• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns K-bar knives worth it?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Looking for a knife that I can use for various tasks that won't end up being a piece of shit in a year or two. Are the K-bars well made knives? Or possibly Ontario since they make .mil bayonets?

I really know nothing about metallurgy when it comes to knives. Don't really have a need for one, but I just don't have one!

Re: K-bar knives worth it?

do yourself a favore and get the gerber LMF 2. It will never break!

kabar's are mostly made out of country. I will not support a co. that is out of country when there are so many well made U.S. companies making knives here.

ESEE knives. They are made here in the U.S, and come with a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. I have the ESEE-4 and it is the best knife I have ever owned.

Depends how much it costs. I own one, I never take it anywhere. I take my strider, or crusader forge.

Kabars are generally good solid knives. Depending on your price range and what you want to use it for there may be better options available but Kabars are decent. I like ESEE and Becker (which is actually made by Kabar) for reasonably priced working field knives. I'm not a knife fighter so if you want a fighter someone else will have to give recommendations.

Depends on how much you are looking to spend. I have a Tops and love it. They will have a model for exactly what you need. Very good steel and they put a hell of a blade on em.

ESEE knives would be another decent option for around the $100 mark.... then Ontario.

My 2 cents

We use them to kill the hell out of the hogs. They work great but if we don't clean and oil them that night, they look like an undersea relic by morning. They rust so fast it is silly. We still use them but we ended up picking up some Glock knives for cheap, reground the worthless point, and they work really well and can go at least a day longer before rusting to heck. YMMV

They are pretty good. I have a few. For a fighting/ survival knife Its pretty good. Especially since you can get them for $55 or so online... If your looking for strength get the Tanto style. Very strong.

Check out the Benchmade Nimvarus (a little pricer I know). I've had mine for a couple years and it the blade is still sharp. Not to mention the blade and tang are one piece with a real comfortable grip.

Well, had my K-bar since 1982, heavy use, used for everything from digging holes to choping wood and it still takes an edge. For the money best knife money can buy. There are better knives i guess, but I have had more than a few gerber knives, all fixed blade and at least in my experience they are not a robust as the old K-bar, and they don't keep an edge as well, but they do sharpen easily. Anyway, MHO for the 1/2 cent it is worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.topsknives.com/

maybe an option, they are American made. There are however many more U.S. companies making knives. </div></div>
I know a guy here who is a local seller of Tops. He gets seconds and blemished knives and they run about half off. Truth is I have looked at them and the blems are something like a number 2 stamp didn't look right or something so small it has to be pointed out. If you want his contact information send me a PM and I will get that to you. TOPS do make some sweet looking knives and have been military tested and abused with smiles.