• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Kahr PM9 vs Kahr CM9

Kahr PM9 vs Kahr CM9

I have no experience with the CM9, but the PM9 is the most reliable and accurate compact 9mm I have ever owned. The long double action trigger pull is very smooth with a crisp break. My only complaint is that not all parts are stainless and will rust from body sweat. My favorite carry piece, especially in the summer.

I had problems with my CM9. The barrel was peening badly around the lock-up surfaces after shooting around 200 rounds (50 +P) through it. Not sure if the barrel steel is different between the 2 guns, but I replaced the CM9 with a PM9 and haven't seen any issues with peening.

My only complaint is that not all parts are stainless and will rust from body sweat.

I had the same issue. The slide stop on mine would rust within a day of carrying it IWB during the summer. I replaced it with a black one I ordered from Kahr's website and no more issues. It looks a little odd, but it works.

Last edited:
Not trying to hijack the thread, hopefully this is useful info for the OP.

I had the same issue. The slide stop on mine would rust within a day of carrying it IWB during the summer. I replaced it with a black one I ordered from Kahr's website and no more issues. It looks a little odd, but it works.

I don't have an issue with the slide stop, it is the mag release and trigger pivot pin.
Kahr.jpg

The price difference between the two pistols represents polygonal rifling and extra slide machining (external shape, functionally irrelevant) for the PM9. Barrel peening with these is... I wouldn't say 'common', but not unusual. Kahr machines VERY tight tolerances. You'll get hood marks on a lot of copies after few rounds. I've never seen or heard of this leading to malfunction.

For my money... CM9. In a barrel that short, the polygonal rifling doesn't have as much value as it does in a 4" barrel. You're probably talking about a difference of 15fps of velocity or something similarly small.

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at this pistol for over a year. If I decide to buy one it will have to be the PM9.

...but the PM9 is the most reliable and accurate compact 9mm I have ever owned. The long double action trigger pull is very smooth with a crisp break...

^^I agree with this. I have never had a single hiccup with my PM9 even during the break in period.

Question for you guys with PM9s (or CM9s)- Does the slide loosen up a bit after some shooting? I loved the feel of it until I went to rack the slide, wow it does have one helluva spring in there apparently.

Question for you guys with PM9s (or CM9s)- Does the slide loosen up a bit after some shooting? I loved the feel of it until I went to rack the slide, wow it does have one helluva spring in there apparently.

I'm afraid that's part of the price of admission with sub compact pistols in a high performing caliber. They need to be sprung heavily to ensure they cycle with their shorter barrels and feed ramps. I wouldn't plan on it loosening up much at all and if it does, it's probably time for a new recoil spring.

I'm afraid that's part of the price of admission with sub compact pistols in a high performing caliber. They need to be sprung heavily to ensure they cycle with their shorter barrels and feed ramps. I wouldn't plan on it loosening up much at all and if it does, it's probably time for a new recoil spring.
Yeah I suppose so, the Sig 938 just felt overall smoother though, different animal though I know. I'll probably end up with the M&P9c in the end... Hell I'm happy 90% of the time with my Sigma (SW9V) with massaged trigger, the 4" barrel and full-size grip get to be a bit much IWB sometimes though

Love my PM9. Shoots +P softer than most other pocket-sized 9s handle WWB ammo.

I've been absolutley satisfied with mine.

Is it worth the extra cash? I think so:

You can get it in all-black, which doesn't rust.

Don't know what velocity the polygonal rifling is worth, but I can tell you Winchester PDX1 124gr +P clocks 1215fps, which is an honest to goodness 400 ft-lb of energy. Awesome.

The sights are dovetailed front/rear, which means more sight options, and is easy to replace yourself with a brass punch.

I'd buy mine again in a heartbeat.

I have a CM9. The gun has functioned well. Any failures I have experienced have been failures with loading the magazine. The slide serrations on the CM9 are hardcore. My hands were sore after handling the gun one afternoon. This was due to me using the serrations over the slide release. The slide release is extremely tight on mine. The trigger is smooth but incredibly long but I have no complaints considering its a concealed carry firearm.

Might take a look at the CW9. I think it might have a slightly larger frame but still easily concealable. About 425 to 450.

After shooting both I would go with the PM9. Not sure why it felt better but it did.

I have the PM9 and the SW M&P9c. With about 400 rnds through the PM9 it is much better than it feels when new. At this point I would carry the PM9 in the summer and the M&P 9c most of the rest. Frankly round count and the feel of the trigger on the 9c tips me in that direction.

Between the two Kahrs I would recommend the PM9

my PM9 has been utterly reliable. i have no experience with the CM9. i think the main differences are the rifling and the PM9 has forged parts while the CM9 has MIM parts.

I've had my CM9 for 9 months and have about 250-300 rounds through it and have no problems with it. I was surprised at how comfortable it was to shoot given it's small size.

I have shot the CM and own the PM. Frankly, while I cant prove it, I believe its more accurate and I have never had an issue with the PM to feed or fire. Nice pistol in its catagory and it gets carried.

That being said both my wife and I prefer the S&W MP9c. She is faster to target and better shot placement and it just seems a bit more accurate for me. I would also carry the Shield.