• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes *JUST RELEASED* Nightforce NX8 FFP 1-8x24mm 30mm Tube & ATACR F1 1-8x24mm 34mm Tube Models

I've never looked through a 1-4 NF. I've looked through a Gen1 Vortex PST 1-4 and a Gen 2 Razor 1-6, could you compare to those?

I got your comment regarding the locking turret on the ATACR. I was wondering if the same is true for the NX model. When I looked at the descriptions I didn't see that it was locking with the current offering.

Thanks!

Same as the 1-4... bit tighter since its a compact scope.

There currently IS a locking turret (same as the 4-16 ATACR) ATACR 1-8, but its not currently in production. Ive seen it, it exists, its just not on the preliminary production run for reasons I don't know.

^ I’ve seen it and have pictures of it. No I’m not about to drop them on here.

The picture isnt exactly top secret. Id prefer the exposes style turret. Figured that option just got canned in favor of a capped in the product development progression.

Attachments

• photo82998.jpg
    photo82998.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 305
Reactions: OFIS
What does the ATACR brings to the table over the NX8?

The exit pupil of the NX8 seems veeery small at 1X, only 7.9 mm, have anyone tried it? The old NXS 1-4x24 has a whopping 16 mm exit pupil at 1X.

The ATACR exit pupil is 11.3 mm at 1X, not great but certainly better. BTW, if the objective lens is 24 mm then it is impossible to have a 3.19 mm exit pupil at 8X, perhaps the real magnification is about 7.5? Nightforce always kinda "rounds???" the numbers.

The exit pupil of the NX8 seems veeery small at 1X, only 7.9 mm, have anyone tried it? The old NXS 1-4x24 has a whopping 16 mm exit pupil at 1X.

The ATACR exit pupil is 11.3 mm at 1X, not great but certainly better. BTW, if the objective lens is 24 mm then it is impossible to have a 3.19 mm exit pupil at 8X, perhaps the real magnification is about 7.5? Nightforce always kinda "rounds???" the numbers.

The differences between these two (again my opinions, others may vary, and I will get to test them more once my personal pair come in for my rifles) -
the ATACR has the better ED glass, better low light performance (34mm tube) HUGE eye box, and better eye relief (much more forgiving)
The NX8 has the NXS quality glass, a lightly larger FOV than the ATACR, a much tighter eye box, and is similar to the NF 1-4, obviously other than having 8x and being FFP as well as daylight visible illumination where as previous models came up short. While the ATACR has less FOV, the HUGE eye box gives the feel of a larger FOV than what the specs state.

Mr. Fenix Mike,

Could you compare the NX8's eye box to the Gen 2 Razor 1-6's on low power?

More specifically, is one better suited for a 3-gun optic?

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
Mr. Fenix Mike,

Could you compare the NX8's eye box to the Gen 2 Razor 1-6's?

Thanks,
Bob

The NX8 is about 75% of what the Razor is for eyebox... I personally feel that was Vortex's greatest achievement, other than weighing as much as it does and lack of zero stop. I bounced between that and the MK6/8 multiple times because each one had little things I disliked. I will give a longer term review of the NX8 when mine shows up (hopefully in a couple weeks), and then when the ATACR ships, I will have some close and long range (800m+) reviews with it, turret testing etc.

I'll look forward to your reviews.

You spoke generously of the ATACR's eye box. Would you say its comparable to the Razor's?

I was considering the lighter Razor for next year, but these NF offerings might have me saving more pennies for a prettier option...

I'll look forward to your reviews.

You spoke generously of the ATACR's eye box. Would you say its comparable to the Razor's?

