• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Just starting out...help

Batch114

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2009
Kenosha, Wisconsin
I am new at the sniper / long range stuff and have no clue what to get. I will have about 3k in a week or so to get a rifle and a scope. What caliber, brand, etc....
Like I said I am new to all of this.
Thanks for any help in advance

Batch114

Re: Just starting out...help

You'd better get the best, or you'll be shunned by your peers. Keep that in mind.

The thing is.....what is "the best" everyone I shoot with is CQB and entry...I am looking to branch out a little. any help with a brand, model, caliber, etc... would be great.

an ex swat guy here has a scope for sale Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 mil reticle. Is that to much for a 600yd range?

Sorry for sounding stupid but I have no clue.

Batch114

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/

have a look through this.... part 1 - 2 - 3... then work from there once you have an understanding of what is required and if you want to follow through.

wink.gif

What do you plan on using the rifle for and what's your budget? Your profile shows Sheriffs Dept. Are you a Deputy or a civilian employee? Does your agency have a SWAT team established and and a rifle(s) already set up for the task?

Read, read, and read. The above article is good.

I suggest trying to hook up with other rifle shooters and try their kit.

3K should get you going. If you buy cheap you will buy twice!

If you are with a PD, try the SWAT sniper TRAINER, and pick his brain.

Ergonomics are important.

Talked with a couple guys this morning on the swat / tac team hear and in Milwaukee.
One uses a rem 700pss, Lupold MK4 mildot, harris bipod, 308
the other uses an FN SPR A1, NF 8-32x56 mildot, harris bipod, 308

Now what to get.....I read the article and would have no problem with taking classes as I do every year for the past 5 years (pistol, rifle, shotgun, medic)

I am a Deputy for the past 2 years.

Thanks so far for help, anything else is appreciated.

Batch114

based on the 2 set up you have listed, I would go with 700pss and use the price delta to get the NF scope. To me, SPR's stock is slightly better, but that can be added when funds become available in the future if you really want one.

Just my two cents, hope this helps.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/voHt52tsT1U"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/voHt52tsT1U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Depends on what youre wanting to do with the rifle. Work rig? Hunt? Punch paper?

Both setups you listed are good.The Remington probably has more aftermarket support than the FN. Leupolds are good scopes,Nightforce are very good as well. 308,good caliber to start off in. Pick the brains of the members assigned to those rifles,they'll be able to help you alot.

Anyone know how the new Savage Arms Model 10FCP is with the ACCUstock and trigger? has a fluted barrel and a threaded on brake? Thoughts are for a suppressor later down the road?

I know branching off here......suppressors? worth the money on a bolt action 308? does it change the impact point? I have one on my MP5 and all is good there, never had a chance to try, hear, see one on a 308.

Thats my thoughts for the savage?

tahnks again

batch114