• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sgt Wardell

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2010
Tennessee
i posted this in 1000 and beyond for the shooting. but how is the hunting in kansas im about to move to kansas fort riley just wondering about the hunting there and ranges if anyone knows id appreciate it thanks!

Re: kansas

There is a lot of big whitetails North of Junction City. I used to drive to the Apache/Tank range everyday for over a year, and on my morning commutes I would very see some real nice whitetail bucks. I also saw elk grazing on the Apache/tank range.

I work that areaalot surveying. If your talking whitetail then it's just amazing. I left La the first time to go up there and it was right at the first of the rut. I have many pics of awesome deer that we would just see everywhere. I am still in the area after a year or so. I'm in the KCMO area right now trying to finish up this little project and the deer are coming out there too not very far out of town. I love it up there. Good luck

Aw<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I work that areaalot surveying. If your talking whitetail then it's just amazing. I left La the first time to go up there and it was right at the first of the rut. I have many pics of awesome deer that we would just see everywhere. I am still in the area after a year or so. I'm in the KCMO area right now trying to finish up this little project and the deer are coming out there too not very far out of town. I love it up there. Good luck</div></div>

AWESOME! Thanks.

I live in NE Kansas, 1.5 hours from Ft. Riley. Kansas holds whitetail and mule deer, although the mule deer are mostly to the west. Elk and antelope are also here, but not my neck of the woods. If it's birds you're after, there is some fantastic pheasant ground. Turkey, of varying species, are all over the state. Quail and prairie chicken are also around, but can be a bit tougher to locate, at least where I hunt.

little low down on the hoe down!! Kansas, well we got great dear hunting across the state, just ask around and u should be able to find a place to hunt them. (not leasted out like texican) Pheasant and quail hunting is good to great look towards the Hugoton area for great pheasant hunts hell call i'll hook u up! Hunted lots of turkeys around the manhattan/topeka area. Lots to do and hunting is good. throw in pd's and coyotes and we have a pretty good time!!

Just ask around and you should find a place to hunt? Not in SW KS. You better get your checkbook out unless you are hooked up.

Nothing to see in Kansas, move along.
wink.gif

Plenty of deer, out west your shots can be as long as you want. If you were talking about shooting ranges/clubs, I'd suggest hitting up VJJpunisher because he's out of Ft Riley and would be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not in SW KS. You better get your checkbook out unless you are hooked up.
</div></div>
This is true.

I agree with what Gunner and GMZ71 say. I grew up in Dodge City and it helps a lot to know people that own great hunting ground or a big checkbook. That said, KS does have some excellent hunting land leased by the state that I used with great success when I went to college in Emporia.

Darin Reiss
Black Hills Armory
Haysville, KS

awsome thanks im thinking about getting a little bit of land. anyone know the laws as far as being away from roads for were u can hunt your own land also thanks for the massive response.

What's wrong with SW KS?? My in-laws farm just a little over 9000 acres there. I hunt there every year and the farmers beg people to shoot deer.

I have close friend that lives and farms in Syracuse. He has a horrible Muley, Antelope and White Tail problem. You wouldn't believe how much they mow down.

I never leave with an empty truck bed. Cost to me and my friends-Fuel and licenses. I've never run into a farmer yet that won't let you hunt their land, unless they have cattle on it.

In you are not able to travel to much the hunting on post at Leavenworth down along the river. If you take the time to do some scouting and get off the path you will do well. I bow hunted it while my wife was there for school and saw some decent bucks.

Good Luck

Down by the river in Leavenworth has a lot of Turkey if you go in far enough. I found some deer in between the hunt club and the cemetery. Also the geese are nice!