I was considering the lighter Razor for next year, but these NF offerings might have me saving more pennies for a prettier option...

the ATACR eye box is marginally better than the Razor... 10% give or take. That's saying a LOT because I was a Razor fanatic. I will probably have to test out one of the lightweight models eventually just to see how they do. My Scar 17 is a 13 inch SBR and one of my absolute favorite go to rifles because its light, easy to take anywhere, zero recoil suppressed with the correct gas jets, and with M80 Ball, still has no issues at 800m. If the MK6 had a better reticle and unlimited turret elevation, it would be a heavy contender in my favorites, and if the Razor was lighter and had some more updated features that all the other Vortex Razor scopes have, the same goes for it. Nightforce really took all the greatest parts of the other scopes and built them into the ATACR, and reading some of the other preliminary reviews, the others agree. The NX8 was going to go on my Scar 16 SBR (10 inch) as its perfect size and really will take full advantage of that rifle, but I may just put it on the Scar 17 until the ATACR comes in to see how it does.

The picture isnt exactly top secret. Id prefer the exposes style turret. Figured that option just got canned in favor of a capped in the product development progression.

ugh. Rails on rails again. Must be amateur hour again.

on topic. The locking turret from the 4-16 should be put on everything.

If I was mostly holding I wouldn't mind the pinch turrets as much but I dial a lot with a 1-8 and it's just kind of annoying to have to always pinch it. The only locking turret designs I'm a fan of are S&B's where you can either lock or unlock them or the NF 4-16x42's turret.

I can see why they offered capped turrets, a lot of people want them and there's a good chance that optic came about because of a military request and that's how it is. With that said though I would order an ATACR F1 1-8x24 the instant it's available (just like I did the NX8) if they offered a version with the 4-16x42's elevation turret for a little more $$$. IMO that would be the ultimate 1-8 optic. Combine it with the NX8 line and they've got the 1-8 market on lockdown.

I really do disagree as far as the NXS glass and I've had a lot of them mostly in the form of 3.5-15X50 F1's plus some in SFP, and several of the compact optics. I rate it in the "great glass" category and when you get their you're really splitting hairs as you're already well beyond what's considered serviceable. In lower power optics glass quality isn't quite as noticeable as the same glass in a high power optic, IMO that's where they really begin to separate. But is the glass as good as S&B's overall? Not really but in terms of resolution which is most important to me they are VERY close. I don't think the ATACR glass is quite as good as S&B's in any category except resolution either, but it's still phenomenal glass and wouldn't limit anyone from doing what they need to. It's really splitting hairs when you get up there. Feature set, eyebox, and reliability are far greater performance factors at these levels than a touch better glass here and there.

I perfer the pinch turn turrets over any turret system I've seen on the market again they lock the turret in any position even if some elevation has been dialed and do their job in a manner that is efficient, fast, and hastle free. Having to pinch a turret seems to me to be a very small gripe especially when the turret requires a very slight amount of force so small that once you get used to doing so and develope muscle memory you don't even realize it's there.

As far as how noticeable glass quality is on LPV's when we're dealing with scopes like these with 8x erector ratios better glass is absolutely noticeable. 8x is a high erector ratio and we're zooming in or magnifying our own glass at 8x so if there's impurities, irregularities, or the glass just doesn't transmit light well when we crank up the magnification level those imperfections in the glass get magnified at 8x and it will become easily noticeable. Lower end 8x scopes seem pretty good at low power but at 8x the image is far from the same quality this is due to lower end glass. Add a small objective to the mix and it really is critical to buy good glass on an 8x scope.

Again the MK8's glass, H27D reticle, durability, tracking, and the overall feel of the optic are second to none even S&B or anyother. There's just not alot of room for improvement over the MK8 in these areas. Where there is room for improvement is for a manufacturer to offer the same quality of the MK8 at a significantly lower price or at a significantly lower weight while it's nice to see more options on the market from what I'm seeing Nightforce has not done either. Mind you I mentioned earlier where to get a MK8 with the TMR for $2,450, or with the H27D for $3150 and you can find the H27D for $3k if you catch it a the right time so that's the price point to beat.

The NXS will be a welcome addition to the market and it fills a currently unfilled a niche in both quality and price point below the MK8 and above the Accupower. NXS series glass is good but it's not in upper stratosphere of high end optics like the MK8 is. I'm glad the ATACR will be offered with turrets as an option no doubt that will up the price though. In the case of the ATACR when your talking $3000(we don't have pricing equipped with turrets yet) optics I think it's reasonable to objectify what the scope offers that the MK8 doesn't at a lower price point depending on reticle selection. Likely that once equipped with turrets the ATACR will cost the same as the MK8 with the H27D.

