• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes kahles k525i

are they much better than the k624i? its one of these or the pm2 ill be using it for prs im just starting

IMO, it’s definitely better than the 624.

But, for what they sell for new, I don’t think they are worth that much. Especially with Zcomp being +/- 800.

If you can find a k525i used at 2500 or less, get it.

If you are buying new and like the skmr/skmr3, spring the extra and get a zco mpct1 or mpct2.

If you like Horus reticles, get a Schmidt.

Hard too beat a used vortex razor g2 for 1600 bucks.... Unless your dead set on either of those brands. I haven't been behind a 525 but I have been behind many a 624 and pmII and never feel outclassed with my rzr g2.

Ah well that's your first problem haha ? jk. In that case I give the edge to the pmII

Reactions: mepaddy
In that case I’d get the Schmidt DT if you found a model with a reticle you like and save a little money. I own both and think the Schmidt has better glass slightly but I like the mechanical controls of the kahles better. I think it comes down to reticle preference to split it. I’d recommend the h2cmr in Schmidt or skmr1/3 in the kahles. Can’t go wrong with either.

Right now I'm upgrading from a DMR2 to a k624i. I considered everything else that's been mentioned so far, but it's the ergonomics that steered me to the kahles and the price difference that turned me off the k525.
Surely the k624i can still hold it's own.

Last edited:
Right now I'm upgrading from a DMR2 to a k624i. I considered everything else that's been mentioned so far, but it's the ergonomics that steered me to the kahles and the price difference that turned me the k525.
Surely the k624i can still hold it's own.

I have one and it can. I’ve had a PM2, a K525 and a K318 in the last 8 months and didn’t feel the need to dump my old K624.

I don’t see the chromatic abberation as badly as other claim to, it may be my eyes or I may have gotten a better unit idk, but if it’s there it doesn’t bother me. It’s bright and clear and tracks perfectly. You can pick up used ones for a song now too compared to last year. Picking them up used is a really great value.

I am in the same boat, love my ATACR but would really like to try out a Kahles. Two main reasons are ambi parallax and the SKMR reticle with floating center dot and .2mil wind marks. The k525i sounds attractive because it's a little bit shorter, but realistically I'm just not sure I'd ever be able to tell the difference if the glass is a bit better than the 624. To this layman I'd be willing to bet it all just looks like really good glass. 1x more magnification on either end isn't that big a deal. So the way I'm looking at it, it's difficult to understand why the extra $ is really worth it for the k525i over the k624i.

I am in the same boat, love my ATACR but would really like to try out a Kahles. Two main reasons are ambi parallax and the SKMR reticle with floating center dot and .2mil wind marks. The k525i sounds attractive because it's a little bit shorter, but realistically I'm just not sure I'd ever be able to tell the difference if the glass is a bit better than the 624. To this layman I'd be willing to bet it all just looks like really good glass. 1x more magnification on either end isn't that big a deal. So the way I'm looking at it, it's difficult to understand why the extra $ is really worth it for the k525i over the k624i.
It(k525)wasn’t worth the extra dollars to me and I spent a few days with both.
I prefer the eye box on the 624i.

It(k525)wasn’t worth the extra dollars to me and I spent a few days with both.
I prefer the eye box on the 624i.

Major downside to the 624 is the redic short eye relief. I wouldn't suggest it on anything heavier in recoil than a 6.5CM. Look at pics of the scope on rifles and you'll see 99% of people run them pulled all the way back and even then its often not close enough. I would guess it's a full .75" shorter eye relief. Once close in the eyebox is pretty good though. That said the 525 doesn't have a tight eyebox at all in my opinion.

Reactions: HogsLife and M338
I am very satisfied with the features on my K624i, but it has a narrow FOV compared to my S&B I love the looks of the of the SKMR3 reticle on the Kahles.

Reactions: mepaddy
624i was ok. Good eye box, bad CA, good reticles and good overall controls.

I agree - good value at used prices, not worth the $3k new price tag they held until the 525 came out.

I was listening to the recent podcast with mike and Frank and mike mentioned that there is a built in scope wrench built into the illumination dial. If this is true, anyone have pics?
Xdeano

I was listening to the recent podcast with mike and Frank and mike mentioned that there is a built in scope wrench built into the illumination dial. If this is true, anyone have pics?
Xdeano

It’s just a tiny hex key for the turret screws. It’s a pretty cool feature.

Major downside to the 624 is the redic short eye relief. I wouldn't suggest it on anything heavier in recoil than a 6.5CM. Look at pics of the scope on rifles and you'll see 99% of people run them pulled all the way back and even then its often not close enough. I would guess it's a full .75" shorter eye relief. Once close in the eyebox is pretty good though. That said the 525 doesn't have a tight eyebox at all in my opinion.
I have a 624i on my 7mm RM and I have no problem with the eye relief. Not sure what you're talking about.

I have a 624i on my 7mm RM and I have no problem with the eye relief. Not sure what you're talking about.

