• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KAC SR-15 LPR range report, with 16 groups posted.

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I've had my LPR for a few weeks now, and felt I owed it to the hide to post up a range report in return for all the advice I got pre purchase. First, a picture of the setup to keep those of you with ADD interested:

SR-15 Light Precision Rifle with a Magpul STR stock and MIAD grip added, KAC 34mm mount holding a Leupold Mark 6 H58 optic, and a Surefire FH556-212 flash hider serving as a mount for a Surefire MINI suppressor.

This rifle is a shooter. In typical internet fashion, I'll say "it shoots sub half MOA all day long, when I do my part, as referenced by this single group:"

Now that we got that out of the way, here is the raw data on how it ACTUALLY shot, and why I feel that it is a real accurate platform:

For four ammo types, I shot four groups of 5 shots, in a column. I'll describe each as follows:

The leftmost column is American Eagle Varmint Tip, NOT MATCH AMMO, and it shot pretty damn good. Average was 1.155", 1.104 MOA. You can see that one really bad round on the last group spoiled an otherwise very respectable sub MOA average with cheap ammo.

Next (moving to the second column of groups, left to right,) is Federal Gold Medal Match 69 grain SMK ammo. This ammo performed well, averaging .8475", 0.809 MOA. Pretty consistent, with no super tight groups or major fliers to distort the numbers.

The third group of 4 groups of 5 was fired with Hornady Match 75 grain ammo. The gun did NOT like this ammo. It performed poorly. The average was 1.2445", 1.188 MOA, which is too bad, because at about $0.75 a round, if it hammered, I wouldn't bother to hand load. But, it was not meant to be with this ammo.

The last column was shot with Norma Match 77 SMK ammo. This stuff was expensive at $26.95 a box of 20, but I justified it by saying to myself "if nothing else I'll have some once fired Norma brass when I'm done shooting with it." The performance was really good, averaging 0.842," 0.804 MOA. The first group was a screamer, measuring 0.428"/0.409 MOA. It instilled confidence that I can develop a mid range load to shoot this gun at distance, as 77 SMK's are some of the better bullets going for a mag fed AR-15 platform that is intended to be shot to 600 yards or so.

In conclusion? I'm glad I got it. I like it enough to invest in a .223/5.56 loading setup, as I believe this gun is capable of breaking into the .6" average range, MAYBE better with the right handloads. It should be noted as well that all groups were shot by me, I shot them prone off a bipod and a rear bag, so there was a human element involved. Also, I wanted to post up a true, honest range report, as too often guys post up cherry picked groups giving the internet reader unrealistic expectations of what their new rifle will shoot.

This LPR averaged 0.80X MOA with two different ammo types over a statistically relevant sample size, so I'm happy with it as a starting point. For what it's worth also, the average for all 16 groups of 5 shots fired (80 rounds) was 1.023"/0.977 MOA, so in some sense of the word, it is fair to say that it shoots sub MOA "all day long," at least if you consider "all day long" to be an average and not a literal every group definition.

I hope you enjoyed this range report, I enjoyed putting it together.

-Bob

Fair enough write up. Good on you for posting an actual sample size.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get even more accuracy out of it. It shoots as good as any other match barrel out there.

I don't expect ARs to shoot 1/2 MOA; it's a silly pursuit. As soon as you find the load, and shoot 1000 rounds...it may or may not still be THE load.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great report. This is very similar to the performance I got out of my LPR. For me, the black hills 77grn were the ticket coming in at just under 1MOA, and not much under 1".

Still like the gun and glad I have it.

True internet fashion would be to cover a flier with a dime.

That is a nice setup you have there. I like an AR that can shoot well with all sorts of factory ammo. Have you tried some XM193 or 855 yet?

Really like mine. Had a NF 2.5-10x on it, went with the Mk6 also.

It's money in the bank, if you ever decide to sell.

Interesting b/c my LPR/MK 6 set up prefers 69 SMK's and Hornady 75 bthp's..... These rifles are accurate indeed but there are many other features that won me over: low profile rail, ambi controls, improved design of the ar bolt, rifle length gas system (soft shooting) and the use of a quality ss barrel. The overall construction is exceptional.

Good post bm11...

I have found that Hornady match 75gr to be not worththe squeeze. I have some older 75 gr TAP that shoots lights out, but that stuff you shot, not so great. If you do load up some rounds, try the 73 gr Berger too. It has done real well in one of my rifles.

This is 10 rd of 77 gr FGMM (I think it was?) through a normal CL SR15 E3 upper I just sold on here from 100 yds. I actually bought an LPR upper to replace it and have a SF mini for it, will be identical to yours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 59
bm11, What was the weather like? I was wondering because of the poi change. This is not a criticism, when I get shifts like that, I suspect: me( technique), me (can't read wind), me ( can't read mirage). If I shot those groups I would be thinking that gun is great! Now I have to work on myself. The 77's really show potential. Nice write up, Thank you.

Weather was decent, a bit of wind, but nothing major. I kept messing with the scope adjustments to try to get a perfect POA/POI setup, so that was probably most of the shifting that you noted.

Gotcha, still, I would be chasing that ....428 group over and over thinking the gun was capable and I was screwing up. :) The 69's also, look good.