The MK8 is an outstanding quality optic just not alot of room for improvement on the MK8's quality. The only criticism the MK8 ever recieves are it's cost and weight. Without scarificing features or quality those are the biggest areas of opportunity where Nightforce could have beaten out the MK8 but I'm not seeing it. Maybe once I get my hands on the ATACR I'll feel differently. The market has been asking for lighter less expensive optic that matches the MK8's feature set and quality for years as of right now I don't see that optic delivered with the ATACR. When someone builds me a $2,000 17oz CQBSS not NXS I'll be jumping for joy and while I'm asking the impossible I'd like a 25oz S&B 5-25 as well those are what I would call large leaps in optics technology the ATACR seems to just add more options to the existing market all be it welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sabre672

Most companies round off the numbers of their zoom levels Leupold is the only manufacturer I'm aware of which states actual magnification levels in their product specs on the website. I posted a link on page 2 of several companies long range scopes actual magnification levels that were measured. Bushnell, Kahles, March, Nighforce, Schmidt & Bender, USO, IOR, Steiner, and Zeiss all tested at slightly different magnification levels than claimed that was true for 14 out of 18 scopes tested. It seems to be just an industry standard and everbody execpt Leupold is doing it.

Manufacturers are afraid to state actual magnification levels and redneckbmxer24's statement that he thought the ATACR had an advantage over the MK8 because he thought the ATACR was a true 1x and the MK8 was not is an example of why. When ppl research optics most don't have time to research much deeper than some light reading and looking at specs. If one manufacturer such as Leupold states the actual magnification level and others do not it puts Leupold at a disadvantage. Yet I appreciate that Leupold has the integrity to do so anyway I just wish other manufacturers would follow suit. The truth is that all LVP's each and everyone of them have some amount of magnification. Some are better than others and some are worse but none of them not one is an absolute measurable true 1x most seem to be about the same 1.1x just like the Leupold. 1.1x however is so little magnification that it really doesn't matter or hinder performance with both eyes open.

Last edited:
I perfer the pinch turn turrets over any turret system I've seen on the market again they lock the turret in any position even if some elevation has been dialed and do their job in a manner that is efficient, fast, and hastle free. Having to pinch a turret seems to me to be a very small gripe especially when the turret requires a very slight amount of force so small that once you get used to doing so and develope muscle memory you don't even realize it's there.

As far as how noticeable glass quality is on LPV's when we're dealing with scopes like these with 8x erector ratios better glass is absolutely noticeable. 8x is a high erector ratio and we're zooming in or magnifying our own glass at 8x so if there's impurities, irregularities, or the glass just doesn't transmit light well when we crank up the magnification level those imperfections in the glass get magnified at 8x and it will become easily noticeable. Lower end 8x scopes seem pretty good at low power but at 8x the image is far from the same quality this is due to lower end glass. Add a small objective to the mix and it really is critical to buy good glass on an 8x scope.

Again the MK8's glass, H27D reticle, durability, tracking, and the overall feel of the optic are second to none

I’ve had a different experience than you with the mk8. Reliability has been sub par, mainly due to tracking issues. I’ve only had my hands on 8 of them, maybe I just have a few lemons. On the pinch turrets, I was surprised to see that someone liked them as much as you do. I’ve found that they are easily filled with sand/debris which defeats the pinch action. The capped turret was probably a contract requirement. A scope like that is going to end up on a carbine that will see a bit more abuse than a heavy long gun. Exposed turrets are surprisingly easy to shear off. Additionally, For the ranges and type of shooting the 1-8 was designed for, I don’t see the need for dialing. Just a different perspective for you.

