• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just pulled the trigger!! Savage 110 FCP HS 338 LM

snipedogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
Florida
Well I just committed to purchasing this rifle. I sold my rifles a few months back and I can't stand it I need my hobby back. I'll be using it primarily for 1000yd shooting and stretching it out further when I get the chance. Wanted to see if anybody has gotten the chance to use one yet or work up a load for it. I know it's the same as the BA just a different stock so any opinions on the BA would be helpful as well. I'm thinking of trying a box of 300 SMK and 300 OTM Bergers to start load development. Thanks guys!

Re: Just pulled the trigger!! Savage 110 FCP HS 338 LM

Congrats on the new baby! As for me I have had my BA for about a month and shot a few loads, I have one or two that look promising. If it has the same barrel, don't expect out of the box sub moa consistency. Sub moa shooting is there just not every shot every time? Most have said the barrel takes about a 150 rounds to season. Good luck and keep those range reports coming!

Diego

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on the new baby! As for me I have had my BA for about a month and shot a few loads, I have one or two that look promising. If it has the same barrel, don't expect out of the box sub moa consistency. Sub moa shooting is there just not every shot every time? Most have said the barrel takes about a 150 rounds to season. Good luck and keep those range reports coming!

Diego </div></div>

I believe that is just a aspect of the 338LM. Alot of guys I've shot with that have them don't worry about 100 yard groups they all group them at 200 and 300 because they all say the bullet doesn't completely stabilize until 150 yards so you can be shooting 1/2 now at 200 or 300 but the same load will be shooting 1.2moa at 100 and that's re only way any of us can make sence of it.

I could be wrong but that's just some collective experience with the 338LM.

Good Luck,
Merritt

Thanks guys.

I typically don't do load development under 300 yds even with my smaller caliber stuff I had. Didn't make sence not to when I primarily shoot between 600-1000. It'll be a month before I get everything together but I'll definitely post range reports once I get out. Now I just gotta figure out what powder and primers to start with...

Just got done with everything and the rifle is shipping out tomorrow. Got a hell of a good deal, $1230 shipped and insured, couldn't pass it up. I'll post some pics once I get it home. Looking to put a 6-24X50 PST on it and see how it handles the 338 round. I was debating just going all in with a NF but not sure if I wanna invest that much into the whole packag yet.

Can't wait to see the range report, especially how many rounds it takes before the barrel settles down and groups good.

All my load development and grouping is done at 300 yards. You have to start somewhere and 300 yards seems like a good place for the 338 because if you can't group there it will only get worse the further out you go!!
So far I am still shooting about 3/4 to 7/8 MOA @ 300, I hope to bring it in to 1/2. Time will tell. As a side note the barrels look compleatly diffrent from teh FCP to the BA?
Diego

I agree diego. No point in grouping any less than 300 and it just always sounded good in my head and it's 100yds less that I have to walk and put targets up lol. As far as the BA and FCP being different, the action and barrel are exactly the same between the 2. With the 1/9 twist I'll have plenty of twist to spin the 300 grainers. I'm ordering the Berger OTM's right now and a friend of mine has a bunch of 300 grainers he is going to throw my way to try out. He shoots a TRG with the 1/12 twist so he had to switch to the 250gr SMK's and he started whooping up on everybody once he could get stability from his bullet. Helps me out, now I get free bullets
smile.gif

Do I have parts missing? Savage 110 FCP HS 338 LM

Guys:
I had problems finding the 110 FCP in 338 LM and finally found one in a local gun store on the 23rd. The dealer had to locate all the plastic bags and parts and sealed it up in front of me. I opened it up at home and the picatinny rail was missing. Called them X 2 days and they are giving me the run-around. Savage is closed until Jan 3rd for the holidays so I am going by all the literature that says the 20 moa rail IS included. I disputed the credit card charge but wanted to hear from you guys: Is the rail included? A replacement looks like $60 + shipping so I want the vendor to do the right thing. I paid $200 more from a local vendor when I could have saved that much by getting it from Budsgunshop.com. Thought I'd help the little guy and having remorse at doing the right thing. Am I wrong? Is it supposed to have the rail? Thanks

Re: Do I have parts missing? Savage 110 FCP HS 338 LM

Good thing it's a Savage and not a Sako TRG or Accuracy International. On those, that rail IS an option, and costs about $250 as I recall!! No kidding. Those 2 companies really rake you over the coals on essential accessories.

