• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Kahles 6-24x56 gen3 vs 5-25x56

Peter83

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2019
Hi snipers hide.

I am about to choose between the Kahles 6-24x56 gen3, or the newer Kahles 5-25x56.

First, i have heard about tracking, and durability issues on the 6-24x56. I dont really know how much i should worry about that? is it a thing that is corrected with the gen3? Was it ever really a big problem with this scope model, or just a few rare cases?

What is the diffrence between the 2 scopes, other than the zoom ratio? Any huge improvements in the mechanical parts?

The 6-24 is alot cheaper, but i dont really want to get a scope that have known issues either.

Thanks in advance :)

Just to show you how different we all are, I wouldn't take a S&B PMII if it were half the price of either of the Kahles. Between the two you asked about I'd prefer the 525

Reactions: LG65CM
To clarify my comment, I think the 624 is a nice scope in the $1800-$2000 range they currently go for used. I have a little bit of range time behind one, but not a ton. The 525 is overpriced for the performance, according to many on here (I have not used it). But if I was spending $3k, I'd probably be considering other choices.

Reactions: acudaowner
Be aware that you have to specify "gen3" because "gen1" ranged from pure garbage to "it's okay but..."; and "gen2" was "sure is better than gen1 but still far from great."
For those that skipped gen1 and gen2 mistakes, talk about Kahles all you want. For those that invested in gen1 or gen2, they tend to be a bit wary of the brand.
For those that invested in gen1 AND gen2, we don't consider Kahles an option regardless of current offering.

There are lots of great optics companies that stand behind their products, I - personally - would not count Kahles in that group.

But opinions vary.

Reactions: diverdon
Thanks for the replys. Do anyone knows if there is a diffrence in the mechanics between the two scopes?

For retail there are better choices in the $3000-3300 price range. Personally i'd spend another $300 and go ZCO. I own both the k318i and K525i. The glass is a step up from the k624i but the optic has some draw backs. Notably FOV is considerably smaller, though CA is dramatically reduced. Resolution is better but it loses some at the top end of the mag range (past 20x or so) DOF is shallow as it kind of has been. It's by no means a bad optic it just has a lot of compromises but i wouldn't pay what i paid for it again and the used market reflects that, finding a NIB k525i for 2500-2800 isn't hard at all.

I'm not a huge fan of the k624i just because that optic doesn't control CA at all. Had they kept the strengths of that optic with the k525i it would be much more well received. FWIW i've had it next to a PMII and ZP5 thus far it's by no means lacking in contrast or resolution.

Hmm, well all the replies got me thinking. Would i better off with a NightForce Atacr F1 5-25x56?

If that is what you want you should get it . Just to ask who not another brand with way more mag if it was less money , and every bit as clear glass wise ?

I was just in the same boat as you. I ended up getting the Kahles 5-25. After putting them all up side by side, the eye box is what made my decision. The Night force was just way too small for my liking. I also had a Schmidt and Bender in the line up as well and thought the Kalhles was just as good, not superior enough for my old eyes. The reason I picked those scopes was I wanted something to adjust down to 25 yards and ffp for my Vudoo.

I have 2 624i and have zero issue with either of them and they both have been use on a .338LM. I also have 3 S&B 2 5x25 and 1 3x27. Now this this is just to my old eyes, I can see things slightly clearer with the S&B. I also were glasses so that has some effect. When asked about glass at work I always say get what looks best to your eyes.

Reactions: LG65CM and rizzle
I think the 5-25 ATACR is a significantly better option, especially if you're in the USA where warranty work on the Kahles has to go overseas and NF will have you back up and running in no time if you have issues.

I've been shooting behind Gen 2 & Gen 3 Kahles K624i AMR scopes on my Bighorn comp rifles since April 2014, and have yet to have any sort of mechanical issue with any of the six of these scopes I've owned. I love the turrets - some of the other high-end 14mil/revolution scopes I've played with were impossible to get a single click with, whereas my Kahles scopes make it very easy to take a single click. There's some purple fringing in certain lighting conditions, but it's never been anything objectionable to my vision, certainly not enough to cause an issue. I like the AMR reticle, though I might go with a SKMR3 if I were going to buy a new K624i.

