• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s KB Thread- Pics and Stories of the dreaded KB

hermosabeach

Invite new Gun owners to the range in 2021
Minuteman
The more you shoot, the more you seem to be around KBs and others who have also had KB's.

Lets share some educational war stories....

So In day 3 of a class running an AK, I get a failure to fire... so I run the bolt and realize that as I am pulling it to the rear, it was not all the way closed to start. But I had already done the gross motor skill and pulled the bolt to the rear and released the charging handle before this unconscious though revealed itself.

I looked before shooting and the bolt handle was still back a bit... I stopped and waited out the drill.

I had been using PMC Brass ammo and a bullet got stuck in the Lands of the barrel.... I used a cleaning rod to remove the projectile and was bac in business....

So please, add to the thread, post up pictures or stories...

ftd-boom.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleBull
Unrelated to the picture below, but a friend blew up 2 guns... one was an AR15 that had a catastrophic failure of the bolt. Everything was contained in the upper.... lower had minimal damage but the bolt lugs were in the barrel extension.... He was shooting Malaysian surplus ammo. no clicks, no squibs, just a mid magazine KB.

Same guy was shooting surplus from a PKM and had a misfire.... Trained to run the bolt for stoppages, he had an open bolt detonation from a hangfire.... When powder gets wet, it can clump and hand fires are a real problem. If he would have waited 15-60 seconds, the bullet would have fired while in a locked chamber... The bullet would have either exited the barrel or got stuck in the barrel.

The round exploded with the action open and destroyed the receiver.... Holly Shyte- even a dealer sample PKM is expensive....

---

762d15.jpg

From what appears to be a faulty German military surpluscartridge, this rifle disintegrated!

Last edited:
My cousin was shooting a 100 year old 12 gauge English Shotgun... he loaded 2 and only 1 fired.... When he opened the action, there was only 1 shell visible... This is called a clue... he was puzzled as he shoots trap/ skeet/ 5 stand 3 days a week and normally does not drop a shell....

He loaded 2 more and had a KB.... it looks like he had loaded on YELLOW 30 gauge shell and 1 12 gauge shell...... The 20 gauge- YELLOW- dropped into the forcing cone.... that is why he did not see it... when the next round fired, the 20 gauge shell acted as a plug and the shotgun blew apart...

Off to the ER, then treatments for skin grafts.... for 1 year.... his hand was messed up

there is a reason why all 20 gauge shells are YELLOW

https://www.pinterest.com/scouterdave568/catastrophic-gun-failures/

Reactions: Bender and Frankly
Thankfully I have not had any KB's. I was at the range one day and witnessed and almost KB. An older gentleman was shooting a 1911. He shot several rounds, then there was a noticeably louder report. The magazine blew out the bottom of the frame and he started shaking his hand which was stinging quite badly. He was shooting his 'special hand loads' and they were a bit 'hot'. Uh yeah, just a bit.

Reactions: Bender
For most cartridges I don't understand the need to load hot. If you want your 308 to be a 300WM then buy a 300WM. There are definitely a couple cartridges that are loaded "weak" this normally has to do with older guns being in circulation and needing to be safe.

My fault totally... Before my digital scale I had a balance beam scale. Been awhile since I used it and got the units ass backwards.... Ended up double max loading 45acp in a Glock 21...... The first round was very stout....the second one blew the mag apart, the left side of the grip, bulged the barrel and slide.... The pistol ended up about 10feet in front of the bench. Aside from black finger tips and a superficial nick on my cheek from a piece of the plastic frame....nothing serious. It took a few days to stop shaking...

Reactions: hermosabeach
I dont have pictures anymore, but here is the story. A buddy and I were converting SA XD 45 compacts to 460 rowland. He had his, i was waiting for my barrel to get here. I loaded some ammo up, and we went to test it. Everything was going great. Last mag, with the highest charge. first 2 or 3 go off no problem, velocity looks good, pull the trigger and BOOM! I throw the thing to the ground, my buddy is all "WTF". My trigger and middle finger were numb. Pick up the weapon and it blew the barrel lug off locking it in the slide. We had to use a sledge hammer to knock it all free.

Loading hot rounds on purpose.. anything over the manual max... is dumb...

I was loading 4.3 grains of maybe 700X.... I went to 4 grains... then added 3 more grains... not .3 so I was charging at 7 grains...

After about 100 rounds I realized my error... I had to buy a kinetic bullet puller..... The beam scales work... if I work....