True internet fashion would be to cover a flier with a dime.

That is a nice setup you have there. I like an AR that can shoot well with all sorts of factory ammo. Have you tried some XM193 or 855 yet?

Good call on the internet group, I shot this one today, ALL DAY LONG (with the flier covered by a quarter.)

It shoots crappy with M193 and m855, but I haven't found a rifle yet that will turn 3 MOA ammo into 1 MOA ammo.

curious what your results would be with it off... mine are tighter without my 30-BA.

Thanks for the report. I am trying to decide between a Mod 2 and an LPR.

IF you have ever handled the Mod 1, how does the LPR 'feel' in comparison? I know people rave about how balanced and light etc. that the Mod 1 is. I am having a tough time deciding on which one to go with.

How is their trigger compared to other high end triggers?

I have to think that groups would tighten up with LC brass / RE15, TAC, 4895 / 77 SMK , 77 CC.

Thank you for real review on the accuracy.

Thanks for posting, I'm currently on the fence between the LPR and building a Rainier Arms rifle using their components and their 18" Ultramatch SPR barrel. I intend to use it for bench and the occasional 3 gun match. This was a very informative post!

Can you tell me what type of buffer system it comes with? Does it use a standard milspec/carbine buffer tube or something proprietary?

Last edited:

IF you have ever handled the Mod 1, how does the LPR 'feel' in comparison? I know people rave about how balanced and light etc. that the Mod 1 is. I am having a tough time deciding on which one to go with.

I've owned both and the mod 1 is extremely well made. The LPR is noticeably heavier then the mod 1 (which lends itself as a precision rifle as it seems to settle faster after a shot). Accuracy wise, I had great results with my mod 1 and hand loaded 69 SMK's, however, my LPR with hand loaded 75 HPBT's really shoots. After 200 rounds and a good cleaning, the groups sucked right up.

So, in short, it really comes down to what your wanting.... An all around AR? in that case the the mod 1 gets the nod. As for me, I like to play more of the precision roll and LPR is set up perfectly for such a task.

Last week I picked up a Mod 1 upper (without the sights, but I already have some great sights) for $755. So I am HIGHLY considering buying the complete LPR and swapping lowers as needed. Just curious what people thought of the balance and weight of the LPR compared to the Mod 1. Thank you for your input.

I've owned both and the mod 1 is extremely well made. The LPR is noticeably heavier then the mod 1 (which lends itself as a precision rifle as it seems to settle faster after a shot). Accuracy wise, I had great results with my mod 1 and hand loaded 69 SMK's, however, my LPR with hand loaded 75 HPBT's really shoots. After 200 rounds and a good cleaning, the groups sucked right up.

So, in short, it really comes down to what your wanting.... An all around AR? in that case the the mod 1 gets the nod. As for me, I like to play more of the precision roll and LPR is set up perfectly for such a task.

curious what your results would be with it off... mine are tighter without my 30-BA.

I ordered about $1000 worth of loading components and gear today, so I should be able to do some can on vs off testing once I find a decent load.

I have a 14.5" Carbine SBR upper and have shot a mod 1, and the LPR feels a lot heavier than either of those SR-15 configurations. Still a lot lighter than my SR-25 ECC though. For precision shooting, the LPR is on the lower end of the weight spectrum, I don't think I'd want a rifle much lighter. But for run and gun, it feels like it would be heavier than I prefer.

How is their trigger compared to other high end triggers?

I have to think that groups would tighten up with LC brass / RE15, TAC, 4895 / 77 SMK , 77 CC.

Thank you for real review on the accuracy.
The trigger is good, but not nearly as crisp as a Geissele. I would say that if it came with your gun, it may be worth keeping, but for the money, there are better options.

I ordered about $1000 worth of loading components and gear today, so I should be able to do some can on vs off testing once I find a decent load.

I'm positive you'll like the results much more once you dial in a load for it.

best of luck

It looks like I hadn't wrung out the capability with 69 Gold Medal yet. I'm close enough to half MOA that I think with the right handloads I may get there. I shot this 6x5, with great results:

Average: .599 MOA
Best: .472 MOA
Worst: .722 MOA

BM11 - have you ever done the same with your Mod1? I have heard that the 14.5" in particular is rather accurate.

1/2 MOA with hand loads - yeah, I believe it will do that.

BM11 - have you ever done the same with your Mod1? I have heard that the 14.5" in particular is rather accurate.

1/2 MOA with hand loads - yeah, I believe it will do that.

I shot some groups with the 14.5" once, and they weren't that good. But the LPR wasn't that good on the same day either. So I was having an off shooting day that day, and semi auto's aren't forgiving of bad technique. I need to get it out and shoot a 6x5 with Hornady Match. The 14.5" did shoot a pretty promising group with it (.6" ish.)

It looks like I hadn't wrung out the capability with 69 Gold Medal yet. I'm close enough to half MOA that I think with the right handloads I may get there. I shot this 6x5, with great results:

Average: .599 MOA
Best: .472 MOA
Worst: .722 MOA

Hahahahahaha. LPRs suck.

Any updates with load development? Friend of mine just got one and is wondering if he should bother with a loading setup.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900