Last edited:
I’ve had a different experience than you with the mk8. Reliability has been sub par, mainly due to tracking issues. I’ve only had my hands on 8 of them, maybe I just have a few lemons. On the pinch turrets, I was surprised to see that someone liked them as much as you do. I’ve found that they are easily filled with sand/debris which defeats the pinch action. The capped turret was probably a contract requirement. A scope like that is going to end up on a carbine that will see a bit more abuse than a heavy long gun. Exposed turrets are surprisingly easy to shear off. Additionally, For the ranges and type of shooting the 1-8 was designed for, I don’t see the need for dialing. Just a different perspective for you.

Killswitch did a tracking test of the larger MK8 which is posted in the stickied thread he youtube'd that as well and gave it some high remarks on both it's tracking and glass. Despite MK8 scopes having a reputation for tracking well you've had 8 different MK8 scopes that's $24,000 in equipment BTW and all have had tracking issues and that wasn't something that could be cleared up by Leupold who's warranty and customer service is stellar. You've also had a problem with sand in turrets causing the locking mechanism to cease up despite the fact that CS Tactical has a youtube video out there in where they pour sand into the locking mechanism trying to make it cease which doesn't happen. Well that's certainly a different perspective.

Reactions: Sabre672
Killswitch did a tracking test of the larger MK8 which is posted in the stickied thread he youtube'd that as well and gave it some high remarks on both it's tracking and glass. Despite MK8 scopes having a reputation for tracking well you've had 8 different MK8 scopes that's $24,000 in equipment BTW and all have had tracking issues and that wasn't something that could be cleared up by Leupold who's warranty and customer service is stellar. You've also had a problem with sand in turrets causing the locking mechanism to cease up despite the fact that CS Tactical has a youtube video out there in where they pour sand into the locking mechanism trying to make it cease which doesn't happen. Well that's certainly a different perspective.

While im sure everyone here can appreciate your right to be a Leupold fanboy (the only one ive EVER seen praise the MK8 that much, I didnt care for the 3 I had and most of my friends share the opinion), this is a NF thread about their new product.

The greatest part about the NF warranty, is that with owning over 25 of their scopes (not at once obviously), ive never had to use it. That says enough for me! I also have a great video and picture of a NF NXS scope absorbing a 338 Lapua chamber failure, and likely being the leading reason my face is in tact.

Here are some comparison specs of the ATACR 1-8 and the Kahles16i . The price is $2744. vs $1999. - Weight is 21oz vs 16.9oz (4oz dif)- FOV at 1x is 96.1 ft vs 138.8 ft - Nightforce FOV at 8x is 13.1ft - Kahles at 6x is 26.2 ft. - eyebox at top and bottom magnification: Kahles is pretty decent and easy to use - ATACR 1-8 eyebox ? - Scope length - the Nightforce is .440" thousands or a little under a half shorter.

While im sure everyone here can appreciate your right to be a Leupold fanboy (the only one ive EVER seen praise the MK8 that much, I didnt care for the 3 I had and most of my friends share the opinion), this is a NF thread about their new product.

The greatest part about the NF warranty, is that with owning over 25 of their scopes (not at once obviously), ive never had to use it. That says enough for me! I also have a great video and picture of a NF NXS scope absorbing a 338 Lapua chamber failure, and likely being the leading reason my face is in tact.

You seem to have insider information on a scope which was made available for pre order less than 48hrs ago. Such as information that the ATACR may/will be offered later with an elevation turret, and the differences in eyebox between the NX8 and ATACR, and now you've a picture of both scopes. We all wish our UPS guy drove as fast as yours.

Interesting how that a scope which had received only praise for everything other than the price and the weight for years is now reportedly breaking on everyone and right here in the new product launch thread for it's competition too. I know you want to put me in that Leupold fanboy box but when we're talkin about spending $3k of my $$ I think It's fair and reasonable to ask for objective info on what the ATACR does that the competition (yes that would be the MK8) does not? In what areas is it head and shoulders above and how does it merit my business more than the competition? I've never been turned on by a manufacturer who's representatives or even fans bad mouth the competition all that tells me is that they've got no objective merits of the product they're discussing to talk about instead as well as the fact that the people who either surround that product, are involved with it, or own it may be of low integrity.

