• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles K624i zeroing question/problem

EastBayRidge

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
East Bay, California
Here's the scoop:

Kahles K624i (purchase used), mounted in Seekins low rings and torqued to spec, on a Badger M2008 Gen 1 action (I think it has 20 MOA built in).

At 100 yds it shot about 3 inches high, with elevation bottomed out (per brochure, about 4 clicks below 0). OK, I'll use a 200 yd zero.

Nope, at 200 yds, shoots about a half mil high with the elevation bottomed out.

I've reset the turrets per the instructions (ie spin to top of elevation, loosen set screws, then spin a bit higher until it stops), then reversed to the bottom, loosened set screws, then spun a bit lower, then tightened again). Wound up exactly where I was before, ie 4 clicks below zero.

I'll take it out again and retry to see if this made a difference, but I was wondering if anyone had some wisdom to offer on other potential solutions.

Thanks !

More cant would add to the existing problem. I am not familiar with the zero stop on the Khales but that is what I would take a look at first. I would be very surprised at a modern optic that cannot be zeroed at 100 yards with a 20 moa base.

How much total up elevation can you dial? If it is not anywhere near the advertised elevation that leaves zero stop or internal issues.

Give Khales a call and I am sure they will take care of you.

Last edited:
Resurrecting with a similar problem, now talking the windage. Have you solved how it actually works?

I zeroed at 100m and set the turrets as per instructions (loosen two set screws, turn the cap to zero, retighten).

Result - I now have 15.6 MIL available in the elevation department (plus the .4 MIL available depression) so that´s as it should be. But the windage behaves funny - I mean I have only 1.6MIL available left while to the right I can turn the knob way over where it should already stop according to the markings (I should have approximately half the turn both ways, right?).

It seems I might have reset the cap while the internal zerostop remained on the original setting. Could that be the case? I don´t think my rings are THAT way off to run out of internal windage, which the scope must have more of.

Not being familiar with the internal mechanism, how can I resolve this? How do I reset the turret so that I get the windage available in again?

Thanks, LK

Hello Lukas,

The optic if a new in box optic, will have the windage set in the center position. If you are using that much of the windage, I would recommend dis-mounting the optic, and check alignment of everything from your base to rings, rings to scope. Typically, when mounting my own rifles, when I drop the optic in the rings, if more than 5MOA off left or right, I will remove everything and try to find the culprit. I am actually dealing with this exact issue myself, with a custom rifle built more than a year ago. Put on the optic and was nearly maxed out on windage. Dis-mounted all and tried new rings, same problem. After trying a new scope and base setup with the same results, I sent the rifle to a smith to find out that the drilled and tapped holes in my receiver were off, very slightly but this accounted to more than 20 MOA at 100 yards and with the scope I was trying to use, I had only a few MOA left of windage.

You can easily check the travel of the scope by, measuring off, at least 11 Mils at 100 Meters and dialing the scope to the maximum left and right limits. If this distance is at least 11 mils, the scope is moving as far as it should. Next, set the scope at mechanical zero, and dial 5.5 Mils left and then 5.5 Mils right, check this dialed distance. This simple test will show you if the turrets are moving as they should. You do not need to fire a round to check this.

Hope this helps and always if you would like, we are more than happy to go through the scope for you at no charge. Just shoot me a PM with your contact info if you would like to go this route and we will take care of it from there.

Have a great morning,
Ken

What rifle, base and ring set up are you using?

I just moved one of my K624is from one rifle to another, same thing, doesn't zero at 100 yards because of how it was set up on the first rifle.

Solution:

Reset the turret to a higher number, like 6 Mils then just dial it down. Once you have a zero, reset the turret.

There is more travel under the zero stop you just have to move the zero stop out of the way to access it. Works 100% now...

1272133_10151965519927953_247913897_o.jpg

I just did this last week.

Reset the turret to a higher number, like 6 Mils then just dial it down. Once you have a zero, reset the turret.

Had to do the exact same thing while zeroing in a Premier Heritage this weekend. Had to reset the zero high then dial down. Once I got the scope on center, reset the turret again to the correct zero. Sorry that is almost exactly what you said Lowlight, I just wanted to share that this can happen on other scopes.

Thanks a bunch to everybody; i just didn´t want to start turning the turrets before I made sure the travel is there and accessible. Will do when back at the range.

BTW is there any detailed manual to the scope? Mine came with the warranty card only and there´s not much in the manufacturer´s downloads. Using the info from the web so far.

Here she is, Ken:

Last edited:
Hello East Bay ridge,

Please send me a PM with your number and the best time to call and we will see if we can get it squared away.

Regards,
Ken Pratt

One day, i'll do a detailed review over this scope, and I'll go over all the features and functions on video.

Ha, my post was right below one of a video you guys already did!

I'm going to watch it now.

Alright... I´m either turning something wrong, or this only works on the elevation turret.

I´m battling the windage adjustment here. I do have the advertised 11MILs available, only when zeroed, the available adjustment is WAY off balance (9.4MIL right and 1.6MIL left). It´s like only the cap is reset and the stop remains in the original position. I´d like to move the stop so that it would balance around my actual zero properly.

I don´t dial for wind, however my OCD´s killing me.

Now your OCD is killing me! I have this same scope, love it, I don't dial wind either, never checked to see if the windage was equal.........now I have to go home and check it.........

If your windage is not equal, that usually means a problem with your rifle... action / base / barrel alignment and not the scope.

it's not a scope issue, but a rifle issue.

Frank, sure it´s probably the mounts. But I still had impression that the scope could (should?) have more internal adjustment available. I´ve received info from Vienna today confirming that there is no zero stop on the windage the 11 or 12 MILs that are available is all there is.

I want to add a 20MOA unimount anyway to make all the elevation available anyway so I´ll take care of this issue by replacing that mount. However it could be important for someone else to know.

[MENTION=5482]Frank[/MENTION]: it´s just 5.5 each way. With my 308 load at our 1000m (not yards) shoot I´m at approximately 1MIL for each 1m/s of wind. Dialing some and holding a little over it is always more comfortable than holding all the wayy to the image´s edge on a 30-round string. Call it user comfort :)

If your windage is not equal, that usually means a problem with your rifle... action / base / barrel alignment and not the scope.

it's not a scope issue, but a rifle issue.
Hate to resurrect such an old thread, but it is pertinent.
I got a 624i used and put in place of the PMII that was on it (better eye relief adjustment with the Kahles vs the S&B's illumination knob hitting the rear ring). This is on a Tac Ops Lima51 with Mike's supplied Mark4 rings. When I zeroed the rifle at 100, there is 1.5 mils of R windage available and 9.5 mils of L windage available. Didn't have this issue with the S&B, and it's a TacOps rifle, so I am not leaning toward a rifle/base/ring issue per se, unless it's the operator dorking up the install. Scope shows no signs of an impact. Not even any ring marks.

Now I realize 1.5 mils will cover me for a 10mph full-value wind at 500+yds, but it just seems odd that this quality optic is this far off on an at-least-equally high quality platform.

My current plan is to pull the scope, check ring clamps for any debris, maybe swap them front/back, and re-mount and check bore-sight then re-zero. Anything else I should look at/for?

I have a similar problem I could only dial 1.5 mills left and seven right and I don’t know why I lapped the rings and torqued everything correctly. I even swapped the direction of the rings and didn’t need to lapped them. They were on point. I still can’t get past 1.5 mills left. Please Help !!!!!!! Also sidenote I had a different scope on that gun with the same rings and base and I did not have the problem.