K31 rebarrel in 7.5 x 55 Swiss information.

lrgrendel

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 6, 2012
Sanford. FL
I have a K31 barreled action with a worn out and pitted bore.
Looking for experienced information on the above caliber.

Would like to do maybe a heavy barrel with a bench rest type stock. I own three K31’s so I really like the bolt system and action!
Have these been re- barreled before? Are there reamers available?

Thanks

Davester

Private
Belligerents
Jan 11, 2012
Yes and yes. However a peculiarity of the design is that there is a cam on the breech face to close the bolt. Loads of information on this at Swissrifles.com.

I have heard of smiths using the tenon from the old barrel as a stub and fitting a new barrel to that, but not what you want if your aim is bench-rest. Of course in Switzerland, when your K31 wears out, you just buy another as that is much cheaper.

If you re-barrel you may consider changing calibre to 7.62x51 as it is ballistically pretty much identical and ammunition/components will be easier to come by.

lrgrendel

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 6, 2012
Sanford. FL
Thanks for reply.
I was just reading the forum on Swissrifles!!

Yes. This is not going to be a K31. Don’t even have any of the wood or components.
Want to keep it 7.55 x 55. I already reload for it and don’t want to have to mess with the bolt face or magazine.

Last edited:

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 3, 2010
FL
My understanding is fuhgeddaboutit.
The breech surfaces of the K-31 barrel are so complex and difficult to machine that I've read they utilize the old barrel stub bored-out and sleeved over the new barrel.

No clue how it's done, or even if you can find a smith with the experience to do the deed- but I'd be curious to know exactly how it's done (and what it cost$$) should you find out.

I do remember when I started handloading for mine (hasn't been outta the safe in forever) that the published OAL for the 7.5 x 55 was way outta whack for the K-31, which seemed to have much less freebore than the "book"- which is apparently based on the older rifles like the K-11.
I'm sure if you are able to find a smith that does this work he'll be knowledgeable on reamer specs.

Ledzep

Chancellor
Belligerents
Jun 9, 2009
NE
Might check with some of the smiths that have 4 and 5 axis machines (Area 419 comes to mind). Could probably manage that breech face geometry if they're willing.

Ledzep

Chancellor
Belligerents
Jun 9, 2009
NE
Well you can ask LRI but chad likes to send all the customers that call and ask about Savage work over to Travis Stevens so Idk how you'll fare asking about a K31.

mcfred

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2011
SW USA
This is an old thread where the OP rebarreled his K31 to 6.5x55. The breech face cam geometry didn't look all that hard to me, especially if you have a working example as a template. If you can cut a Win M70 extractor claw slot in a barrel tenon then you can do the K31. It just not easy and fast unless it's something you do routinely. You'd be surprised what you can accomplish with patience and a file.

Sorry, most of the pics are dead now.

lrgrendel

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 6, 2012
Sanford. FL
This is an old thread where the OP rebarreled his K31 to 6.5x55. The breech face cam geometry didn't look all that hard to me, especially if you have a working example as a template. If you can cut a Win M70 extractor claw slot in a barrel tenon then you can do the K31. It just not easy and fast unless it's something you do routinely. You'd be surprised what you can accomplish with patience and a file.

Sorry, most of the pics are dead now.
This is the most helpful information I have received yet, thank you very much.

I am not a gunsmith but I read somewhere that the barrel needs to be chambered before the complex work is down at the breech end of the barrel?
I guess reverse from the normal way of doing it? Don’t understand way.

I will keep you informed.