• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Kentucky Members Shoot Feb 25-27th

Re: Kentucky Members Shoot - Ideas Wanted

PM sent

Anybody from Lex going on Sat only and want to cut driving cost?

I got a tiny rig at 36MPG but will not hold much kit and if loaded up, might not make it up the hills out of the ky river bottom?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM sent

Anybody from Lex going on Sat only and want to cut driving cost?

I got a tiny rig at 36MPG but will not hold much kit and if loaded up, might not make it up the hills out of the ky river bottom? </div></div>

Spending the night Friday with a room mate will be cheaper then a tank of gas
wink.gif

I live just outside Nashville and I just found out about this shoot so Im not sure I can make it last minute. If you do end up having this once a month or a few times a year please let me know about it Myself and my brother would come everytime possible.

Will there be some type of email leting us know when the dates will be Id like to get on that list of alert.

The announcements are made right here, with a new thread as I will let the old ones die.

We hope to be able to do this once a month or more, but I am not going to keep doing it for free on my end. It is a LOT OF WORK to put these functions together. Dragging out the steel is the worst part, then while everyone is home we are most likely picking up the steel. Its a huge commitment for me and my range officers to make sure this goes smoothly.

The more interest the more frequently we can do these events. They are also good practice for the Mammoth Sniper Challenges. We will make sure these stay fun and as frequent as we can, but are in the process of putting together a more set pricing with RCSC. This trip is the guinea pig so to speak.

laugh.gif

I have emailed the list of attendee's to Nick at RCSC. He has locked in the rooms of people that confirmed with me. If you want a room, speak now.

There are 3 OPEN spots left. If you would like to come, please PM me.
This will be fun and I am having a small challenge towards the end of the day with a prize to the top shooter! Its going to be a good time!

2 Spots left. Lets fill this thing up! I can only hold it open till the end of THIS week. 18th will be the last day to sign up and reserve a room.

Thanks to all participating.

Now keep your fingers crossed for good weather!
laugh.gif

The list is full of shooters and I am looking forward to seeing all of you next weekend. We will make sure to have a good weekend of shooting!

I am working on a little competition for everyone that wants to join in. It will be a "race" and the winner comes away with a prize! I will talk about it Saturday morning when we are on the range.

Thanks Everyone.

Would it be useful to bring an atv? I saw a few at mammoth might be helpful at the range

I have that handled. Utility vehicles will be there for range officers use.

According to the weather guy, should be half way decent down here next weekend. Highs in upper 50's. Lows in the upper 30's. 40% chance of some showers on Friday, but clear after that. Wind to be out of the WSW at 12 on Friday, SSE at 6 on Saturday, and NW at 7 on Sunday. This is waaay out so if I hear of any big changes, will let ya know.

TiredWings
Bowling Green, KY

looking forward to next weekend... KYS338 let me know if you need me to bring targets.

Myself and Mike went down there today to survey the area. We noted some major points:

1) The grass has not been cut in awhile. Nick told me he WOULD cut the area in which we will all be shooting from, that way when you go prone there is no brush in your field of view. I am also bringing weedeaters just in case.

2) There is a a major gas line that runs the edge of that property. The only one that troubles us is the one farthest out against tree line. We will point it out and people will have to steer clear from it.

3) Its going to be WET. No matter if we have a hot dry week there is going to be a lot of moisture from the snow. So bring a tarp to lay on. I only have a few so I am not handing them all out to people. Make sure you bring stuff with you so you don't get soaked.

We will continue to watch the weather closely. Looking to be a good weekend.

Ill be bringing some good ol KY Bourbon. We will all have a fun weekend!

The time to join and speak for a room is now closed! Thanks to all those who signed up. Depending on how this goes we will open it up to 35 members next time around.

laugh.gif

Re: Kentucky Members Shoot Feb 25-27th

Today is the absolute last day you can ask me for a hotel room. I have 12 rooms blocked off with 10 occupied right now, there are 2 left and if we need to add more now is the time to do so. I cant promise you a room if you show up friday evening asking the hotel staff for one. Chances are they will be available but I would much rather make reservations before hand.