Last edited:
You seem to have insider information on a scope which was made available for pre order less than 48hrs ago. Such as information that the ATACR may/will be offered later with an elevation turret, and the differences in eyebox between the NX8 and ATACR, and now you've a picture of both scopes. We all wish our UPS guy drove as fast as yours.

Interesting how that a scope which had received only praise for everything other than the price and the weight for years is now reportedly breaking on everyone and right here in the new product launch thread for it's competition too. I know you want to put me in that Leupold fanboy box but when we're talkin about spending $3k of my $$ I think It's fair and reasonable to ask for objective info on what the ATACR does that the competition (yes that would be the MK8) does not? In what areas is it head and shoulders above and how does it merit my business more than the competition? I've never been turned on by a manufacturer who's representatives or even fans bad mouth the competition all that tells me is that they've got no objective merits of the product they're discussing to talk about instead as well as the fact that the people who either surround that product, are involved with it, or own it are of low integrity.

Its clearly obvious you haven't read any of my posts, otherwise you would have seen that ive owned multiple MK6 and MK8 scopes (as well as Vortex and other competitors), and stated my likes and dislikes about each. As far as insider info, the NF scopes have existed for quite a while in the testers market. As stated, I don't have my own yet, all pictures (once approved for distribution) are posted from prior testing. I don't generally go out and test a new 2018 vehicle designed to beat most of the ones developed in 2014 and older without stating which components were improved on from the older vehicles, same applies to the scopes. Your back to back posts, boasting strictly your views on the MK8 (and not a comparison to anything listed in this thread), really don't have any place here. The same would be said if I went into the MK5 thread and wrote a paragraph on how much better the NF 4-16 is, without ever having touched or researched the MK5.

Asking for differences and being inquisitive is one thing, stroking Leupold in a thread in a trolling manor though, is just annoying.

Reactions: nhoj_yelbom
I'm going to have to agree with FenixMike. You are adding nothing to a Nightforce thread.

Leupold was the first one to the game with a 1-8.Kudos to them! I was there in 2009 when Dave Neth won the Fort Benning 3 Gun Match with one of the prototypes and as soon as the match was over, he had to dismount it from his rifle and give it back to the Leupold rep. I remember checking it out and thinking what a game changer it would be. A couple of years later, I was using one professionally and my opinion quickly changed.

I'm really glad you have faith and confidence in them. I certainly don't. The Vortex 1-6 has replaced it and seen some serious work and been rather trouble free. I like my Nightforce's and for one am glad to see them come to the table with not one, but two solid 1-8 options. I've come to really trust the reliability of my 4-16's and 7-35. I can only guess that there 1-8's will follow in those footsteps.

Last year, I talked to the guys from Nightforce at an event and had a brief opportunity to check out the ATACR as they were showing select folks. It was impressive and I remember the guy telling me that if they were going to be late to the game, they better have something worthwhile. From what I saw then, I will agree. The illuminated reticle brightness was stunning. It was brighter on its dimmest setting than the H27d was in the Mk8 on max. While I did not have it side by side to my Vortex, I would easily bet it was brighter than that also, and I consider that the gold standard for brightness. The eyebox was massive!

I'm real curious to see how these shake it in some end users hands and hope to have the opportunity to try them or get my own very soon.

Enjoy your Mk8!

Reactions: nhoj_yelbom
How do you think these will compare to the minox zp8 or the S&B short dot? I love the MR10+ reticle an the dual focal plane illumination on the minox, and similar on the SB short dot

How do you think these will compare to the minox zp8 or the S&B short dot? I love the MR10+ reticle an the dual focal plane illumination on the minox, and similar on the SB short dot

Haven't shot the Short Dot much, but I have a Minox with the MR10+ reticle. I've played with the NF ATACR for a few days, and the illumination in the NF is significantly better than the Minox's. Reticle is usually user preference, I prefer the NF reticle over the Minox as well. The Minox will be the only LPVO that I don't sell as I switch over to the new NF offerings, but I think that, as a whole, the NF is going to be the better scope. I've already got the NX8 ordered, probably get the ATACR after the holidays.

