• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns just showing off 1911

eli polite

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
delaware
This is a set of grips I just finished for a hide member I have another identical set I have to make for him. I have to say he has been very patient they took longer than I thought.

the wood is real ebony inlayed with silver.

This is not an attempt to sell any thing as I am not currently taking any order until I am 100% caught up that may be till the end of summer!

Wow, that is awesome! Nice job. Let me know when you are taking orders again!

How did you inlay the silver? Do you cut out the shape and just tap it into the wood? Or do stincil the image then carve out a space for the shape to lay then glue it in?

Thanks
I am not looking to steal any business I just want to make some punisher grips in walnut I have.

How did you inlay the silver? Do you cut out the shape and just tap it into the wood? Or do stincil the image then carve out a space for the shape to lay then glue it in?

Thanks
I am not looking to steal any business I just want to make some punisher grips in walnut I have.

no worries.. I have actually done some of those.. If your not a patient person you will not make it through

silver

skull inlay maple inlayed into walnut

first cut and shape your silver its smart to make a stenciled so both skulls are the same.. after you have your silver done trace it on your set of grips and carve the wood out. in most cases you will have to bend your metal to the contour of the grip. this is the most time consuming step. If you decide to do it I would recommend not going all out with silver first may be some aluminum or brass may be copper.

GOOD LUCK !!

In general, successful inlay work is the most incredible skill to witness. I have tried it myself on two occasions and between the eye strain and lack of extremely detailed motor skills it was quite humbling.

Yes the more i read about it the less confident i am, i think i may try to find someone to build me some.

Outstanding work...I get to see those in a couple months too!(the ebony grips in the first photos)

Put up a photo of the Cherry Burls you made too! I just heard about them tonight while smoking a nice Essencia and a pour of , uh some good bourbon I can't mention that has become a west coast cult bottle

Eli's work is some of the best I have ever seen. The silver inlay in the ebony is meticulous. Glad to have found Eli and had himmake these for me.

I'm not sure something so flashy would be for me, but there's no denying the good craftsmanship. It is nice to see quality American work and a customer base that still appreciates fine American craftsmanship. Unless you made those chained to a bench in China with suicide nets around the roof of your building!

Congrats on your 1911. Nothing better than customizing you 1911. Great look. I have Crimson Trace grips on mine of I won't customize them.

Those are beautiful and the fine workmanship is obvious. I'm familiar with the skill needed to create art at that level (though not capable). I don't have a 1911 worthy of grips at that caliber as mine get too much use. However, I can admire and drool.

Thanks for sharing.