One of the dumbest things I witnessed at a range was a guy with a couple of old surplus bolt rifles beating the bolt open on one and beating the case out with a rod each firing. I asked him WTF. He said he was using a new powder and he needed to work his load down a little more. I mentioned that what he needed to do was stop. He informed me that these old military actions were built to withstand a lot more punishment than modern commercial actions. I left.

My very first time reloading was with a .38 special, I was scared to death of a double charge, so much so I went the other way and had three or four that I put together with no powder in them, I only realized this one the primer barely pushed the bullet into the forcing cone. I had to pull apart the full box of 50, found the empties but at least none of them were double charged LOL.

I had a S&W 15-22. - AR-ish clone in 22 LR. Had one go off out of battery mid-mag and spray my face with shell casing bits. Blew most of the pieces out of the bolt onto the bench. Nothing too serious as my glasses intercepted the pieces headed for my eyes. Sent it in to S&W and they fixed it but couldn't give me an explanation of what happened either. Was not near as serious as the stuff pictured and discussed above, but the only one I have ever personally had.

When I was a kid there was a public range on the edge of town. We used to stop by when we were close by to look for and pick up brass. Dad was LEO. Pulled up one summer evening and the son of one of my dad's LEO buddies was shooting at the bench. We see him beating the action open and chambering another one in his bolt action hunting rifle. Before my dad can say anything to him he touches another one off. Sets his rifle down and comes over to the car. My dad asks him what he is doing and he replies "Sighting in my rifle, but it feels like somebody is throwing gravel at my face." Dad starts quizzing him and he is shooting 243 handloads well over max. When he goes back to his rifle to open chamber it is welded shut. Knowing what we saw as we pulled up, dad asks him if it was just that last one or? He replies - no they have all been that way. He had shot 4 or 5 loaded the same way. I always thought it was nothing short of a miracle that it didn't grenade. A set of obvious clues missed and pushed through....

Remington 700 30-06 bedded in a boyds stock. My very first time shooting over a chronograph. I'd read horror stories of people shooting the chrony and I was nervous. The chrony belonged to my shooting buddy who told me he'd take care of it. He set it up using a laser bore sighter to make sure it was perfectly aligned. I thought he took the bore sighter out. He thought I took it out. A 178gr Hornady Amax took it out...

I figured go big or go home. Sent the action to my smith to be blueprinted and have a new shilen barrel put on, this time in 308. New stock, Jewell BR trigger, new base, new scope... Makes a pretty decent prairie dog rifle at 600 yds when the wind is strong.
11391339_10153976292958289_4115123952609605410_n.jpg
10320536_10152855380193289_4116404572453904167_n.jpg

I've got 2 to share.

1. Mine was a Glock G22. I was shooting hand loads from a Dillon press. I have no idea what happened without blaming it on rounds. It blew the mag out breaking the mag catch. Broke the Slide stop lever. No injuries other than slight marks on my hands. I am ways careful when loading and with the Dillon, I'm clueless how a round could have been over charged. The brass was still in the chamber. The primer was blown out and split by the rim and about the middle.

2. Me and some buddies were getting ready for deer season. One guy was getting his Savage smokeless muzzleloader out. Loaded, tried to fire and nothing. Two or three tries and nothing. He pulled the nipple and put a touch of powder in. BOOM!!! It just about knocked him off the bench. Idiot hadn't unloaded it from the year before. The good news was the gun held. Other than a bruised shoulder, no injuries.

I got rid of my G22 because it would belly cases more than I liked for reloading. Gen3. I figured if the case was fired multiply times clocked the same way, it was bound to weaken that spot.