I had a Minox and all in all felt it was a good 1-8 option; however, if I remember correctly, the illumination had a strange reflection/glow within the tube that annoyed me. Also I absolutely hated the push/pull turret caps. Maybe a user preference thing, but I just did not like how they almost felt airlocked when depressing them. I don’t have any experience with the ATACR line, but I really like my BEASTs turret feel. I like the feel more so than the S&Bs, Premiers, and Leupolds I’ve had. Nightforce does make a great product in my opinion and I’m really looking forward to these 1-8s.

Interested- I'm assuming MSRP or are any hide vendors offering anything off? Are they shipping at this point, or if not - when?
Not sure at all between the NX8 and ATACR. Like the weight of the NX8, but not sure on the .2mil turrets vs .1 on the ATACR, and like the ATACR reticle slightly more.
Other options I've been considering are the Minox and waiting to see how the GPOs fare...unless Bushnell or Burris come out with a non-BDC 1-8x FFP solid mid-tier option at SHOT.

I do think the NX8 will sell well as there just isn't much out there in a 1-8x FFP non-BDC reticle.

I had a Minox and all in all felt it was a good 1-8 option; however, if I remember correctly, the illumination had a strange reflection/glow within the tube that annoyed me. Also I absolutely hated the push/pull turret caps. Maybe a user preference thing, but I just did not like how they almost felt airlocked when depressing them. I don’t have any experience with the ATACR line, but I really like my BEASTs turret feel. I like the feel more so than the S&Bs, Premiers, and Leupolds I’ve had. Nightforce does make a great product in my opinion and I’m really looking forward to these 1-8s.

This is good info as I've been considering the Minox, now also considering the NX8 and ATACR.

Can someone explain the 'other' turrets not-yet-available on the NF? Exposed but locking/what's the lock mechanism?

This is good info as I've been considering the Minox, now also considering the NX8 and ATACR.

Can someone explain the 'other' turrets not-yet-available on the NF? Exposed but locking/what's the lock mechanism?

Identical to the NF 4-16x44 ATACR basically.

the ATACR eye box is marginally better than the Razor... 10% give or take. That's saying a LOT because I was a Razor fanatic. I will probably have to test out one of the lightweight models eventually just to see how they do. My Scar 17 is a 13 inch SBR and one of my absolute favorite go to rifles because its light, easy to take anywhere, zero recoil suppressed with the correct gas jets, and with M80 Ball, still has no issues at 800m. If the MK6 had a better reticle and unlimited turret elevation, it would be a heavy contender in my favorites, and if the Razor was lighter and had some more updated features that all the other Vortex Razor scopes have, the same goes for it. Nightforce really took all the greatest parts of the other scopes and built them into the ATACR, and reading some of the other preliminary reviews, the others agree. The NX8 was going to go on my Scar 16 SBR (10 inch) as its perfect size and really will take full advantage of that rifle, but I may just put it on the Scar 17 until the ATACR comes in to see how it does.

This is good info as I'm a Razor fan, perhaps not a fanatic... Has the NX8 arrived for you, if so, can you comment on the glass aside from FOV vs the Razor 1-6x (no rush if you said you'd review soon, I might've missed that)? The 1-6x is my second Razor and I think the clarity was stellar for the price(s) and I've heard NXS glass is so-so before this thread, but would have to judge for myself.

Last edited:
This is good info as I'm a Razor fan, perhaps not a fanatic... Has the NX8 arrived for you, if so, can you comment on the glass aside from FOV vs the Razor 1-6x (no rush if you said you'd review soon, I might've missed that)? The 1-6x is my second Razor and I think the clarity was stellar for the price(s) and I've heard NXS glass is so-so before this thread, but would have to judge for myself.

