• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

KELTEC Gripe

UziDuzit

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Massachusetts
www.autoburst.net
I know the Keltec RFB is not a sharpshooter's rifle, since I don't belong to many Firearm forums, this is about the only place I can think of to post my gripe about it. Last week I went to the range to try out my new Elcan DR that I purchased from a member on this site (Great optic by the way). I decidsed to mount it on the RFB to give it a go. My RFB has less than 300 rounds through it, with gas postion set at a low setting. Five rounds in, using PMC factory loaded ammo (I know its not the best ammo but it is factory loads and it going through a RFB not AI AW), the rifle made an unusual POOOF sound from the front area (almost like a squib load), and a lot of smoke came from the gas block. I cleared the rifle checked the bore for obstructions, checked action, everything seemed OK. I then decided to fire it again, this time, the weapon made a much louder report and did not cycle the bolt, a good amount of smoke came from the gas block area again, leaving the spent case inside the chamber. At this point I decided to stop firing it, since obviously something was wrong. so I put it away to look at it when i got home. That evening, I disassembled the rifle and inspected all components. After removing the front pin and swinging down the handguard, I surpsingly found the gas piston lying on the bottom of the handguard, so this got me a bit concerned. since thats not normal :eek:. Upon further dissasembly and inspection, I found that a small retaining tab on the gas block split off, which inadvertently caused the piston to blow out. Shit happens, but here is the gripe:

1. CRAPPY MATERIALS: examining the gas block shows its made from a cheap casting/pot metal, not billet ordinance grade steel that I would expect from a $1900 rifle.

2. CRAPPY DESIGN: Only thing that is holding the gas piston from blowing out from the gas block is a small 1/8" size square tab and on a .308 caliber rifle, it probably should be a bit beefier, especially since the matertial is subpar. never in my years of shooting have i ever experienced such failures, in my FN FAL, SCAR Heavy, Galil .308, Norinco SVD 7.62x51r.

3. CRAPPY CUSTOMER SERVICE: I called customer service and explained situation, they said they would send me a new block and piston, waited 2 weeks nothing came in, called again left message no call back. called again few days later, another worker said that management denied shipping new part but I was never notified. Spoke to management and they said I need to send rifle in for repair and because I'm second owner the $25 shitty designed pot metal part is not covered by warranty and shipping is not covered either. So in other words it will cost me $75-$100 to replace a $25 shitty part that should have never failed in the first place. I attempted to explain the former to the manager but only got typical "we don't care" attitude, so I hung up the phone.

CONCLUSION: I currently own a RFB and a KSG (with which I also had issues) and was even thinking of buying a RDB in the future, but based on my experience with the RFB, and keltec service, I am fixing it and putting it up for sale, along with the KSG. No more Keltecs for me. Just wanted to pass along my experience in case anyone is on the fence for any Keltec products.

Last edited:
UPDATE: One of the managers at Keltec just called me and offered to send me the needed part so progress has been made in the custromer service department. I feel a bit better about this entire thing. Hopefully the new part has been redesigned so this wont happen again.

Keltec.... not exactly the most well designed, well built or reliable stuff...

Keltec.... not exactly the most well designed, well built or reliable stuff...
I originally purchased one of the first KSG shotguns when they first came out and it wouldn't even cycle shells out of the box, it literary just didn't work. I sent it back to KELTEC and they sent me back a pretty reliable gun. Not sure why they couldn't have just had better quality control from the start but I've had no complaints with the KSG since I got it back. In fact I liked it so much that I picked up the RFB, and overall the RFB is a nice shooting rifle. Its compact, accurate for what it is, feeds various style and grains of ammo (soft points, ball, hollow). and if it wasn't for this catastrophic failure I wouldn't have anything bad to say about it. Keltec just seems to cut corners on certain small details that ultimately ends up biting them in the ass 10 fold. perfect example is this gas block. It would have cost them just a little more to make it out of quality billet but it would have made the rifle so much more reliable and dependable that it would have paid for itself many times over by giving Keltec a better reputation.

Pro Tip: if you see a firearm that is screwed together like a Nerf gun....its likely a piece of shit.

bonus Pro Tip: if Nutnfancy likes it....its also likely a piece of shit.

Reactions: UziDuzit