I'd have had a K624i on one or both my V-22s if they focused down to at least 25yds, but am pretty well satisfied with the Athlon Cronus BTRs I have on them now, and don't feel the need to try one of the 525 SKMR3 scopes on one of the .22s. The one 525 I briefly looked through didn't have any characteristics that 'jumped out' at me and made me want to drop the $$$ to get one. Would need to have one of my 624s there to do a side-by-side comparison with a 525 before I could really develop an opinion on the optical quality, but even at the very brief period of time I handled the 525, the lack of depth of field of that scope relative to my 624s was very obvious, and disappointing.

I havent been keeping up around here much the last year or so. Its funny how fast the opinions of scopes change around here. Do yourself a favor and buy used scopes from guys who always have to have the new latest and greatest.

Reactions: 5RWill
Shallow DOF is something that extends across Kahles' entire lineup not just the new 5X erector series, the k624i is also shallow comparative to other optics like a PMII or ZP5 in my experience. The corrected CA and better resolution are the standouts of the k525i over the k624i, everything else basically goes to the k624i.

Just to show you how different we all are, I wouldn't take a S&B PMII if it were half the price of either of the Kahles. Between the two you asked about I'd prefer the 525

Says the guy who is selling a Tangent Theta :D :D :D :D

BY the way, Nils, I still want to compare the TT to my Minox, if you don't get rid of it too quickly

Thanks alot for all the answers, i really appreciate it :)

Says the guy who is selling a Tangent Theta :D :D :D :D

BY the way, Nils, I still want to compare the TT to my Minox, if you don't get rid of it too quickly
Hey Eric- I actually sold the TT already. The reason I sold it was for what we do I could not really appreciate any notable difference in hits between the TT and Kahles/NF. Sure it was more clear, and the turrets rock. But from a practical standpoint really no improved performance. Maybe if I was a better shooter...
Haven't seen you in a while - hope you're doing well buddy!

Reactions: canezach
Hey Eric- I actually sold the TT already. The reason I sold it was for what we do I could not really appreciate any notable difference in hits between the TT and Kahles/NF. Sure it was more clear, and the turrets rock. But from a practical standpoint really no improved performance. Maybe if I was a better shooter...
Haven't seen you in a while - hope you're doing well buddy!

Thank you, my friend! I'm doing well, and I hope you are as well. ! I was selfishly hoping you still had it. I wanted to take a glimpse through it to see what all the hype was about

If you absolutely like the skmr type reticles, get one of the kahles or a zcomp.

NF and Schmidt are awesome optics, but the reticles vary quite a bit from the skmr and mpct reticles.

At first glance, mil c/xt and h2cmr look similar, but when you’re behind them for hours, you’ll notice the differences.

Not that the NF or Schmidt reticles are bad, but definitely different.

I’d pick the reticle you want first and then see which brand optics are available with that reticle or something very close.

If it’s the skmr style, if you want to save money, go with a k624 or if you can find a k525 for $2500 or less, get that. Over $2500 and just get a zcomp.

Reactions: Tortuga and 5RWill
At first glance, mil c/xt and h2cmr look similar, but when you’re behind them for hours, you’ll notice the differences.

Couldn't agree more there. And i still like the Mil-C/XT but upon getting back behind an ATACR it was just much thicker at 25x than the SKMR3 which bothered me. Hashes were much larger as well. I have a feeling the EBR7B will bother me the same way for the 2/10th hashes on the horizontal. I've yet to get behind a ZCO 527 but when they become a more common commodity i'm sure i'll have one in the next year or so.

Reactions: nfoley
Have a few G3 k624s w AMR reticles. Mechanically never had an issue, they track true.
Glass is more than decent. CA doesn’t bother me one bit.
To my eyes the extra power (k525, SB 3x27, etc) is meh. Never found myself in a match thinking I wish I had x27 vs x24.
For <$2000 the 624 is very good deal. Would I pay >$2500 for a k525, nope. Have had a fair amount of time behind them and don’t think they’re that much better than the 624. Only thing I really like about the k525 is the parallax down to 25 yds, great for NRL22

Reactions: flatland1
On paper the scopes are the same besides magnification obviously but I've gotten multiple reports from customers saying they can tell a difference in the glass in the 5-25. Now this might be their way of justifying their purchase, but I really can't say for sure. I've never compare them side by side in different lighting conditions so to me they both look fantastic.

Reactions: LG65CM
The k525i is the best scope I have had. Previous pm2 5-25, 3-20us, razor gen2, steiner m7....