• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Keep or Sell New Leupold-Update-Keeping the Leupy

Jbak

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2011
SW Missouri
I am getting a new Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 LR/T M1 as a gift.
I've never owned a Leupold and my Howa currently has a Wally World CenterPoint that I took off my Ruger 10/22, so this will be a huge upgrade.

I have never shot long range and have been doing a lot of scouring the Hide and other sites reading reviews and opinions about glass. I had been looking at the Vortex Viper PST because of positive reviews, and the FFP MIL/MIL features.

The Leupold is SFP and MOA/MIL. Not quite what I was looking for, but its a system that has been used extensively and I am sure I'll be able to learn it just fine...

So my options as I see it are:

1. Keep the Leupold and be thankful
or
2. Sell the Leupold (I can't return or exchange it) and buy a Vortex Viper

If I go with option 2. How much will I be able to get for the Leupold realistically. (In no way is this intended as a solicitation, as I can already see someone posting that I don't have the appropriate number of posts to sell on The Hide.)

I realize that ultimately the decision is mine to make, but I welcome the opinions of those that have more experience than myself.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: !!!!UPDATE!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thanks for everyone's input, I have made up my mind to keep the Leupold, it is getting mounted this coming Friday</div></div>

Re: Keep or Sell New Leupold

First thing is ask yourself what kind of shooting are you going to be doing,or training to do ? A step up from a Wally World CP to anything is major,let alone a Loopy MKIV.BNIB or not,it will still be a USED scope and the $$$$ you get will reflect that.At the risk of being flamed,I will state the fact,a FFP is not for everyone,some love it,some hate it.I personally would just mount it and roll with it,get some experience,then make your decision.

+1

I would shoot it. Nothing wrong with that Leupold. Matching turrets and reticles are nice, but not crucial.

If you decide to sell it... I would personally look at the new 5-20 SS coming out soon. The PST is less money, but also less of scope. But the Loopy is a big step forward from where you are as well...

Sounds like a nice gift to me.

While I have been converted to FFP, there is ZERO wrong with a SFP scope.

You may be able to have a MOA reticle installed (don't know if they have one) or have mrad turrets installed.

Valid point, I wouldn't want to offend a person that give out nice scopes as gifts.

I have a Leupold scope with Mil reticle and MOA turrets...does anyone for a fact know if Leupold can convert to a MOA reticle or Mil turrets on an M3 LR/T? (Sorry for the slight thread-hijack!)

That might be an option for you if they can. Have Leupy set it up the way you want/need.

My Mark 4 10x40 M3 LR/T was a gift. I feel bad that I'm even taking it off my rifle let alone sell it. I really like it. It's a well made, clear rugged scope. The guy who gave it to me bought the one you're getting. I'm sure the person that is giving it to you will be happy to see you use it.

The magnitude of this gift is not lost on me, and the friend that is giving it to me told me to do what I wanted with it, including selling it if I wanted to. He knew that I was looking at the Vortex Viper PST. That being said, please remove emotion from the equation.

Is the glass on the Leupold that much superior to the PST?
If so, do the FFP MIL/MIL features make up for the quality of the glass?
Does the Leupold track better than the PST or vice versa.

As a new shooter will I be better served by a FFP MIL/MIL scope?

Again, all feedback is welcome.

You state that you have never shot long range. You really haven't stated what your intended use of the rifle/scope is that people would be able to give you any opinion on whether you need a FFP scope. Is this for casual range/plinking use, hunting, or competition? What kind of competition?

You'll find that there is a pretty big leap from building a competition gun, which you can do from the seat of your couch, to actually dragging yourself out of bed in the AM to drive 3+ hours to shoot some grueling long range matche in crappy weather where the best that you can hope to achieve is some small personal satisfaction that you shot better than you did the last time, assuming that you did shoot better than the last time.

Before you start burning money by taking a loss selling a new $1200 scope for perceived inadequacies why don't you shoot it and see how you like it?

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you have never shot a long range match don't get hung up on not having a scope perfectly spec'd to the standards of those who do, especially when the scope is more than adequate for long range shooting should you decide to get into the sport.

Just my 2 cents.

I received a very expensive Leupold as a gift some years ago myself. It still sits on top of my favorite hunting rifle. It's the best gift I've ever gotten. You cannot go wrong with a Leupold especially if you're mounting it on a Ruger 10/22. The optics will outperform your rifle.

My Leupold is a 4.5 x 24 x 50. Last year I went hunting with several buddies. One guy spotted a few deer 500 yards away. He had a Wal Mart scope and couldn't see if any of them was a buck. Meanwhile, I was relaxed looking at all seven deer admiring them like they were 20 yards in front of me. I could see the snot coming out of the bucks nose and even counted his tines. Guess who eventually got the shot? Since my two friends had no clear shot I got the buck on opening day and spent the rest of the hunt killing bottles.

Boresight the Leupold on your Ruger 10/22 and have a blast. Your friend will be excited to see you enjoy it so much.

keep it and later you may wish to upgrade to something else. you can mount it on an ar, or something else down the road..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldolds442</div><div class="ubbcode-body">keep it and later you may wish to upgrade to something else. you can mount it on an ar, or something else down the road..</div></div>

This is what I did. I just bought a nightforce 5.5-22X56, but I'm not getting ride of my Mark 4. It's a great tough scope and I really like it. I'm only getting the nightforce for the variable options on the glass. I'll need another scope again and then I won't need to spend $1600 to get it. Cause I'll already have it.

Sell it to me for sub 1000$ lol.

But for real, shoot the hell out of it. When you feel time to upgrade later in the next couple of years, upgrade and move the 4.5-14x50 to another rifle. Would love to have that on my .300 WBY mag.

Jbak-
A new shooter is best served by instruction and practise. Doesnt matter if its mil/mil or mil/moa. doesnt matter if its first or second focal plane.

Most of we 'need' first plane if we mil targets at other than max mag or shoot alot of moving targets on low power.

My hunter wears a second focal plane loopy and we do some excellent work at first and last light. My best running pig was with the var X-III at half power so 3mil equaled 6 mil and Shazam! I got my hit.

Around these parts we have a saying-
never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Learn to use the Loopy and be happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not sell it as that would be rude. </div></div>
Ditto, use the new Leupy.

Thanks for all the feedback guys...after considering all my options, I am going to keep the Leupold. It is getting mounted this Friday.

I say keep it. A gift is a gift and free is free. Get yourself a nice set of rings, mount it up and enjoy. The glass is fairly nice in those and there is a ton of adjustment.

todd

There is nothing wrong what so ever about a Leupold MK4 as I have several of them. The best of all is that it is free. Nothing can beat that.

I like the m4 they are great scopes. I own 3 of them. If you sell it, I would consider the new 5-20 SSHD.

John