• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Kaluban Cloak holsters

christian77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Kaluban Cloak holsters

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">***UPDATED REVIEW***</span></span></span>

Alright boys and girls...

These two holsters were both made for a Glock 19 w/ SF X300 attached with a SF DG11 switch. Holsters are manufactured by Raven Concealment and Kaluban Cloak holsters

On with the pics already...

Front view:
Raven Concealment on LEFT/Kaluben Cloak on RIGHT
IMG_2596.jpg

While similar, you can see some of the differences in the cut of the kydex between the two as well as the more "coyote'ish" color of the Kaluben Cloak holster on the right. If you look at the inside of Kaluben holster, you can see a bit more detail was pressed into the kydex as well (note the extended slide lock molded into the plastic). You can also see that the Kaluben holster can accept a Glock17 fullsize pistol despite being made for the Glock 19, I find this a plus for a couple reasons...
1. I can run either a G19 or 17, etc
2. I have no problem running an extended threaded barrel (this was not an option when I ordered my Raven holster).

Rear View:
Raven Concealment on LEFT/Kaluben Cloak on RIGHT
IMG_2597.jpg

Again you an see that the cuts of the kydex are a bit different (both are made for a 10' cant). You can see more detail into the molded plastic of the Kaluben again, and I find that the retention is considerably better (a must for a work gun hoslter)
*Kaluben seems to retain the gun much better than the RC
*Kaluben retains the gun with AND WITHOUT the tac-light mounted

Inside Holster View:
Raven Concealment on BOTTOM/Kaluben Cloak on TOP
IMG_2609.jpg

You can see in this picture the landslide difference in kydex thickness used by the manufacturers. It goes without saying that the Kaluben holster is more rigid.

Bottom View of Holsters:
Kaluben Cloak on LEFT/Raven Concealment on RIGHT
IMG_2607.jpg

Both manufacturers are open-bottom made. Another good view of holster thickness.

View of Holsters 2" Mounting Loops:
Kaluben Cloak on LEFT/Raven Concealment on RIGHT
IMG_2608.jpg

If you look at the mounting placement of the loops, you can tell the Kaluben sits lower than Raven C. Matter of preference IMO, I prefer lower to clear my body armor better, but different needs have different requirements.

Kaluben Cloak 2" beltloop (might actually be a 1.75, forgot wtf I ordered?):
IMG_2603.jpg

The loops are considerably thicker than the Raven C's mounts...honestly, they are pretty tough, and I like how the nuts are on the inside vs. being exposed on the outside...not sure if it makes a difference at all, but I haven't lost a screw for the Kaluben yet and I had one screw back out and go MIA on me on my Raven C hoslter.

Raven C 2" beltloop:
IMG_2604.jpg

I've heard of issues of people having some broken beltloops, but can't say I have and never seen or know anyone it happened to. Honestly...I think these loops are pretty good for unscrewing and weaving through 2 rows of pals webbing if you plan on attaching it to a molle belt or something. I have no complaints other than I wish they use a better nut like the Kauban does.

Bottom line...

RC makes a great product....Kaluben Cloak makes a better product IMO that is cheeper and faster to deliver (at least for now).

I have had great dealings with Jay and the folks over at Raven Concealment...they are good folks over there and put out a good product, I pull no punches though when it comes to a product that better suits my needs for my real-world use.

Re: Kaluban Cloak holsters

Pretty intriguing for sure. I need a holster for my 17. I might have to give one of these a try.

Thanks for the tip DK. I will be doing some more research before I make a final decision but you have definitely gave me another viable alternative.

Never tried a Raven, but it seems that they got awfully popular when the dynamic duo from MagPul said they used them.

Thanks for the link CamW. I am happy to see that this product is well made. Saw the excellent customer service these guys had on the forum as well. They modified an entire holster just to fit one guy properly because of his body frame... I am amazed.

I am very impressed by the fact that they provide SUCH a comprehensive list of other manufacturers. Talk about confident! That's a great list and a great statement that they make.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Double-edged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am very impressed by the fact that they provide SUCH a comprehensive list of other manufacturers. Talk about confident! That's a great list and a great statement that they make. </div></div>

Thats for sure! After reading that and some reviews of them on other forums, I ordered one up to try out.

How are you guys contacting/ordering from them, just email? I've gotten one answer so far saying their lead time is about 10 days, but it takes awhile to hear back from them. Anybody have a phone number?

When I ordered, I just emailed. I heard back within like an hour or two. We emailed back and forth a couple times that night and then I ordered it, and that was it.

I got mine in the mail today. I am very happy with it so far. Fit and finish seems to be top notch. Fits the gun very well, and carries nicely so far. I have never used Raven Concealment so I cannot comment there. I have been carrying with a Comp-Tac for a few years now, and this holster has a few features I like better so far.

