HRA). It is bascially a brand new HRA Garand with an aftermarket stock.

HRA_Special_b.jpg
</div></div>

Looking good! If I get one that's anywhere near as nice as that I will be a happy camper. I'd trade a little finish wear for an original stock, but really, you never know what you're going to get until it arrives. Yes, for $595 you really can't beat it.

For those who may be interested in current CMP order turnaround times. I just checked my e-store account and my shipment is going out today. I have a FedEx tracking number that shows delivery for tomorrow.

That's exactly 2 weeks from dropping the paperwork in the mailbox to getting the rifle in my hands. Not bad at all.

Again, I'll post pics when it arrives.

I made the trip to the south store in Anniston from SW Florida and was there yesterday. I went looking for a Win-13 service grade which I found, but somehow ended up buying another winchester service grade and 2 SA sevice grades. I have got to stop going there :)

It arrived!

Here it is with just a quick wipe down with a cloth. Cell phone photos, sorry for the quality.

I couldn't be happier, it has an USGI stock with a great color and patina and the metal looks good too. Throat 2+ muzzle 1+

The biggest blemish is the gouge on the comb of the stock. Not sure if that can be toned down a bit or not, but it's not too bad.

Looks like the CMP just sold out a few days ago. I guess I ordered just in time.

Again, this is a Service Grade HRA. How did I do?

UBMzQ.jpg

z6LiN.jpg

6uwtU.jpg

IIHQS.jpg

Xe2n3.jpg

zWNoe.jpg

Very, VERY NICE!!!

Congrats on a fine pick-up. Now clean her up, grease her down and get to shooting her!!
wink.gif

As for the gouge on the forward portion of the comb...it is hard to tell from your pic if it is actually missing a chunk of wood or if it is just more of a "dent" in the wood. It may be possible to steam some of it out (but again...it depends on the actual damage/injury to the stock/wood).

Congrats again on your first (but hopefully not your last) Garand!!

awsome man, looks good. Nows the time to go through the parts and see what ya got. Ive got a spare HRA op rod if'in yer interested

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very, VERY NICE!!!

Congrats on a fine pick-up. Now clean her up, grease her down and get to shooting her!!
wink.gif

As for the gouge on the forward portion of the comb...it is hard to tell from your pic if it is actually missing a chunk of wood or if it is just more of a "dent" in the wood. It may be possible to steam some of it out (but again...it depends on the actual damage/injury to the stock/wood).

Congrats again on your first (but hopefully not your last) Garand!!</div></div>

Thanks! On the gouge, it's definitely missing some wood in that spot, not just a dent. Maybe 1/16" deep. Doesn't really bother me, it's just the most noticeable blemish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awsome man, looks good. Nows the time to go through the parts and see what ya got. Ive got a spare HRA op rod if'in yer interested</div></div>

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to give it a deep clean tonight and see if all the parts match.

For the stock, I've read that pure Tung oil, cheesecloth, and elbow grease will get it clean and not damage anything. But I'm open to experienced advice on this matter. I really just want to remove all the cosmoline, get it clean, and keep it protected, but I don't want to damage the finish or color.

Re: Just placed my order for a CMP M1 Garand (PICS!)

Nice looking rifle. With the small back porch I would guess the stock is Springfield Arsenal. Rest of the parts will be id'ed when you take her apart for cleaning.

Most of the HRA service grades I have seen and the ones I looked at yesterday at the south store usually had SA trigger groups and oprods, and the SA service grades had H&R trigger groups and oprods. The 2 SA service grades I picked out both have H&R oprods. I can't remember on the trigger groups. I should receive them this coming Tuesday as they are being shipped Monday. Let me know if you might be interested in a swap. On the gouge you have I have repaired a couple of mine with missing wood by mixing some saved walnut sanding dust with two part epoxy and using it as a filler. Usually comes out pretty nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Most of the HRA service grades I have seen and the ones I looked at yesterday at the south store usually had SA trigger groups and oprods, and the SA service grades had H&R trigger groups and oprods. The 2 SA service grades I picked out both have H&R oprods. </div></div>while stationed at benning I frequented the south store ALOT, over the couple years I became friends with a nice gentleman that works there. They actually do this on purpose during the behind the scenes inspection/test fire phase. They do this because then they would be selling potentially correct or collector grade rifles which they have already and at a higher price. This is why alot of the guys i know usually buy them in pairs, a springfield and an HRA

Yes, that is what I was told also by one of the armorers up there. It is because the last batch of Greek Air Force Garands are so nice in order to make some service grades they had to do this. The finish on the two SA service grades I bought this past Wednesday is every bit as nice as the finish on the correct grades I looked at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rifle. With the small back porch I would guess the stock is Springfield Arsenal. Rest of the parts will be id'ed when you take her apart for cleaning. </div></div>

Agreed.

A friend from school inherited his Dad's Garand, 1945 build, Signal Corps. insignia impressed on stock. Was used to qualify and that was total round count. That was the 1st Garand that I had the opportunity to shoot, was a good example.
Nice rifle, good luck.