• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Kel-tec 380 P3AT

Win70chris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2008
Dallas, TX
I was looking at getting a small carry pistol and looked at a Keltec P3AT. After doing some research I found many people were unhappy with reliability. It seems they like to jam and not eject shells. I was told after a break in period this was better but I am not sure I want to count on it if needed. Anyone have one who is happy? The damn thing only weighs 10oz loaded and has a pocket clip.

Re: Kel-tec 380 P3AT

I really like mine. Hold it firm and feed it good ammo.

It sounds like you read the NRA Rifleman article and heard people that parrot what they hear.

There are a few tests done on them that I read. It sounds like some are great and others are not. Thats why I figured asking guys who use them is not a bad idea. I have a G27 but it is not exactly a pocket pistol.

I love the way mine disappears, and I always have it on me. I haven't had any problems with it and CorBon ammo.

I believe the Ruger LCP, which I have,is a very close copy. I've put about 100 rds through it and never had a miscue, it is surprisingly accurate.

I would strongly suggest something ...umm...more? than a 380.

I recently got rid of a Beretta 85F for just such a reason.
You use a pistol to kill, a 380 will not kill a stray cat with a disease and a broken leg.

It's fine for beer cans and paper targets....but DO NOT use it for a primary or a secondary weapon.

the kel tec is fine, with good ammo it will kill anyone considering you will be shooting them 7 times in 2-3 seconds. I carry mine almost every day. Very nice because is comfortable. Hopefully you dont have to use it been if you do it is all you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thorax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would strongly suggest something ...umm...more? than a 380.

You use a pistol to kill, a 380 will not kill a stray cat with a disease and a broken leg.

It's fine for beer cans and paper targets....but DO NOT use it for a primary or a secondary weapon. </div></div>

A .380 in the pocket is better than a .45 in the safe.

I have personally seen humans with 8 rounds in the center mass RUN away.

I've also seen a 85 lb cougar/puma/mountain lion attack with 5 rounds center chest...thank god for big knives
smile.gif

It is NOT a round to bet your life on.

I have one that I carry as a pocket piece. It's small, light and thin. It carrys in a pocket holster fine and the weight isn't a factor. The 45 is in my bag. If you polish the feed ramp on the Kel-Tec it works just fine. Mine has never failed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thorax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have personally seen humans with 8 rounds in the center mass RUN away.

I've also seen a 85 lb cougar/puma/mountain lion attack with 5 rounds center chest...thank god for big knives
smile.gif

It is NOT a round to bet your life on. </div></div>

Maybe it'll keep the bad guys distracted until I get to the 45. I agree it isn't the perfect defense round. It's a last chance piece until I can get to something bigger.

Given the option I would rather have my Benelli but I cant get it in my pocket. I agree that any gun in my hand is better than one at home. Corbon makes some good .380 and if I get one thats what I will use.

When I worked for the ambulance service we were called out to get a guy that had a 22LR CCI Stinger put in his ear. He was DOA before we got there.

My most frequent carry is the P3AT. After trying several options, I found that guns requiring a substantial holster were often left in the safe. As noted above, if you're not going to carry a .45 with 6" barrel who cares about its stopping power and accuracy.

I have had zero FTF problems with mine on a range of ammo, including the cheapest reloaded stuff I could find. It's not a gun to "weak wrist", so that might account for other folks' reports of unreliability.

The 9mm kurtz is a weaker round, no doubt about it. The energy, even in defense loads, is about 200ft/lb vs. 9mm "long" which runs as high as twice that with certain loads at the same distance. 40S&W is another 50% again. That said, 200 ft-lbs isn't exactly a mosquito bite. The 9mm "short" (.380 ACP) has been deemed ample enough to be a standard european service round for a long time, and even a european military round at certain times.

my kel tec is not the gun I carry when I would be encountering a cougar or mountain lion. I would carry my sig 45 or something like that. My kel tec is an everyday carry type of gun. I carry it to the mall, church, out to dinner, those types of places. Very slim and easy to carry. I would agree that something bigger might put someone down quicker. If I could have my choice probably my 12ga, or 338 with someone standing at 100 yards.Ammo these days is very good and i feel completly confident in my little peice.

For what they are, they are great little last effort guns! I honestly believe that the biggest portion of the negative reviews and comments you see on them is caused by user error!

As mentioned you CANNOT limp wrist these little guns, and even when you think you aren't you probably are when you have a function issue! It's greatly magnified in these pistols!!

One thing to mention though, generally unless you like punishment, they are NOT that FUN to shoot! The little suckers bark & bite like big dogs!!
smile.gif
I run a couple mags through for training purposes when shooting, and that's about all I care to shoot it!

Check out the ktog forum, (keltec owners group) read through the stickies and follow the "fluff & buff" procedures and you should have very little issues with it. And if you do, they have a lifetime warranty and great (albeit sometimes slow) customer service to take care of you.

Tennis anyone?

The KelTec is not fun, agreed. One thing that helps a bit is to get the mag extension at least for the primary mag. This lets you get a third finger grip on it and that helps with muzzle flip.

I know I'm going to probably start a little debate here, however regarding Kahr: I owned one in 40 and tried another in 9 as a replacement and had FTF problems with both. Seems they had too tight tolerance on the feed ramp or chamber or something (not a gunsmith...) because both guns would not cycle all the way -- second round would chamber, but the slide would hang up, not close all the way.

I've stayed away from Kahr since. If you look at them, shoot the one you're thinking of buying first. I rarely got past the third round with my two particular examples.

Ive put over 700rds through mine & its been an absolute charm.
two guns ,same problem?... HHhhmmmmm'... Same problem people are having with their Kel-Tecs...I wonder'...I agree to try out the pistol before you buy it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thorax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would strongly suggest something ...umm...more? than a 380.

It's fine for beer cans and paper targets....but DO NOT use it for a primary or a secondary weapon. </div></div>

Why don't you swing by and try to close on me from 30ft, I'll even give you a knife........

Today's 380 defensive ammo technology has come a long way.
Is it the best choice for a primary carry weapon for someone that is going into harm's way deliberately? Oh hell no!
Is it the best choice for a guy in a tshirt and shorts running to the convenience store? Very well could be.
Is it going to do more to defend my life than the 1911 or Sig I left at home in the safe? Oh hell yes!

Don't limp wrist, polish the feed ramp (I pretty much do that on any pistol I own for more than a minute), and practice with what you plan on carrying.

To expand on what Victor said regarding caliber-I would like someone to research the calibers involved in non-LE GSW fatalities and report back what the top caliber is that people die in the US from......

Plus I'd bet on a guy with a P3AT that trains over a guy that just "owns" and carries a 357Sig or 45 acp!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive put over 700rds through mine & its been an absolute charm.
two guns ,same problem?... HHhhmmmmm'... Same problem people are having with their Kel-Tecs...I wonder'...I agree to try out the pistol before you buy it </div></div>

Yeah, very well could be!
smile.gif
Told you I thought my comments might start some trouble...

Some can be particular about ammo, all small guns of this nature need a breakin and ammo testing.
I carry mine as it easier to carry than the 12 ga. I'd rather have when trouble breaks out. When more clothes are appropriate, out comes the 45!
Course as most intelligent civilians, the best option is avoidance (if possible).

I went with the Ruger LCP myself for everyday discrete concealed carry. It is almost an exact clone of the Keltec, but appears that they did some fine tuning and polishing of rough edges so-to-say. I have put 150rounds through mine without a single issue and it is very accurate for such a short barreled pistol. I had a subcompact 45acp and found like many people do that it spent most of its time in the safe and not on my body do to its weight and lack of concealability. There are plenty of defensive loads that will serve you well in a last ditch, horrible situation. Despite what others say you don't need to leave the house with C4, a grenade, and a 50cal.

I second the 380...Way to many feel they have to carry a big macho gun, if that is your choice then do so, but don't try to push your garbage ideals onto others. The big guns are nice, and of-coarse they would be the obvious choice if I were at home, or just sitting around. But CC is much more than that, you have to be comfortable enough with the gun, holster, environment, way of dress and many other factors to carry every day. And carrying every day is what it is all about. It is hard enough to make that commitment on a full time basis, without the constant bereavement of others second guessing those that do choose to carry cancelled. When I was in the service, it was a no brainer, I had a issued weapon and carried it like 100K other soldiers, but the real world is a different environment. And the weapon you choose to carry has to be carefully chosen to blend in to your new environment with discretion, be comfortable enough to carry every day, has to work with the work environment, be secure and in a position for quick access and a fast draw. Trying to meet all these conditions is very hard, much harder than a service member that straps on a piece of battle hardware or a cop that has a duty belt and wears his weapon open.
The main concern should be that the guy at least tries to carry conceded, every day and has the stones to put up with all the inconveniences it takes to do so on a daily basis. Who cares what caliber he carries?? We all know that larger caliber hand guns are more lethal in qualified hands, but I also know that having a gun when I need one, regardless of it caliber, is much more convenient then having the right gun at home. Personally I would prefer to not get shoot at all, regardless of caliber. But if I had to face down an opponent, I would prefer a guy that doesn't shoot often with a large caliber weapon, to one that practices often with a smaller 380 or 9mm, or even a 22 or 5.7. Any gun shoot is bad, and all can be lethal. In fact, most street crimes are committed with small caliber weapons, with the 22 and 380 among the top runners. Every night when I watch the evening news, those thugs in over the rine, with their small caliber gun shoots look just as dead as any other victim I have seen or killed.

I have an LCP, and it has functioned flawlessly for me. I've heard type of ammo helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yknot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I second the 380...Way to many feel they have to carry a big macho gun, if that is your choice then do so, but don't try to push your garbage ideals onto others. The big guns are nice, and of-coarse they would be the obvious choice if I were at home, or just sitting around. But CC is much more than that, you have to be comfortable enough with the gun, holster, environment, way of dress and many other factors to carry every day. And carrying every day is what it is all about. It is hard enough to make that commitment on a full time basis, without the constant bereavement of others second guessing those that do choose to carry cancelled. When I was in the service, it was a no brainer, I had a issued weapon and carried it like 100K other soldiers, but the real world is a different environment. And the weapon you choose to carry has to be carefully chosen to blend in to your new environment with discretion, be comfortable enough to carry every day, has to work with the work environment, be secure and in a position for quick access and a fast draw. Trying to meet all these conditions is very hard, much harder than a service member that straps on a piece of battle hardware or a cop that has a duty belt and wears his weapon open.
The main concern should be that the guy at least tries to carry conceded, every day and has the stones to put up with all the inconveniences it takes to do so on a daily basis. Who cares what caliber he carries?? <span style="color: #000099">We all know that larger caliber hand guns are more lethal in qualified hands</span>, but I also know that having a gun when I need one, regardless of it caliber, is much more convenient then having the right gun at home. Personally I would prefer to not get shoot at all, regardless of caliber. But if I had to face down an opponent, I would prefer a guy that doesn't shoot often with a large caliber weapon, to one that practices often with a smaller 380 or 9mm, or even a 22 or 5.7. Any gun shoot is bad, and all can be lethal. <span style="color: #000099">In fact, most street crimes are committed with small caliber weapons, with the 22 and 380 among the top runners</span>. Every night when I watch the evening news, those thugs in over the rine, with their small caliber gun shoots look just as dead as <span style="color: #FF0000">any other victim I have seen or killed</span>.
</div></div>
First, you may want to <span style="color: #000099">provide sources if you're going to start throwing "facts" around</span>. As far as I can tell, the larger calibers are not inherently more lethal than smaller calibers. Factually, if the round functions correctly, they can do more tissue damage on living objects. Lethality is conditional on many factors, and bullet diameter plays a relatively small part in that. You do make good points, however, I'm not debating that.

Second, you may want to <span style="color: #FF0000">re-read what you type</span> before you send it off on the internet for everyone to read.

Now, on topic: I would have no problem carrying a .380 if I could reliably find the ammunition for it. From everything I've heard, the reliability on the Kel-Tecs in particular is just as good as any other pocket .380. I think most of the posts above this one reflect that, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

I have the P3AT and the MK9. Both guns have been great for me, the P3AT easier to hide. I will say that the MK9 is easy to shoot and very accurate. My mom was shooting it last week and I had her doing failure drill at 7yds with no issue, she loved it. Several fellow officers have the LCP and having shot both I think the LCP is a bit more refined. The barrel of my P3AT was not as nice inside as the ruger. Having used both I would get the ruger next time. Just my .02.

I don't have any problems with a .380acp, but would recommend you consider other pistols based on my negative experience with a Grendel P-11, an earlier design by the KelTec people.

Two pistols I recommend in that caliber are SigSauer's P230/P232 and the CZ-83. Also, if you have a C&R license, you can buy a surplus CZ-82 in 9X18 for about $200. All of these are bigger and heavier than the KelTec and the CZs have double column magazines.

I have the Ruger Lcp also but I have a few friends with the Kel-Tec. The Ruger to me just gets alittle better finish. The first thing you should do is have the feed ramp polished. Feed it good ammo. I run the powerball stuff in my LCP works great. I also found a small holster thats got a metal belt clip that can be moved to either side so you can wear it left or right side and inside or outside the pants. It also has a mag pouch down the top of the slide on the outside of the holster, mine will hold two mags in the pouch with mag extensions. Thses gives you 3 mags total. Not a bad set-up for a secondary weapon. I also carry it in a wallet type holster from Desaints and one from Galito or something like that. I carry mine mustly to places I don't want my 1911a1 printing or felt by family members when the hugs come out.

I have a LCP also never had a problem with it, but saw a keltec PF9 in a shop and picked it up to have a stronger caliber pocket gun. I did the fluff and buff on it and it has been a good pistol to me.

I carry a P3AT .380 ALL the time, sometimes alone, sometimes as a back-up, Depending on where I'm at & what I'm wearing.
The BEST gun to use to defend YOUR life is the one in YOUR hand
at the time you have to defend it. Practice often and make the best of it.
The new Hornady Critical Defense rounds are Top Notch.

Love the P3AT... The LCP is a nice little gun also and you can use the Keltec belt clips on them with a slight tweak from some pliars.

I carry an LCP like others as a backup or a primary when I can't conceal a 1911. My wife carries a P3AT. In my experience the Kel-Tec feeds a variety of HP ammunition better than the Ruger but that is going to be subjective from pistol to pistol. Whatever you get polish the feed ramp...break it in with ball ammo and then determine which defense loads will run well in it. I'd be happy to carry either

I just bought the TCP and love it. I checked all 3 out and decided on the TCP it comes with more and has more features.

My dad had a kel-tec p3at that jammed regularly. sent it back to kel-tec and I think in less then a week had it back with a brand new slide free of charge. had no more problems up until he sold it for the PF9 kel-tec

My P3AT's been working fine since before the Taurus and Ruger were off the drawing boards. I do wish it had a slide release and a little more visible sights.

I have a P3AT stashed on me somewhere pretty much 24x7. Sometimes as a backup to a P11 9mm or XD 45" 4" service model. Mine has a hogue grip and mag extension loaded with the top (2) rounds being Buffalo Bore Gold Dot hollowpoints +P and the rest being Buffalo Bore Flat Nose +P. For the average "problem" to arise it would be enough to either put down the threat, or at least subdue. NO handgun caliber is a guaranteed "man stopper". Unless you hit CNS the threat could still come at you regardless of where you hit vitals or how big of a caliber.

Another positive for the P3AT. Easily concealable and I have had ZERO function problems. While its certainly not a precision pistol, accuracy from mine has been very acceptable.

I have went thru 5 keltecs, This 1 inm not trading,lol, I have never had either of mine to hicup in anyway, on the otherhand my Ruger LCP, jammed often, so it found a new home..

I polished the feed ramp on my P3AT and shoot White Box with no problems.
With Hornady Critical Defense ammo I feel less snap and is accurate within reason for what it is.
Wouldn't leave home without it when out on the motorcycle.
2cents!