Lots of good info in thas LF thread. I will go and see them tomorrow, wondering if they have M4 mags in stock.

Got mine today, One week is all it took. I just canceled my latest Raven that has been on order for 9 weeks, I had at least 4 more weeks to go.

Excellent holster, quality is just as good if not better than my Raven. I'll know more after I have some range time with it.

I really like my NTAC holster, but after reading the comments and seeing the pictures, I will have to try one of these. Has anybody tried the mag holders, I need some of those too. I carry a M&P 9mm with a TLR1s.

Hey DK... Is it posible to move the mounting loops down the holes like in the RC to get a more high ride for CC??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m54dmb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how many $$$ for the raven holster</div></div>

Depends what one you want. Look at their store website at http://www.themalabarfront.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Migrane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey DK... Is it posible to move the mounting loops down the holes like in the RC to get a more high ride for CC??</div></div>

Depending on the model you get. On mine only the top to screw holes are large enough to accommodate the mounting hardware. If you have in the pants loops you can use them as regular belt loops, and they only use one screw hole, so you could move the in the pants hooks/ loops down one hole.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Migrane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey DK... Is it posible to move the mounting loops down the holes like in the RC to get a more high ride for CC??</div></div>

Depending on the model you get. On mine only the top to screw holes are large enough to accommodate the mounting hardware. If you have in the pants loops you can use them as regular belt loops, and they only use one screw hole, so you could move the in the pants hooks/ loops down one hole. </div></div>

I want a "Straight Drop" with Belt loops. The penultimate picture of this link.
http://calsentllc.com/KalubanCloak.html#
I only saw the belt loop option and have no idea how the other mounting systems work; didn't find a single picture on their website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Migrane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only saw the belt loop option and have no idea how the other mounting systems work; didn't find a single picture on their website.</div></div>These are the mounting options available that I see listed on their site, I only use the beltloop mounting type, so I can't comment on C hooks, J hooks, etc....and I don't really feel like explaining what they are or look like since I don't use them.
29338373.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Migrane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want a "Straight Drop" with Belt loops.</div></div> I ordered a straight drop for another gun but don't have it yet and won't have the opportunity to tinker with it for a while. By the looks of it though, it would appear that you can move the loops up and down the rivets to adjust the holsters height.

Unless you have a question about the model that I currently have....Eugene @ Kaluben Cloak is the POC regarding their CS.

That's exactly what I saw on the website, I know what the other options are and how they work with the clothes my doubt was about moving tham in the holsters.
Anyway I already emailed them and aparently they are gonna send me some pics. If I get them I'll post them here.
Thank you for your review and all your help.

That kydex looks good...but what are a few details on that 1911? Nice piece. Is that Ed Brown?

Finally!! After more than 2 months waiting I received my order.
Two holsters, one for my full size Glock with flashlight and the other for my every day compact, plus some mag holders.
They all look very rugged, stay close to the body and the retention is better than Raven Concealment.
The only bad things are the waiting period and the problem they are currently having with the belt loops (they couldn't provide the sizes I originally ordered).

Yeah, I've been waiting for a coon's age, too. Raven effect, I guess.

Dang I got all excited to go and order after reading this then went to the site and they suspended their orders until next month. Dang.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Migrane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
They all look very rugged, stay close to the body and the retention is better than Raven Concealment.
The only bad things are the waiting period and the problem they are currently having with the belt loops (they couldn't provide the sizes I originally ordered).</div></div>

When you say the retention is <span style="font-weight: bold">better</span>, what does that mean?

Stiffer/more positive, softer and easier to draw, quieter entering and leaving the holster, etc. ?

Any idea when there gonna offer them again? I was going to order one very shortly since the GF said shes getting me a SF X300 for a present.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you say the retention is <span style="font-weight: bold">better</span>, what does that mean?

Stiffer/more positive, softer and easier to draw, quieter entering and leaving the holster, etc. ?</div></div>Hey Jim, the retention is a lot stiffer and I feel a more positive lock when holstering...which is much better IMO....HOWEVER, I have one KC holster that is a trainwreck in the retention department...it is so tight that drawing my pistol will send the crotch of my pants straight up my ass without even being able to break the holster!
mad.gif

It needs to go back to Eugene for some TLC, because a blow-dryer and hot water wouldn't cure it's stubbornness unfortunately. I'm still happy though with KC holsters...I have five of them now and only that one that is a PITA.

