• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns KaBar for a US Marine or?

Firedude

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2006
SD
This may be a question for active duty or prior service Marines but I'm grateful for any input:

My son is a Marine 2nd Lieutenant, currently at TBS in Quantico, graduating the first part of March. For a graduation present I'm probably going to give him a tanker style holster marked with USMC from El Paso Saddlery with mag pouch (for a 1911 I built him for his USNA graduation) and a KaBar knife.

Would you, as Marine, prefer a KaBar or some other knife? He is going on to flight school, so I don't imagine he will use the knife in the field very much.

Thank you

Yes, great idea.
Not a marine, but i think your gift idea is great. Proceed.

IMO everyone should own a Kabar at some point in their life.
Practical use is secondary when it comes to gifts.
They use to make some nice ones, gold inlays and such; for each military branch. Check into those or maybe the commemorative ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: acudaowner
Get him a KaBar on a display board and get him a Randall model 15 for actual use.

Reactions: goatboy
Oh yea!
randall-made-knives-front-25__15063.1492805414.jpg

Reactions: 308pirate
His ceremonial sword is going to cost a pretty penny and I think there are some custom makers to look into if you want to get better than "Marine Shop" standard issue. Find an antigue/estate one with a real ivory handle and have it restored - that would be a treasure.

If you go with a KaBar as a Marine Id prefer a useable one rather than a wall hanger. Id look for an older one that was actually parkerized like the WWII model rather than "coated" like the present models seem to be.

Assuming he will be issued a pistol (and a rifle) and in my day those Marines that had a sidearm issued would also get a fighting knife (Ontario) to go with it. People with rifles were expected to use bayonets I guess.

I did carry a personally bought KaBar though a rifle and Dragon were my armory weapons.

When I could I left useless things like bayonets (M7) in the wall locker.

Usually though someone was enforcing "required gear lists" and my belt would ride the bayonet and the KaBar wasnt allowed.

My KaBar took a beating opening crates and getting abused. Its almost a disposable wear item but I only did one enlistment so enough of mine survived to be a loved relic.

That Randall appears a way more useful work knife.

The KaBar is sort of a sword and getting in/out of vehicles it will hang up. If mounted somewhere other than the belt it takes up some real estate. A blade length of about just about 5-no greater than 6 inches would be about perfect to me, make it a thick 90 degree spine and the greatest finish for hard work, not creating flash is parkerizing on carbon steel.

Last edited:
I’ve carried a Randall model 15 for 15 years. A Randall is a heirloom and a damn good knife.

I second finding a legacy sword with elephant ivory scales.

Where did "pilot" come into the equation?
I colored it with crayon for you!!! :ROFLMAO:
"Would you, as Marine, prefer a KaBar or some other knife? He is going on to flight school, so I don't imagine he will use the knife in the field very much. "

There is something about the KaBar that just seems to fit the military use. I would certainly hate to be stabbed by one. I bought one for my son when he graduated boot camp, just because I thought a Marine should have a Ka Bar.
They do make shorter ones, here is one with a 5.5 inch blade, maybe a bit more practical.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
"Would you, as Marine, prefer a KaBar or some other knife? He is going on to flight school, so I don't imagine he will use the knife in the field very much. "

There is something about the KaBar that just seems to fit the military use. I would certainly hate to be stabbed by one. I bought one for my son when he graduated boot camp, just because I thought a Marine should have a Ka Bar.
They do make shorter ones, here is one with a 5.5 inch blade, maybe a bit more practical.

Who reads anyones entire post?

are you some sort of weirdo?

Nah, If its going to be a KaBar it has to be the original. I even hate those that have the serrated section.

The Camillus USMC commemorative knife attracts me because it has a more WWII "spec" finish but lately the ones Ive seen have some weird false edge on them that does not seem to meet the WWII profile.

Camillus was a WWII contractor for USMC/Navy Mk2 so they are a legit option.

I appreciate the suggestions so far. He already has his Marine Corps sword, but an antique one would have been pretty cool. He doesn't know what he will be flying yet, but he wants to fly helicopters, perferably the Super Cobra or Viper.

Maybe you could get some raw ivory from Nutmeg Sports....

and have his current sword scaled in ivory.

I think the Marine shop in Quantico does "restorations" of swords, maybe nutmeg can shape the scales perhaps even mount them.

Just wild ass dreaming.

Im sure whatever you decide on will be appreciated.

Edit - Been a long time since Ive been on Nutmegs site. Obamas law changes and time may have eaten up their supply of ivory.

An interesting discussion about Mameluke grips.....

This link appears dead or just wont work on the computer Im using....

Here is a scrimshander that gripped a Mameluke.....

