• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just what ammo does NYPD carry?

Bob Shaver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2006
Illinois
I know that placement is everything, but damn.....

Harlem man survives being shot 21 times by NYPD

By Brett Michael Dykes
Aug 9, 11:51 am ET

Yes, apparently a person can be shot 21 times and live to tell the tale — not that it's the sort of achievement that anyone is going to run out to emulate. Over the weekend, a Harlem man survived what some are calling a record number of bullet wounds and is now recovering at a New York City hospital.

Early Sunday, a fight broke out at a party in Harlem that spilled into the street. According to the police officers who arrived at the scene, Angel Alvarez was seen fatally shooting Luis Soto. When Alvarez turned his weapon on the officers, a fierce firefight broke out. More than 50 bullets were fired, almost all of them by the police. At least 21 of those bullets pierced Alvarez's body.

Luckily for Alvarez — whose criminal record includes at least eight prior arrests — none of the bullets hit his brain, heart or major arteries. His family members say that even though his arms, legs and torso were riddled with ammunition, Alvarez is "doing all right" and talking. It's believed he'll survive. A forensics expert told the New York Daily News' Simone Weichselbaum and Virginia Breen that Alvarez is probably the new holder of a somewhat dubious record.
"I would say more than 20 gunshot wounds is a record," Dr. Vincent DiMaio, a forensic pathologist who specializes in gunshot wounds, told the paper. "Of course, the real issue is where you get shot. One bullet can kill you, but believe it or not, a body can survive a lot of bullet wounds."

Meanwhile, some locals who witnessed the gunfight that left six people, including two cops, wounded are disputing the NYPD's version of events, saying that the officers — some of them in plainclothes — never identified themselves as law enforcement.

"Never once did you hear 'Freeze,'" Shariff Spencer told the New York Times' Trymaine Lee and Colin Moynihan. "Never once did you hear 'Stop.' Never once did you hear 'NYPD.'"

Through a spokesman, the NYPD has insisted that the use of force was justified, saying that Alvarez fired on the officers. It's been reported that the incident began with Alvarez and Soto arguing over a woman.

Re: Just what ammo does NYPD carry?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Meanwhile, some locals who witnessed the gunfight that left six people, including two cops, wounded are disputing the NYPD's version of events, saying that the officers — some of them in plainclothes — never identified themselves as law enforcement.

"Never once did you hear 'Freeze,'" Shariff Spencer told the New York Times' Trymaine Lee and Colin Moynihan. "Never once did you hear 'Stop.' Never once did you hear 'NYPD.'"

</div></div>

Uh Huh...

Sorry, I have no idea what they are carrying. Do they still have to have the NY Trigger on their Glocks?

I bet SlapChop can answer your question!

The duty ammo is 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124+P GDHP. Jeff, you are correct, the Glock 19s, Sig P226s and S&W 5946s are all modified with that dreaded "NY Trigger". Something in the area of a 12lbs trigger pull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Never once did you hear 'Freeze,'" Shariff Spencer told the New York Times' Trymaine Lee and Colin Moynihan. "Never once did you hear 'Stop.' Never once did you hear 'NYPD.</span></div></div>

Kinda hard to hear verbal commands when there is a fusillade of gunfire all around you. As usual though, it's always the fault of the police.

For once I wholeheartedly agree with Slapchop.

Who gives a shit if they ID'd themselves as police or any of the other trivial bullshit. Normally, I'd see this as an issue. In the middle of witnessing a homicide? screw it, let 'er rip.

"Excuse me Clarence, please put down the pistol...Clarence, of course I'm a cop. Clarence...I'm warning you."

HAHAHAHA.

What planet do these ghetto parasites live on where they think that killing someone in front of a police officer gains you anything but new holes?

The guy that bought my '78 BMW R100RS was shot 5 times in the chest with a 9mm in a bar fight and survived.

21 is pushing it though.

Years ago the 38 ammo we had was so weak it wouldnt go though heavy clothes in the winter. The NYPD will nevr spend the money for new guns and ammo. Qual is only 2x per yr and most guys cant hit shit so a 40cal will be a nightmare for dept.

When OCCB was issued their first Glocks in the "experimental" period, IIRC 1988-89ish they were restricted to 9mm Ball. Glad to see that at least better ammo is now issue. I still get the yearly "NYPD Shoot Report" and still am amazed at how much lead a perp can absorb. I went to training for a week with two guys from the Firearms and Tactics Training Division during that period.

Funny thing is that a perp can take 23 rounds and still be fully conscious and aware. A cop is pushed into a glass table and he severs and artery and dies before he even gets to the hospital.

You can have the best ammo in the world but I'm a firm believer that its all about shot placement. Thing is that it's extremely difficult to concentrate on shooting fundamentals when your target is firing back at you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When Alvarez turned his weapon on the officers, a fierce firefight broke out. More than 50 bullets were fired, almost all of them by the police. At least 21 of those bullets pierced Alvarez's body.

</div></div>

I see their marksmanship is getting better.
grin.gif

I bought some Speer GDHP a couple of years ago,on the front of the box it said"The choice of Law enforcement professionals"(quoting from memory)and on the back it was stamped "Not for LE use".I think I still have a partial box somewhere.Asked a friend in a local sheriffs Department and he said that's what he uses.

This why when I get out of the car when I think there is ANY chance of violence the Rock River carbine in in my hands.

Pistols buy you time till you can stop the fight with a rifle.

This is very good advice.

BIL is a sheriff's LT in TX. One of his deputies was serving a warrant on a local bad guy. BIL gets call of trouble, arrives on scene to see BG shoot said deputy in chest( luckily wearing vest, all good later, but out of fight).

BG shoots up car with 9mm, misses BIL, and vice versa. BG enters his vehicle to retrieve new mag, and then charges BIL driver side door to flank and finish him in the front seat. BIL has exited passenger side and retrieves Bushy from trunk lid. Two to the eyebrow area, fight over.

He now, never, has the carbine in the trunk. It replaced the shotty, in the front. His 9mm, is also a 40 now.

Still gold dots tho....

ANd same thing there as NY.... local libtards defending the BG. I'm sorry, but not just of family.... "when you shoot at an LE officer, you have just discarded any of your rights to a fair fight". You got what you earned.

Unfortunately the liberal, cop hating politicians here in NY and most large urban cities have made it so that the average patrol cop will NEVER see a patrol rifle. Instead they are forced to fight with 9mm until the arrival of ESU.

Slapchop,

That is a damn shame sir. I'd be out one damn fine BIL here in TX if had lost our minds like that.

It's sad day when common sense is outweighted by the mental midgets of the typical big city politburo.