Jim G

It says 1 piece picatinny rail included ... no mention if it is a regular or a 20 Moa rail , but definitely the rail is included , so reclaim it .

Any updates? Mines in Jail so Im looking for info.

Provo, the scope mount (rail) is part of the package and not an accessory. It is to be a 20MOA. Has the local gun shop stepped up and found it for you?

Snipedogg, should have posted to you first since you are the creator of the thread. Congrats on your purchase! Let us know how it goes with a range report.

All of the rails supplied by Savage on the early 110FCP have been a 0moa Aluminum EGW base.

Supposedly, not too long ago EGW supplied Savage with a bunch of 20moa bases so at some point Savage may start shipping the rifle with an incline base. Dont take it for granted you have or will be getting a 20moa base, measure it to find out.

I have been fondling one at a local shop for the last couple months. From what I can tell, it has a 0 MOA base on it, but it DOES come with a base.

All 10FCP HS had 0MOA but the 110FCP HS were all to have 20MOA. Now if I could just remember the person at Savage that I spoke to last month that told me that. There was another thread here on the Hide about the mount MOA on the 110. Didn't matter to me as I removed the mount and replaced it with a steel 30MOA from Farrell (SAV-RTL-1-30).

I picked up one about 2 weeks ago. Mine has a zero Moa rail on it. Bye the way I had a small issue with mine, but was a quick fix. The rail screws were to long on the front and hit the bolt when you tryed to close it, other then that was very happy with it. I finaly got to shoot it last night, and was very impressed when I left the range. I got 5 rounds off cleaning between each round for barrel break in. I can not wait to get out to Manatee with it.

Been talking with Savage this week on another topic and then brought up the Scope Mount Rail MOA issue (0MOA) on the 110FCP HS Precision 338LM. The Director of Customer Service for Savage Arms stated for those that have factory 0MOA bases to call Customer Service and talk with a representative for help.

Just pinged the Dir. of CS again and will see what he says.

Just got a message back. You can call in and discuss the MOA issue you have but you will probably end up needing to send in the base for Savage to review. Just be sure to include a note describing the problem and a phone number ( i would suggest complete contact info) should they have to reach you.

Snipedogg, I have the same rifle enroute. Look forward to seeing how it shoots. As far as the rail goes, I am putting a Near tapered base on it anyway.

Hey man i just bought a savage 110 FCP and i am getting 1 inch groups at 600yds and 4 inch 5 shot groups at 1000yds love the gun i am useing 87.5grs of Retumbo 215m primers hornady brass 2615fps i broke in the barrel 20 shots and i have about 60 shots down the tube but how can i get 2700fps out of it shooting 300gr bergers i have tried VV n560 and retumbo if i put 88grs of retumbo it blows the primer e-mail me please at [email protected] if u have any idels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DAMN taylor... you can shoot</div></div>

Rarely do you hear, "You can shoot better then the rifle!" lol.

Sorry for the late post to end this thread. The gunshop in Southaven MS wouldn't do the honorable thing. In fact, the target that came with the rifle had a hole in it. Savage was helping me with the documentation to send to my credit card company in order to dispute the charge for the rifle. They asked me if I would rather just have them send me another at no charge instead of the hassle with the gun store. Of course I took their offer and became a loyal Savage customer. They also confirmed that a hole in the target meant that the dealer had fired the rifle and sold it to me as a new gun. Anyone in the Memphis/Southaven MS area should beware of Southaven's largest gun dealer. Thanks all for confirming what I thought so I didn't abuse the gunstore w/o the facts.

I had the same problem with the screws for my base when Savage sent me a new base. Called them and they sent me more screws. You have to wait about 15 minutes on hold when you call but get great customer service when they pick up the phone. Never a problem with Savage. Not like the guys at Mossberg; don't know what I was thinking buying a Mossberg anyway. They lost any future business they may have gotten from me now.