Here are some pics of it...I shot a pistol/carbine course and couldn't holster the damn gun all the way because I'd never be able to skin it for a transition
frown.gif

img0082mq.jpg
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I've been waiting for a coon's age, too. Raven effect, I guess.</div></div> That sucks their lead times went to shit...it was a good run while it lasted. Stupid kydex holster orders feel more and more like waiting for a Form 4 to clear
smirk.gif

Thanks for clearing that up Doorkicker.

It looks like you have an older RCS with the thinner kydex. I received one of the newer ones (about a month or two ago) and I'm very impressed with it. The belt loops are a big step up over the older ones, and the material is much thicker (.08" now, IIRC).

The retention on my RCS is very positive, but is easy to draw. I think the thickness of the kydex impacts the retention.

That said, my RCS isn't for a WML, so I'm not sure if the WML holsters are stiffer or softer to pull from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Migrane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The only bad things are the waiting period and the problem they are currently having with the belt loops (they couldn't provide the sizes I originally ordered).</div></div>

When you say the retention is <span style="font-weight: bold">better</span>, what does that mean?

Stiffer/more positive, softer and easier to draw, quieter entering and leaving the holster, etc. ? </div></div>

Like Doorkicker told you, mine is stiffer and with a much more positive lock than the RC, wich is what I was looking for. And although it's not ideal, it also holds the pistol pretty well without the flashlight.
I have no idea about the new ones from RC with thicker kydex, so I can't compare. Sorry.

I sent them a email and their in the process of obtaining a mold for the sig GSR railed pistols so Im pretty excited about that. thought id share,

I ordered one for an M&P w/ TLR1 a couple days ago. I've been wanting to try one for awhile. The website said they were only taking 100 orders at a time; lead time is two weeks.

I used to be local to Raven concealment, able to literally walk in Jay's front door, hand him my pistol and drink a beer with him while he built it. Needless to say I have a bunch of Raven holsters, never had a problem with any of them, and I have some pretty off the wall stuff (like my STI Grandmaster 38 Super holster with relief for IPSC Open winged sight mount and Aimpoint) and they've also done a bunch of oddball knife sheathes for me because I really dson't like a leather sheath for hard use stuff. But I will have to check out Kaluben Cloak's stuff. Looks better made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you say the retention is <span style="font-weight: bold">better</span>, what does that mean?

Stiffer/more positive, softer and easier to draw, quieter entering and leaving the holster, etc. ?</div></div>Hey Jim, the retention is a lot stiffer and I feel a more positive lock when holstering...which is much better IMO....HOWEVER, I have one KC holster that is a trainwreck in the retention department...it is so tight that drawing my pistol will send the crotch of my pants straight up my ass without even being able to break the holster!
mad.gif

It needs to go back to Eugene for some TLC, because a blow-dryer and hot water wouldn't cure it's stubbornness unfortunately. I'm still happy though with KC holsters...I have five of them now and only that one that is a PITA.

Here are some pics of it...I shot a pistol/carbine course and couldn't holster the damn gun all the way because I'd never be able to skin it for a transition
frown.gif

img0082mq.jpg
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I've been waiting for a coon's age, too. Raven effect, I guess.</div></div> That sucks their lead times went to shit...it was a good run while it lasted. Stupid kydex holster orders feel more and more like waiting for a Form 4 to clear
smirk.gif
</div></div>

If you have acccess to a heat gun.... it will make quick work of kydex being pliable. Give that a shot but if you hold it on for to long its going to melt that stuff.

Kinda annoyed right now, I order a couple back in February and still haven't seen them yet. Sent a few emails but no response yet. They haven't charged my credit card yet, but so much for the 14 days to fill an order. At this point I am in no hurry, so I'll wait. Thank goodness for the Box-O-Holsters in the closet.

Why does that not suprise me . . . its been 11 weeks since I placed my order with them, and not a word other than an email on 04/05/2011 to tell me they would bill my credit card when they shipped my order. They haven't responded to any of email requesting information, and I feel that I have been more than patient waiting 11 weeks with no word, especially since they said they were backing off orders to be able to handle the current orders in house. Heck that was posted to their website in late February when I placed the order, and they have since re-opened for orders and closed orders again. Of course they also posted a 14 day turn around time, with a slight delay for multiple holster orders. Well its been 55 business days since I placed my order, and I just cancelled it. Don't care how good they are, with a customer service attitude like there's, they won't last long.

I just got mine today for my Glock 22. It arrived in just over a week from the time I ordered it. Im sure that it being a common item had a lot to do with the speed of delivery.

When I first put it on and tried to draw I thought I would rip my belt off before the gun came free. After a "blow job" from the hair drier its cherry not to tight and still has good retention.

I have a shoot this weekend and I think it will work much better than the Blade Tech ultimate concealment IWB that I have been using. I like the Blade Tech for every day carry but it kinda sucks for competition use.