• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles k525i skmr3.....not the best at anything, but really good at everything (reticle pics added)

Now that I have a second k525i, my thoughts in the elevation turret have changed. My newest one is absolutely outstanding. My original one was average feeling and I’ll be contacting kahles to see if this can be remidied.

My newest one is extremely tactile in feeling and sound.

The windage is a bit better on my newer one, but still lacking a bit in the tactile area. However, it’s windage and doesn’t really matter too much.

Every kahles elevation turret I’ve handled has been outstanding. Was one of the reasons i went with them besides the skmr3. Windage i never really mess with after original zero though i still wish they would cap it. Keep us updated on their response.

I have been using this scope of a little while and have come to really like it. The FOV at 25 is fine for what I am doing. I don't stay on max but come back to 15 to 18 and that is about prefect for me, even down to 5 is very usable. I have used it in bright sunlight and on dark cloudy days. No problems. Just did a tracking test and it is dead on. If you need a new scope I recommend you get in touch with the guys out at CS Tactical and check out this scope. Now I know someone will say something about it but if the scope works for you as this one has for worked me you will be very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: CSTactical
I finally got my k318i out in decently lit conditions and was pretty astonished honestly. Guess it was the first time I’d had on a clear sunny day versus overcast. Had it next to our v6 and there was no comparison. Still waiting on my PRS2 to get the 525 up and running. It’s mounted on my tempest at the moment but stockless.

I wonder if Shannon is working on a skmr4?

I would love to see a tree with .2 hashes on the vertical and .2 windage hold dots on the tree. I have a certificate for a bit off of a 525i. That is my only hang up with the scope right now along with the lack of locking windage turret.

Question for everyone that has a Kahles in general with LSW and is right handed, or the opposite pair, so the windage knob is on the same side you shoulder the rifle on. Do you find yourself checking what the wind is dialed to more often over a conventional scope with the turret on the right side? Just curious if you do and this offsets some of the worry about no locking turret? For most it might be a subconscious thing by now but curious if it is the case. I ask because I have been bit by having a windage turret rolled and I didn't notice it for the better part of a stage.

I finally got my k318i out in decently lit conditions and was pretty astonished honestly. Guess it was the first time I’d had on a clear sunny day versus overcast. Had it next to our v6 and there was no comparison. Still waiting on my PRS2 to get the 525 up and running. It’s mounted on my tempest at the moment but stockless.

I wonder if Shannon is working on a skmr4?
It's pretty awesome isn't it Will. Right now I think the K318i reigns as my favorite ultra short, the glass is simply something to behold and when you consider how difficult it is to make an ultra short, well, Kahles really did their homework on this one!

I would love to see a tree with .2 hashes on the vertical and .2 windage hold dots on the tree. I have a certificate for a bit off of a 525i. That is my only hang up with the scope right now along with the lack of locking windage turret.

Question for everyone that has a Kahles in general with LSW and is right handed, or the opposite pair, so the windage knob is on the same side you shoulder the rifle on. Do you find yourself checking what the wind is dialed to more often over a conventional scope with the turret on the right side? Just curious if you do and this offsets some of the worry about no locking turret? For most it might be a subconscious thing by now but curious if it is the case. I ask because I have been bit by having a windage turret rolled and I didn't notice it for the better part of a stage.

I shoot left handed and like you rolled the windage more than once on regular scopes. So I do try to look. I have found that the rolling comes from the left side of the barricade just as I lower the scope and use the side for additional support when rushed. Honestly the solutions to just go a bit slower or look - but you know how that goes.

The K525i does have a shield that should easily keep the surface rub from causing that roll. The windage turret is also much stiffer than the assume elevation turret. I think they came up with a good solution -- better the more I shoot it. I am using the RSW shooting left handed.

The .2 hashes are easier to know were you are than the Minox .2 that are all the same height. At 25x the Minox does see bullet holes better paper especially if the light is weird.. But the only time I even use 25 is for load work/zeroing.. All in all the K525 ergonomics are outstanding, it is just so easy for one hand to work all the controls without the reachover~

Reactions: Tactical Taz
I am curious cro, when I read what you say here I get the impression that you think it was the scope that allowed you to get a one shot zero and shoot 3/8" groups, are you inferring that you don't think you could have gotten a one shot zero and tight groups with another quality scope? I had a one shot zero with my Minox when I first mounted it, but so much depends on your bore sight methodology, my one shot zero was using the redneck bore sight method of removing the bolt and looking through the bore of the rifle at a 100y target while adjusting my scopes turrets to what I think is center of the bore, it's only happened once, but I don't believe it was the scope that allowed me to do that. I've had a Premier, a Schmidt, a Kahles, a March, a Vortex AMG, a Minox ZP5 and now a Tract Toric on this rifle and I've been able to shoot pretty similar size groups regardless of the scope. Please don't get me wrong, I think a one shot zero and 3/8" groups are fantastic (better than what I can do regularly) but I don't think that is a result of the Kahles K525i, the one shot zero is a bit of luck and the 3/8" groups should be capable with any decent scope on there and mounted properly.

If you want to spend the money, you can do a "no shot" zero.

This is one of the things I work with for my dayjob:
https://www.ci-systems.com/awbs

ILya

If you want to spend the money, you can do a "no shot" zero.