Take a Schmidt, NF, tangent, razor gen 2, etc etc out side by side. It’s wayyyy shorter. If you don’t know what I’m talking about you probably don’t any of those scopes I just mentioned. Every person I know that’s owned a 624 has agreed the eye relief is wayyy shorter. Not saying it’s unusable. But your eye needs to be a lot close. And for many shooting positional stuff free recoil it’s hard to get your eye close enough.

No one is/was paying $3k for a k624i. That's msrp. map is lower and street price is lower still.
Good deal then. Everyone is getting the right value for the performance IMHO.

The 624i is what first began my interest in long range optics. So I've got nothing bad to say about it, except in comparison to other options at that price range.

Xdeano

F7CE9195-14CC-44D6-A51B-59D46FD54890.jpeg

Held in by small magnet. It’s a thoughtful feature.

for me over here in ireland a kahles k624i is £1850 pm2 is £2250 pm2 with locking turrets is £2500 the k525i is about £2500
I think the exchange rate is close to +33%.

If you want a Kahles 525i it might be worth the ticket to the US. Get a good price from CS Tactical, Sport Optics, another hide Vendor or used saving you about $800USD - not everything needs to be disclosed once you are here. ;)

Sneak in a fun match while your at it.. ok kinda kidding

Something not discussed so far is illumination. I hunt in low light for hogs and predators. When we get the option, my buddy and I start at 500 yds or further. With proper red or green illumination on the feeder we can see clearly at these distances with good glass (he runs a Mark 8 I have a 624i.) The issue is that the illumination is too bright on the reticle on a 624i. It washes everything out and makes long shots nearly impossible at night. Switch over to the 525i and it isn't the same. A very mild illumination at the base setting with a steady increase to where it's needed. Both Kahles have SKMR3 reticles and fresh batteries.

I have a k624i on a 300wm and really enjoy both the reticle and the fit/feel of the turrets. The Kahles is a huge step up from the Horus reticle I I’d, for 1k plus shots.

Something not discussed so far is illumination. I hunt in low light for hogs and predators. When we get the option, my buddy and I start at 500 yds or further. With proper red or green illumination on the feeder we can see clearly at these distances with good glass (he runs a Mark 8 I have a 624i.) The issue is that the illumination is too bright on the reticle on a 624i. It washes everything out and makes long shots nearly impossible at night. Switch over to the 525i and it isn't the same. A very mild illumination at the base setting with a steady increase to where it's needed. Both Kahles have SKMR3 reticles and fresh batteries.
My Kahles has the AMR reticle and only the centre cross is illuminated. I find center illumination much better than full reticle. That's one of the reasons I chose it over the skmr3.

I was surprised for that purpose...thought kahles was smart keeping that imp tool..unfortunately, like she always say....i dont fit
I sighted mine in yesterday. Tool fit the elevation and windage without issue.

Quick question. Anyone know where to find an ocular lens cover for the 525? Kahles website says it's 46mm. Tenebraex doesn't show an option yet. Nothing in stock I can find. ETA: The 43mm for the 624 doesn't fit. (I tried.)

Quick question. Anyone know where to find an ocular lens cover for the 525? Kahles website says it's 46mm. Tenebraex doesn't show an option yet. Nothing in stock I can find. ETA: The 43mm for the 624 doesn't fit. (I tried.)

I have Tenebraex on my 525i.

Take a Schmidt, NF, tangent, razor gen 2, etc etc out side by side. It’s wayyyy shorter. If you don’t know what I’m talking about you probably don’t any of those scopes I just mentioned. Every person I know that’s owned a 624 has agreed the eye relief is wayyy shorter. Not saying it’s unusable. But your eye needs to be a lot close. And for many shooting positional stuff free recoil it’s hard to get your eye close enough.
I gotta chime in on this on. I own and had several 624i’s. I currently run one on my prs rig. I also own and use a pm2 on my elr rig. Yes the eye releif is shorter slightly on the 624, but only by 1/4” or so. I would not hesitate to have the 624 on a heavy recoiling rifle. In my opinion there is no better value (used market) than the624 right now. It’s not the new and shiny so people are quick to say it’s dated or inferior, truth is it hangs with the big three no problem and in my opinion gives nothing up to the new 525.

Reactions: Rutter and kujuak
I gotta chime in on this on. I own and had several 624i’s. I currently run one on my prs rig. I also own and use a pm2 on my elr rig. Yes the eye releif is shorter slightly on the 624, but only by 1/4” or so. I would not hesitate to have the 624 on a heavy recoiling rifle. In my opinion there is no better value (used market) than the624 right now. It’s not the new and shiny so people are quick to say it’s dated or inferior, truth is it hangs with the big three no problem and in my opinion gives nothing up to the new 525.

ive had the 624 and 525 side by side the 525 has slightly better glass and 4 more mills of elevation and i thought a wee bit more eye relief . theres mot much in them

Reactions: NorthWesterner