• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K-Bars Marine graduation present

triumph001

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2018
Colorado
My oldest nephew is graduating marine corps basic training and I would like to get him a quality folding knife as a graduation present. His intended MOS is parachute rigger which I assume would place its own special demands on a blade if he is allowed to utilize it. I would appreciate any recomendations for a quality folder that is functional but would also stand out as something unique to show him how much we will be thinking of him while he moves into this next phase of his life. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reactions: TACC
When my Grandson graduated Airborne Ranger school I gave him a vintage WWII German Paratrooper Gravity Knife. Hope he keeps it the rest of his life.
Not a Kbar but just some input for thought. Congrats to your nephew.

I'm not very well versed in the K-Bar style knives these days, but there are some modern high quality knives out there to choose from. There are a few Brands to look into like Microtech, Protech, Spyderco and even benchmade. If he is looking for a folder I would look at the Microtech LUDT, is razor sharp, sturdy blade and is an auto which alot of guys like these days. Might not be what your looking for, but just some ideas!

Congrats to your nephew!

Reactions: triumph001
When I graduated from boot all those years ago I would have killed for a knife made of quality blade steel.
Screw the fluffy brand name, it means nothing, but a good blade...yea baby.
I'm talking 01, or W2 or if you can find it M2.
Any of those 3 will outcut and outlast all of the newer junk metals that are so in favor these days.
A well made M2 blade will seriously only need sharpened once every 2 years or so....yes it is that badass.
They are going to cost though, those metals do not move very easily under a hammer so the additional labor means dollars.
Worth every penny.

As a Rigger, Navy/Marine Corp tool control policy takes his knife out of play, so stick with EDC or heirloom. Opinions vary, but coatings on the blade can make sharpening a pain. Also opinion, serrations are strictly for emergency cutting devices and those that can't sharpen a blade.

Higher End: Zero Tolerance 0452CF
ZT 0452CF
Great Value: Spyderco Para 2
Para 2
Value-priced heirloom: Gerber Sedulo from the custom shop. You can have it made with Coyote Scales and the blade etched with his name, flag, EGA, etc
Sedulo

As a Rigger, Navy/Marine Corp tool control policy takes his knife out of play, so stick with EDC or heirloom. Opinions vary, but coatings on the blade can make sharpening a pain. Also opinion, serrations are strictly for emergency cutting devices and those that can't sharpen a blade.

Higher End: Zero Tolerance 0452CF
ZT 0452CF
Great Value: Spyderco Para 2
Para 2
Value-priced heirloom: Gerber Sedulo from the custom shop. You can have it made with Coyote Scales and the blade etched with his name, flag, EGA, etc
Sedulo
Thanks for the insight. I was wondering if he would be able to use a personal knife in his everyday duties as a rigger. I will shoot for a quality folder that he can use as an edc. Any other suggestions of gifts for a newly graduted marine going into his MOS would be appreciated as well.

What’s your budget?
Not able to go crazy but dont mind paying for quality, would like to be in the 200-300 range but could push that up a bit if necessary.

Thanks for the insight. I was wondering if he would be able to use a personal knife in his everyday duties as a rigger. I will shoot for a quality folder that he can use as an edc. Any other suggestions of gifts for a newly graduted marine going into his MOS would be appreciated as well.

Not able to go crazy but dont mind paying for quality, would like to be in the 200-300 range but could push that up a bit if necessary.
@triumph001 There are soooo many quality knives in that range. If you truly want an edc knife of incredible quality and made here in the USA i would urge you to consider Chris Reeve Knives. Contrary to a previous poster I would avoid carbon steels like W2 in the case of an everyday carry knife for a young man. They are subject to oxidation and related issues especially living in a swampy pocket and as such require routine preventative care. I mean no disrespect to anyone and love carbon steels but find that most people do not know and understand the best care practices of carbon steels. As a collector of handmade cutlery for more than 40 years I find carbon steels are best suited for cutlery not parked in humid conditions most of its life and that people who are not inflicted with the curse of loving edged tools tend to neglect the care and feeding of carbon steels. I know Chris Reeve Knives are more than you initially want to spend but it is truly a high quality heirloom piece and this graduation is a momentous and glorious occasion.