This is one of the things I work with for my dayjob:
https://www.ci-systems.com/awbs

ILya

ILya,

How does that account for the shooter offset or other items that create offsets?

Looking thru the action or an upper, and using the shadowing of the barrel, I don't think I have ever been more than a couple of mils of at 100 (4-6").. But I get if you could get a weapon under .3 without firing it it would have value for many non- sporting applications.

Jt

Koshkin, have you used that system? Does it give you a precision zero or just on paper?

Koshkin, have you used that system? Does it give you a precision zero or just on paper?

We make that system. It gives you a precise alignment of the barrel to the sighting system and we have used it on everything from 30 cal barrels to six inch barrels and everything in between.

It obviously can not compensate for shooter biases, but it gives a very good optomechanical zero. Basically, the reticle in the boresight tool is adjusted to the mechanical axis of the barrel and then the reticle in the sighting system is adjusted to the reticle in the boresight tool.

The rifle does have to be held in a vise or some other stable position.

ILya

It's pretty awesome isn't it Will. Right now I think the K318i reigns as my favorite ultra short, the glass is simply something to behold and when you consider how difficult it is to make an ultra short, well, Kahles really did their homework on this one!

It really is, i love that little thing. I think it's easily my favorite optic i own right now.

Cool! And this system cost WHAT?:oops:

The depends on the configuration. Generally, quite a bit.

It is really intended for military customers who have to do this a lot and whose cost of ammo is a bit higher than a few bucks it takes to sight your rifle in a conventional way.

ILya

I'm sure someone will come along with the same type of cap that Swaro currently makes for the k624i i think it's just a matter of time before the gimmicky spin wheel thing doesn't stop someone's windage from being bumped on a barricade. Though maybe we're wrong and it works but i can't see it.

Will, do you find yourself visually checking the windage setting more often if the turret is on the same side as your face? I'm sure that would also offset some of the need for a locking windage. I think I found a deal on a 525 I can't pass up so I guess I will join the club.

Will, do you find yourself visually checking the windage setting more often if the turret is on the same side as your face? I'm sure that would also offset some of the need for a locking windage. I think I found a deal on a 525 I can't pass up so I guess I will join the club.

Funny enough for no other purpose than to match i changed my K525i order from LSW to RSW to match the K318i lol. Sort of wish i would've stuck with LSW but oh well. I haven't shot a match this year due to school, hell only shot one last year. Haven't even remotely had a train up for a match. Only been home twice to look through the optics. Maybe spin guard works as advertised though and it's a non issue.

Now that you mention the situation i would definitely go LSW so i could tilt my head just make sure it's staying put.

Ouch, i thought i had it bad in grad school. I am lucky to be able to shoot a fair amount of matches around me. Hopefully you are done soon.

I did go LSW for that reason, though. I will report back if I have issues with mine at all. It is probably just being paranoid however.

I have a LSW and RSW k525i. I prefer the lsw just for zero purposes and such.

I check my windage turret before a stage and that’s it, regardless of side. However I haven’t yet had a turret move on an obstacle.

If that ever happens and I start checking it prior to the first shot, I’d image lsw for right hand and rsw for left hand would be a bit easier to check.

From my experience lsw/rsw is more of a add on/luxury.

The ambidextrous parallax on the other hand is awesome.

Ouch, i thought i had it bad in grad school. I am lucky to be able to shoot a fair amount of matches around me. Hopefully you are done soon.

I did go LSW for that reason, though. I will report back if I have issues with mine at all. It is probably just being paranoid however.

I wish i were done soon, this is my first semester of dental school and we're going year around lol. Less K&M or Providence Hill starts hosting winter matches i doubt i'll be shooting any. We get two weeks in may and two weeks in august and that's it for the summer.

Sort of wish i would've stayed with LSW honestly but that's neither here nor there now. I just wanna go hunting and shoot my rifles.

Does not answer the question... it is not about shooter bias.

A perfect optomechanical zero still does not take into account the muzzle flip due to harmonics. Same reason why different loads have a different POI.

A perfect optomechanical zero still does not take into account the muzzle flip due to harmonics. Same reason why different loads have a different POI.

he wrote “It obviously can not compensate for shooter biases

So yes, it does answer the question.. You are making way to much out of this.

No, it cannot account for harmonic abnormally or the color of the shoes you’re wearing that day, or whether you’re shooting off a backpack, or driving way too hard into your bipod or have funk in your trigger pull - A can offset, or ammo issues - all those are wrapped in the answer.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
Ilya, this mechanical alignment device cannot take into account action/barrel/load harmonics. How close do you normally get with the first shot at 100 m?

The harmonics are different for every barrel, so there is no good answer to that.
The stiffer the barrel, the closer we get.

Of all the experiments we've done, lining up the bore axis at the muzzle to the sight is the best we can do.

Ilya

Last edited:
Reactions: TiroFijo

He said earlier it gets within .3 or so. I’m sure that .3 isn’t a 0 because of all the things mentioned above.

This isn’t for anyone on this forum or most anywhere for that matter.

It is for military weapons which cost quite a bit per round. Going from 10-20 rnds to zero down 3-5 is a huge cost savings across a large amount of weapons.