I haven't received either yet, im hoping any day though, but with SHOT coming up as well as the holidays (and no time off at work to shoot!), im not in a huge hurry.
As far as the Razor 1-6, ive had quite a few of them as well, and other than the weight, I really didn't have any complaints. Unfortunately being on a Scar 17 with some weight reduction done to it, the Razor really offset it to where I kept going back to the Leupold MK6 1-6 for weight savings, which after a while I hated enough to go back to the Razor again. Hopefully the NF will end the cycle of Scope ADD!

Noted and thanks, I prefer the stark reticle of the Razor up to 6x, clean and not at all in the way (NOT the JM one though). This will be on a 223 JP SCR-11 for 3 gun and fun in general, which is already significantly lighter than a SCAR, at least one not on a diet I reckon, so weight savings aren't at the top of my list. I'm definitely interested on how the NX8 holds everything it offers together through the eyes of a practitioner though, soon enough...

​​​​​​Guys,

Just wanted to update everyone since the original promised delivery on the NX8 scopes has passed - Looks like they will not likely be shipping until the week of the 8th. I am not sure of the reason for the delay but I would have to imagine it is due to them concentrating on making them RIGHT instead of FAST ;)

Thanks for you patience!

Jason

Good to know. Patiently waiting for my NX8 from you folks. I can't wait to run it through its paces

​​​​​​Guys,

Just wanted to update everyone since the original promised delivery on the NX8 scopes has passed - Looks like they will not likely be shipping until the week of the 8th. I am not sure of the reason for the delay but I would have to imagine it is due to them concentrating on making them RIGHT instead of FAST ;)

Thanks for you patience!

Jason

When are they promising the ATACR?

​​​​​​Guys,

Thanks for you patience!

Jason
hopefully, NF take times to fix the tight eye box on NX8 as other memeber here states.

I think everyone already making assumptions about a scope they haven't seen should probably just wait until it comes out and see it in person, instead of already complaining about something that doesnt yet exist for anyone other than the handful that were part of the testing process.

Nightforce does it right the first time... im not aware of any "2.0 Versions" they have ever produced.

Nightforce does it right the first time... im not aware of any "2.0 Versions" they have ever produced.

That isn't 100% accurate. I agree that Nightforce has excellent quality. But just like every other optics manufacturers, there are plenty of "2.0's" in the line up.

There was an excellent thread not too long ago with Frank, Ilya, and another person I can't remember discussing the evolution of Nightforce glass and how they moved to ED glass (and what ED really was). It was really informative from people who know.

But evolving as a manufacturer is a good thing, not a bad thing. Otherwise you fall to the wayside like some companies have (cough*Leupold cough*).

That isn't 100% accurate. I agree that Nightforce has excellent quality. But just like every other optics manufacturers, there are plenty of "2.0's" in the line up.

There was an excellent thread not too long ago with Frank, Ilya, and another person I can't remember discussing the evolution of Nightforce glass and how they moved to ED glass (and what ED really was). It was really informative from people who know.

But evolving as a manufacturer is a good thing, not a bad thing. Otherwise you fall to the wayside like some companies have (cough*Leupold cough*).

I wouldn't call moving from NXS to ATACR as a "2.0" as the scopes were redesigned from the ground up with 34mm tubes, ED glass, and completely new mechanics as well. Like others, they have improved things such as creating the NXS F1 3-15, and the newer ATACR 5-25 SFP scope, where as the original could be possibly thought as a "1.0" that was redone (id give you that one as a 2.0 Version), however they haven't put out any garbage that was quickly recalled/rebuilt to fix design or engineering flaws, at least to my knowledge.

I agree with you Mike. The connotation that 2.0 applies to fixing all the issues that existed on the initial release doesn't apply to Nightforce. It's been more of an evolutionary process.

I agree with you Mike. The connotation that 2.0 applies to fixing all the issues that existed on the initial release doesn't apply to Nightforce. It's been more of an evolutionary process.

Then there, I agree with you... the illumination to the Digilum, new Zero stop system, new turret system, PTV etc.

Thinking back, its tough to compare my ATACR 7-35 to my first NF a decade ago which was a NXS 5-22x56 with nothing more than illumination!

Last edited: