• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Keeping 3/8" .22 rings from slipping?

Furner

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Ok, so I have a Marlin 795 that I decided to start training on because I am pretty much broke, have a ton of .22lr, and a membership to a nice range.

I put a BSA Sweet 22 scope on the rifle, using I believe Millet rings.
The rifle has the 3/8" rail that a lot of .22 rifles have. I have put what I believe to be sufficient torque on the rings in regards to the screw that holds them to the rifle. And the rings slipped down the groove.
So I put what I thought would be excessive torque on the rings. And the rings still slip down the rail.

So what can I do here? I really cant afford to replace the rifle with something with a proper rail on it, and I hate re-adjusting the scope every 20 rounds. Kills my shooting enjoyment.

I was thinking of getting a 10/22 scope rail and having the local shop drill and tap my receiver to fit the rail. I am concerned that there is not much metal there to tap, and the screws would have to each be trimmed to fit because if they extend at all past their holes they will contact the bolt.
But it sounds like all the other options out there are either stop-gap, or hit-and-miss. Personally I would like to just get a 10/22, but the budget is tight right now.

Re: Keeping 3/8" .22 rings from slipping?

To do it right, a better set of rings with a wider clamping area and 2 clamping screws would be best.

If money is an issue and you are stuck with what you have, you need to somehow increase the friction or clamping force on the rails by one or more of the following:

1. Make sure the clamp part is not "bottomed out" before fully clamping. (IE, make sure it will clamp down SMALLER then the grooves)

2. Check the angles where the clamping surfaces are and "optimize" it by careful filing. Also by doing this you will remove the hard anodizing and the softer bare aluminum will bite a little better and not be as slick.

3. Glue them in place with some epoxy.

HTH,
HB

I had the same problem with a 10/22 that had cheapo rings on it. Make sure that the rings don't have something caught in the clamping area or that they can actually clamp down tighter than the rail, which was mentioned above.

My 22 trainer is a Marlin 25N that I put the Millet Angle-Loc rings on and a Tasco mil-dot. The rings are about 15-20 bucks from Grafs and they're worth every penny IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same problem with a 10/22 that had cheapo rings on it. Make sure that the rings don't have something caught in the clamping area or that they can actually clamp down tighter than the rail, which was mentioned above.

My 22 trainer is a Marlin 25N that I put the Millet Angle-Loc rings on and a Tasco mil-dot. The rings are about 15-20 bucks from Grafs and they're worth every penny IMO. </div></div>

So those have a clamping screw on each side then?

I use Burris Quick Release Rimfire Rings on two 22 rifles with 3/8" grooves. They do not slip. You use the levers to crank them down and they are made of steel. I have also noticed that there is quite a lot of varience in 22 groove specs. I get them from midway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So those have a clamping screw on each side then? </div></div>

Yep, 1 allen key on each side of the mount for each ring, total 4 screws. It's great for being able to align the bore and the scope tube parallel so that there's no artificial windage changes from the 2 axis being skewed to each other.

Makes doping a long shot much easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So those have a clamping screw on each side then? </div></div>

Yep, 1 allen key on each side of the mount for each ring, total 4 screws. It's great for being able to align the bore and the scope tube parallel so that there's no artificial windage changes from the 2 axis being skewed to each other.

Makes doping a long shot much easier. </div></div>

Looks like a pain to install but would hold much better.

They installed pretty quickly for me actually. I did this to try evening up the scope a little before even firing a shot. Takes about 15 mins before you get to the range and maybe another half hour of careful shooting and adjusting at the range. If you have a bore sight then this is obviously much faster.

1) Screw the allen keys all the way down, note the position of the key handle and back them out from the base. Count the turns. You have a rough reference to a midpoint on each screw now.

2) Replace each screw to the rough midpoint by counting the turns while threading it back in place.

3) Install the bases on the rifle and evenly tighten the base on each side of the angle blocks.

4) Measure and shim your elevation when you drop the scope into the rings. I do this by measuring from the receiver to the tube with calipers since I don't have space for a bench and level in my little apartment.

5) Zero out the windage and run the elevation knobs towards the min setting, leave yourself about 3 MOA from the bottom for a 50y zero. This will get you dialed to under 15 yards if need be without a hold under.

6) Bring allen keys to the range and start at the 7 yard line on a pistol range to get the windage set, move to 25 yards, then 50 yards and finally 100 yards.

During the windage zero make sure you never adjust the knobs, just use coarse adjustments with the allen keys on the base screws.

If you're careful you can get within 1/4" or better at 100y with the screws.

Shim accordingly to get your 50y zero only 3MOA from the bottom, now you're set to probably 400 yards of come-ups if your scope has the travel to adjust that far.

I've tried the angle locs a couple of times and both times just took them off. For me it was just too much monkey business trying to get them straight. All I use for rings now are Warne, even on my centerfires.

teryx

I would try some nail polish or loc tite blue on the scope, rails, screws after tightening, etc. I also use more than two when I have a cheap set of rings or a troublesome set up .... have three rings on mu airgun; you can also use a little electricians' tape in rings that want to slip.
I like the clear nail polish that way a quick glance at the mounting area will tell you if it is moved at all and the little extra friction soes nelp.
dk

Beeman Air Rifles used to sell a stop that clamped onto the rails behind the last ring. It was for air rifles as their recoil is different from traditional firearms and can make the scope slide. I'm sure somebody still sells 'em.

Get another set of Millet rings. Leave the tops off (or not, if you think it looks better). Clamp them into the grooves one in front, one in back, directly contacting the other rings. If the rings are already against the bells, put the second set inboard of the first set.

If this does not work, drill and tap directly through the center of the bottom half of the rings and insert set screws.

If that fails, drill a slight indentation into the receiver for the tip of the set screw, and reinstall the set screw.

If that fails...

Geez. Here's a simple idea that I use on all my "heavies". You can use one or the other, matters not. Get either some rosin from Brownells or, easier yet: Indian Head Gasket Shelac from the local auto parts store. Paint some of that stuff on your clamps and/or rings, tighten her down and go to town. If those clamps continue to move, either your clamps are bottoming out against themselves before sufficiently clamping onto the rail, or you're not tourqing enough. Also, if you ever want to take that stuff off, just use carb cleaner. It WILL take it off. This stuff is gummy/tacky and always stays that way. Just wipe off the excess before you head out into the dust bowl.

European rails are 11mm and are a little smaller than US rails. Cold your rifles rail be 11mm's. If so You will have a hard time to get any US 22 ring to clamp down. Alot of people use Air Gun rings as the rails on most air guns are 11mm. Donald

I had slippage issues on several spring air rifles. Being an electronics geek, I had some solder wick handy. This is a small flat braided copper substance. I cut a piece for one side of each base and tightened things down. Works perfect. You can get this stuff at Radio Shack.

For Don in SC, I think you may be mistaken. Euro bases are WIDER at 11mm (.433") than the American 3/8" (.375").

Anyhow, Furner, good luck on making the scope hang on.

Marc yep I think your correct. I remember that the Europians did not want US shooters to beable to use US sights on their rifles so they stayed with the larger rail. You had to buy their sights and parts which is were the real profit was at years ago. I had it backwards in my first post. Thanks, Donald

I got some Warne steel rings with reversible clamping pieces from Brownells. I put them on with some 1" bar stock and beat the butt of the rifle on the ground a few times and the rings had no movement at all. I think these will do.
EDIT: These rings are advertised to fit both 3/8 and 11mm via the reversible clamp.

But good call on the soldering wick. That is a really good idea!