• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just wondering

rdl65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
TN
I was wondering if anyone had taken a CZ 452 Varmint and modified it to have 2 action screws and free floated the barrel. I was thinking if you had two action screws, pillar bedded the action and floated the barrel it would help the accuracy. I may be totally wrong and it wouldn't be worth the trouble but I would like to hear from someone who has done this. Or any ones opinion, why it would or wouldn't help accuracy.

Re: Just wondering

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdl65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if anyone had taken a CZ 452 Varmint and modified it to have 2 action screws and free floated the barrel. I was thinking if you had two action screws, pillar bedded the action and floated the barrel it would help the accuracy. I may be totally wrong and it wouldn't be worth the trouble but I would like to hear from someone who has done this. Or any ones opinion, why it would or wouldn't help accuracy. </div></div>

You can cut a dovetail in the back of the receiver just like the dovetail cut in the barrel. This is how the CZ452 Americans are made. I would say freefloat the barrel if you can and want to undertake the project. All my rimfires are freefloated except for the CZ452 varmint I have. That one has the infamous barrel stud and screw. One thing you can <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> do is drill and tap a hole directly to the rear of the receiver like a remington 700. There is not enough metal there to get the appropriate number of threads for your rear action screw which is why CZ does the rear dovetail cut on their 452 Americans. Yeah you can do a search on rimfirecentral as this topic has been discussed over there.

Hope this helps

Gene

Re: Just wondering

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdl65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if anyone had taken a CZ 452 Varmint and modified it to have 2 action screws and free floated the barrel. I was thinking if you had two action screws, pillar bedded the action and floated the barrel it would help the accuracy. I may be totally wrong and it wouldn't be worth the trouble but I would like to hear from someone who has done this. Or any ones opinion, why it would or wouldn't help accuracy. </div></div>

You can cut a dovetail in the back of the receiver just like the dovetail cut in the barrel. This is how the CZ452 Americans are made. I would say freefloat the barrel if you can and want to undertake the project. All my rimfires are freefloated except for the CZ452 varmint I have. That one has the infamous barrel stud and screw. One thing you can <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> do is drill and tap a hole directly to the rear of the receiver like a remington 700. There is not enough metal there to get the appropriate number of threads for your rear action screw which is why CZ does the rear dovetail cut on their 452 Americans. Yeah you can do a search on rimfirecentral as this topic has been discussed over there.

Hope this helps

Gene </div></div>

And Help it did. I was thinking of drilling and tapping it like a Remington 700. Thanks for the advice.