So last November, Thanksgiving week. Headed from MN to MT Elk hunting with 2 good buddies. On the drive out we are discussing any and all things shooting/Hunting. On the topic of the guns and ammo we are bringing my buddy mentions his 280 Rem and how it was shooting the Federal Fusion ammo, myself my 7mm Rem Mag and the handloads pushing Hornady Amaxs.
Fast forward 5 days to Thanksgiving day, leaving the truck an hour or so before light, I decide I'm gonna grab one more handload from the back seat to fill the triad stock pack. On the back seat next to my OPEN topped box of handloads is a long action red tipped bullet. In the stock pack with 3 other rounds that are loose not in loops. A couple miles on foot later after several minutes of hand signals through binoculars to each other from across the valley we meet up to put the sneak on a herd of 20 elk I found over the next ridge. Upon cresting the top the elk have moved into a strip of timber that works uphill from the public land onto some private property. DANG. Then off to the right, here comes two spike bulls. Us flatlanders were planning to shoot anything we have the chance, so game on! We have to hustle to get to a position to shoot while the elk are crossing the last little 100 yd clearing prior to the pines that lead to private land. As we move we notice a 3rd bull, 5x5. My buddy has killed several, bow and rifle, myself only a cow 2 yrs prior on only other elk hunt, so he says if we make it you shoot. DEAL. We get into some rocks to shoot from just as the spikes get into the pines, so I range the spot where they hit the clearing at 485yds. I grab one of the loose rounds from the stock pack and feed it into the chamber. 5 seconds later out steps the 5 pt, we give him a few steps to be totally clear and my bud hits a cow call. He stops. I'm totally solid on the rocks, it's 40 deg, light wind directly in my face. I hold 1.8 mil(if memory serves). And touch it off. BOOM. Oh crap I got scoped, buddy says "didn't see that one". I wipe my cheek and have blood on my hand. Screw it, run the bolt as the bull is just standing there. As I see the case land in The snow I realize I'm tasting gun powder and my eyes are burning. CRAP a handload just blew up on me! I look at the rifle and the bottom metal is unlatched with the 3 rounds laying under the rifle. Pull the bolt out quick, barrel is clear. Another quick visual and the Sendero in a McMillan Game Warden looks totally fine. This all over about 5 seconds from the initial shot. The bull is still standing there....

Grab another round.

In the chamber it goes, I settle in, my buddy I think is wondering WTF.... View through the AMG is good, I break another one off. BOOM...

THUMP, he goes down, tries to get up, BOOM... THUMP. He's down.

Turn and tell my buddy the handload was bad on the first shot as I grab the first brass from the snow. I take a look at it...

"Yeah dude that was your round. 280 REM." I told him... Turns out that morning he was looking for a round that fell out of his pocket. Never found it apparently and he told the other two guys with I'd but I didn't hear it. I assumed he was shooting Federal Fusion from the conversation earlier on the drive out, so seeing the red tipped bullet I grabbed it without thinking twice.

And that's the only time in my life I have failed to be ANAL about the right ammo going in the right gun.

Case ruptured, I had shrapnel in my cheek, burning eyes, but ok otherwise. And my first Bull was down on Thanksgiving morning.

The Good Lord was definitely watching over me that morning!

Reactions: ryguy00
Slash 0311- your tale of the Glock KB- I have heard and seen picks of Glocks that spit the mag out of the magwell.... For those who buy aftermarket parts- Like the Aluminum Mag release... I wonder if it can blow the mag out or does the grip become a grenade?

1521861811118.png

1. Mine was a Glock G22. I was shooting hand loads from a Dillon press. I have no idea what happened without blaming it on rounds. It blew the mag out breaking the mag catch. Broke the Slide stop lever. No injuries other than slight marks on my hands. I am ways careful when loading and with the Dillon, I'm clueless how a round could have been over charged. The brass was still in the chamber. The primer was blown out and split by the rim and about the middle.

Reactions: Slash0311
two other tales.... night shooting... loading up mags on a break in the dark... I ended up feeding a 7.62x39 into an AR10 magazine... by feel... I realized I had a problem..... (yup- they kept it dark for that class)

I also ran a belt of .308 through a 1919 after being told it was a 308 gun.... I looked down after the 5th stoppage... and saw what looked like 45/70 brass.....

The 308 fired in the 30-06 chamber... no issues... no danger as the barrel is insanely strong... just blew the shoulder out almost to the end of the case... not a KB, but definitely dumb....

I had a close call when i loaded a squib and fired it in my glock. Fired the squib, tried to fire next round. Obviously the squib didnt Cycle. Rapidly pull the slide back and Cycle next round. Finger on trigger and start to squeeze. About this time my brain catches up to my body and i figured something isnt right. I released the trigger cleared the weapon and found a bullet stuck in the bore. I relized i was a half a second away from ruining my day...

After that i relize factory ammo is cheap. I still reload precision ammo but anything bulk i prefer to buy from a reputable manufacturer.

What killed Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son: On a movie set someone was saving money by not having an official firearms examiner on scene. First someone had shot a squib load with that pistol, might have been a different day. Unknowingly someone left the bullet in the barrel.

Then on the movie set, a blank cartridge was inserted into the gun, for effects. The blank cartridge sent the earlier bullet downrange, and killed Brendon Lee.