I’ve had a few KaBar knives over the years & I’ve no complaints. If I were to buy a knife / bayonet for hard use in a worst case scenario, I’d seriously consider the OKC M9 bayonet. It’s slightly smaller than a traditional KaBar but offers more utility. You can still mount it to a rifle if necessary.

Other worthy considerations would be the KaBar Becker model. Falkniven S1 is a great knife that offers a lower overall profile. As mentioned above, don’t forget Randall Made Knives.

Most pilots don’t want to carry a Rambo knife. I’d have this: https://fallkniven.se/en/knife/f1pro/ for function over form. The Randal is more of an heirloom for sure.
I only have 1900 hours in helicopters and 500 of those in an AH-1G. I carried a 7 in serrated blade survival knife on every flight. And yes, I’ve used the knife to cut my way out of a helicopter - only need it once to appreciate having it.

I guess the big thing is do you want it to be ceremonial or useful. For the useful side an ESEE 4 with their survival pouch sheath and kit is hard to beat. Plus he'll get to learn how to use it in SERE school.hahahaha

Ive been looking on Ebay at the Randalls.

Never thought i would lust after a 4-5 incher.....

1574534280659.png

1574534079932.png

That seller’s stuff is always way high on price.

Nordic Knives has some nice Randall knives in stock for good prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmclaine

Im on an OT tonight.

Kind of got me thinking "What would Big Fat Cock Do?" regards buying a Randall.

He would say "Fuck it!" Im sure. and get one.

While perusing the Nordic site saw this....

Model 15 "Airman"
Designed especially for air crew survival and combat purposes in cooperation with the U. S. Marine Corps Equipment Board.

The Model 15 is a good all around knife. I’d recommend either the single finger groove or border patrol handle. For a user, most of the grip materials are fine. Pick your poison on that one.

Mine is carbon steel, but they offer stainless as well. Either one is good.

I 2nd that. I’ve bought a couple from Nordic knives. Always been good

Randall model 1 is typically associated with SF.

Randall may not be a a USMC thing, but they are a damn good knife.

Concur w/ Sirhr...the Randall is nice, but no association w/ Marine Corps. Also, it's WAY nicer (and more $$$) than he's likely to carry in his aircraft. I personally would not leave a $600+ TBS grad gift from my father hanging on my gear in a squadron locker. I carry an ESEE when I feel an additional knife (he'll have a basic folder in his gear already) is warranted.

I'd recommend something specifically Marine, and with his name and TBS class info (Company, Platoon, grad date).

As an example:

(note: the above doesn't include Ka-Bar...it's just the display mount) Maybe call Wally and see if he can replace MCRD Parris Island w/ MCB Quantico (on the top), and The Basic School (on the bottom.)

If you go the 'wall display' direction, PM me and I'll dig up his Platoon and grad date (sounds like Fox Co), unless you already know that info.

Get him lifetime memberships to Oath Keepers and Gun Owners of America.

See post 24.

Model 15 was accepted/approved by USMC for aircrew use.

Seems like Randall is associated with USMC.

No doubt, Randall is a quality knife.

Highly doubt there was ANY official input from the Marine Corps on the design. The USMC doesn't invest time and effort into helping private companies with things we have no intention of buying....and we're not buying $600 survival knives for aircrew. It wasn't too many years ago we finally retired the "moonbeam" from WW2 and started flying with a flashlight designed in the last 50 years.

There's nothing that makes a survival knife more/less fit for aviation. It's just a knife, and you won't be using it in the aircraft. Bottom line, he can carry any knife he chooses, and I'd strongly suggest it NOT be a $600 item. And unless he's headed downrange, he'll likely not carry any additional knives. More likely a CamelBak.

Lastly, no knife associated w/ Marine Aviation would be called the "Airman".

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
No doubt, Randall is a quality knife.

Highly doubt there was ANY official input from the Marine Corps on the design. The USMC doesn't invest time and effort into helping private companies with things we have no intention of buying....and we're not buying $600 survival knives for aircrew. It wasn't too many years ago we finally retired the "moonbeam" from WW2 and started flying with a flashlight designed in the last 50 years.

There's nothing that makes a survival knife more/less fit for aviation. It's just a knife, and you won't be using it in the aircraft. Bottom line, he can carry any knife he chooses, and I'd strongly suggest it NOT be a $600 item. And unless he's headed downrange, he'll likely not carry any additional knives. More likely a CamelBak.

Lastly, no knife associated w/ Marine Aviation would be called the "Airman".

I dont know Randall is pushing it too on their page for the knife....

Only other thing I see on it was a mention that in 1954 the equipment board reviewed a Model 14 and they liked it.....

Im guessing after liking it they figured at the cost of them they would never be able to get them accepted as an issue item and their careers would be over for even suggesting it.