Semper Fi and best of luck to the new Marine RAH!

ETA This is a link from the manufacturer with their pricing, I would expect you could find better pricing with a little google fu.

Reactions: triumph001
i left a zero tolerance knife in a wetsuit surfing booty for over 6 months. stashed it for the ride back from new zealand. kept thinking it wasn't lost for good. as winter rolled in whatdya know!!

to say it was rusty is an understatement.

wire wheel and some elbow grease and it cleaned up very well.

still use that knife daily now 8 years later.

for a mid grade option i think very highly of ZT knives.

For $200-300 price range, it's hard to beat a Zero Tolerance or Benchmade. Both use excellent steels and are well-made.

Which one comes down to mechanism preference. Personally, I prefer a flipper-opening mechanism to every other style of opener, and dislike thumb-stud/thumb-hole openers or anything else that requires a wrist flick to open. For closing the blade, I prefer liner-lock/frame-lock locking mechanism as those can be closed with one hand, again without any movement from the wrist. I dislike Benchmade's Axis lock mechanism as it's tiny spring-loaded sliding "button" is difficult for me to actuate with wet hands and even harder with gloves. Also, requires the wrist flick movement.

Most ZTs have flipper opener and liner/frame-lock mechanisms.

Most Benchmades have stumb stud openers and Axis-lock mechanisms.

This is my EDC:
B0AEBD77-8C3E-4AE1-B451-E384286E1D24.jpeg

Last edited:
Griptilian would be about perfect TBH. I’d stay away from the saltwater series. Absolutely no rust but horrible edge retention.

Emerson knives all day long. I love the "wave" feature for one hand opening. Some don't like it because you have to reset your grip a little. They're designed to be used hard. And drop into Ernest Emerson's blogs.

Prices run about $250 +/- but beware of counterfeits. They're all over Amazon.

Emerson knives all day long. I love the "wave" feature for one hand opening. Some don't like it because you have to reset your grip a little. They're designed to be used hard. And drop into Ernest Emerson's blogs.

Prices run about $250 +/- but beware of counterfeits. They're all over Amazon.
Im looking hard at the Emerson sheepdog flipper. With the spear point and stonewashed finish. I will be ordering on Monday so I am still open to other suggestions. Thanks for the suggestions so far fellas.

Any other suggestions of gifts for a newly graduted marine going into his MOS would be appreciated as well.
I have spent a lot of years in blue (Navy) and green (USMC) paralofts and cannot think of any MOS-driven gift. If it were a given that he was going to rig at a Raider Battalion or go 03 series, I would recommend a fixed blade, specifically a Winkler Drop Point Crusher.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yours is the kind of insight I was hoping to find on the hide. More than anything I want to get him something practical and if he can use it daily even better. For now I’ll let his parents buy him the stuff that should be displayed on a shelf.

Also, thank you for your service!

When my Grandson graduated Airborne Ranger school I gave him a vintage WWII German Paratrooper Gravity Knife. Hope he keeps it the rest of his life.
Not a Kbar but just some input for thought. Congrats to your nephew.

Had a co-worker present me with a big box of knives that he had confiscated in his career and asked if I wanted any.

Right on top was a Fally knife that I can only think some kid had taken from Grandpa than lost it doing something stupid.

I picked it up and said "This is worth about $1000."

Should have just kept my mouth shut.

He took the knife and box and walked away.

Reactions: Jerry V
More than anything I want to get him something practical and if he can use it daily even better. For now I’ll let his parents buy him the stuff that should be displayed on a shelf.
Yeah if that's the case, no joy. Navy and Marine aviation must use the provided tools in the provided tool boxes which are all serialized to the 'nth degree and inventoried A LOT. Non-aircraft stuff such as free-fall, boats, and other gear thrown out like NSW, Recon, and Raider can be WAY different. Of course, if he's playing with those units, they also throw good practical kit at you.

Wave features adds to the bad ass feeling of this knife.

I’m 6’1 with pretty big hands for reference, fits me perfectly. Iv also had the regular commander. Mini is perfect.

Attachments

• 24EB5052-A13B-4E87-B5EE-64D318E64F21.jpeg
    24EB5052-A13B-4E87-B5EE-64D318E64F21.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 37