I didn’t recommend a Randall because it is connected to the Marine Corps. I recommended a Randall because it is a really good knife and will last him for many years. Plus, it’s definitely an appropriate gift for a big achievement.

I would have never associated Randall with the USMC.

Just came across that little mention in my shopping.

KaBar IS the USMC knife.

In WWII though this was the USMC airwinger knife....

1574765345165.png

Case and Camillus made these. I understand the Case ones had beautiful blued steel blades early on.

Much better suited to tight cockpits than a sword like KaBar.

Reactions: deltawiskey
I wasn’t a Marine, but was USNA ’85, and served on the USS IOWA. When I graduated, my dad got me a Colt Officer’s Model (was out new that year), and had my initials engraved on one side and USNA ‘85 on the other.

If you have any interest, I have a Bark River STS-5 (https://www.knivesshipfree.com/sts-5/) with both leather and kydex sheaths that I’d be happy to send to you to pass to your son. Bought it, but never used - and your son sounds like a great cause. Let me know if you’d like it.

Bark River says the STS-5 was designed for Force Recon. No idea if true.

Either way - glad to see your request. Go Navy, Beat Army!

You can check out Les George Knives. Marine EOD tech that makes some nice knives.

I didn’t recommend a Randall because it is connected to the Marine Corps. I recommended a Randall because it is a really good knife and will last him for many years. Plus, it’s definitely an appropriate gift for a big achievement.

Randall not connected to the Marine Corps he says!

This one is now........

image.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Duc
Hilarious!!

Mr Fatcock,

Being a fan of Randall's should you know of a suitable MOLLE sheathmaker please ejaculate your knowledge via PM so I dont shit up this nice gentlemans thread any more than I have.

Sorry for the delayed response. My son got to come home over Thanksgiving. We had a good time but got hit with some snow/weather issues which caused some issues with his flight(s) getting out of here.

brt1963- Wow that is quite the offer and I am humbled by your generosity. I will certainly consider your incredible offer.

The crayon and knife with the dick drawn on it was hilarious! He's going to get to come home over Christmas and I've thought about wrapping up a box of crayons for him as one of his gifts!:sneaky:

Thank you all for your responses, it is greatly appreciated.

Below are some pics of the 1911 that I built for him and gave him for his graduation from USNA (I've posted these in another thread).

Attachments

• IMG_3749.jpg
    IMG_3749.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3753.jpg
    IMG_3753.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3754.jpg
    IMG_3754.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Former Boot here...
If you’re set on buying him a knife, get him a nice Emerson folder for daily carry or do the KaBar on a nice mount/plaque. KaBars are a nice collectors piece for those who have the “wall of me” or a family service wall. Looks nice on the wall but for actual use in modern day, there are much better options out there.

I’d hold off on getting him a fixed blade for work, as he’ll want to get the one he decides would be most beneficial (through experience and seeing what the senior/more experienced guys carry). When my brother graduated OSUT, I got him a nice Emerson, then called him a little bitch for going Army lol.

Sorry for the delayed response. My son got to come home over Thanksgiving. We had a good time but got hit with some snow/weather issues which caused some issues with his flight(s) getting out of here.

brt1963- Wow that is quite the offer and I am humbled by your generosity. I will certainly consider your incredible offer.

The crayon and knife with the dick drawn on it was hilarious! He's going to get to come home over Christmas and I've thought about wrapping up a box of crayons for him as one of his gifts!:sneaky:

Thank you all for your responses, it is greatly appreciated.

Below are some pics of the 1911 that I built for him and gave him for his graduation from USNA (I've posted these in another thread).

Wow, what a great gift. Well done.

TBS gift update: Sorry for this long over due reply. My son graduated from TBS and is now stationed in Pensacola and will be starting flight school. My wife and I were able to attended his TBS graduation and help him move and travel down with him to Pensacola. Along the way we were able to stop at FT Bragg in NC and FT Benning GA. I was stationed at FT Bragg with the 82nd Airborne and attended basic training, AIT and Jump School at FT Benning. It was great see how much had changed (and stayed the same) since my time there. We had a nice stay in Pensacola and ate some great seafood (thanks for the advice and suggestions pucker)!

I ended up getting him a tanker style holster with USMC on it and matching mag pouch from El Paso Saddlery for the 1911 that I built him. In a incredible act of generosity, brt1963, a member here, sent me a Bark River STS-5 knife to give to my son. brt1963 is a former USNA Academy grad and wanted a young officer starting out his career to have the knife. Both my son and I were blown away by his generosity and are incredibly thankful. As you can see from the attached pics, it is a pretty awesome knife and the sheath pretty much matches the holster and mag pouch!

Attachments

• TBS1.jpg
    TBS1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 123
  • TBS2.jpg
    TBS2.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 53