I have an agenda made. (Will pass it out friday evening and saturday morning to our one day shooters)
I would start going thru your gear now. Make sure you have what you need.
BRING A TARP, no matter how hot and sunny it gets, the ground will be wet from the rains and snow!

And on the note of weather:

Looks like rain on Thursday
47 and cloudy Friday
55 and Sunny on Saturday
Rain on Sunday
frown.gif
depending on how hard its raining I will have to call off the morning session. We will see how the weather pans out for us. I am not trying to short anyone on shooting time but I cant collect targets if it's a mudhole. This property is not mine, so we need to treat it with respect. I don't want to tear it up getting to the placed targets.

A couple things I need to mention you should bring!

1) Cooler - fill it with water, gatorade, snacks. You will be out there all day breaking for lunch.

2) TARP put this under your shooting mat. Its no fun shooting all day if your caked in mud or soaked to the bone!

3) Hat, sunglasses, ear protection

4) Lawn Chair in case you would like to sit down for lunch or just take a break

5) Spotting scopes!

Add to the list as you all see fit. create a check list for before you go. You do not want to get out there and have forgot a crucial element in your kit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple things I need to mention you should bring!

1) Cooler - fill it with water, gatorade, snacks. You will be out there all day breaking for lunch.

2) TARP put this under your shooting mat. Its no fun shooting all day if your caked in mud or soaked to the bone!

3) Hat, sunglasses, ear protection

4) Lawn Chair in case you would like to sit down for lunch or just take a break

5) Spotting scopes!

Add to the list as you all see fit. create a check list for before you go. You do not want to get out there and have forgot a crucial element in your kit. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1) You will be out there all day breaking for lunch. </div></div>

Does this mean no one is driving personal rigs to the range? And if not, is there a taxi back and forth or one trip for the day and lunch?

For Sat only leaving Sat am, meet at the lodge? or time? I plan on leaving around 0630

Closed cell foam pad may be a good idea to bring.

I plan to bring a chair, its drying right now.

Comms for those down range and those on the line, I do not have any here in ky but maybe someone does.

Anyone bringing a chrono?

Looking forward to this.

Will be Driving to within about 300 yards (Up Hill) of the FFP, from there you can walk up, or catch a ride on ATV. It's Not a bad walk, we all walked it many times at the Mammoth SC Practice shoot. It Will be Muddy.

If anyone has Little or no experience at or past 400 yards, please PM me. Were discussing setting up targets from 100 - 300 IF they will be needed / utilized. It won't be easy to do.

400, 700, 800, 860, 900, 1000 are the ranges I Know we can set up. Each will have Multi targets. A MOA size, and larger ones. And some 75 - 100 yard Zero targets. If we need to accommodate shorter ranges we will, just let us know.

We will have plenty of gear and there will be Lots of help getting folks on target. The Infamous Tresmon (Pronounced "Trace") will be there to pester and abuse at will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Comms for those down range and those on the line, I do not have any here in ky but maybe someone does.</div></div>
Thankfully it's 2011, were bringin Cell Phones
smile.gif

Capt Richardson will be bringing a Chrono I believe. I did not pack one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Does this mean no one is driving personal rigs to the range? And if not, is there a taxi back and forth or one trip for the day and lunch?

For Sat only leaving Sat am, meet at the lodge? or time? I plan on leaving around 0630

Comms for those down range and those on the line, I do not have any here in ky but maybe someone does.

Looking forward to this. </div></div>

You can drive to the range BUT not to the firing position. I will have a UTV in case you have a lot of gear to move or have a handicap. The ground will be wet so we have to limit the vehicles getting close. its just a little hike up to the flat spot.

We are leaving for the range by 9AM central. No later. We can guide you to the range if need be.

I have comms for downrage to shooting position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chaser_2332</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this going to be the tobacco barn stage at mammoth? </div></div>
I do believe that is what they call it.... think its the only place to truly shoot 1500 yards and out.

I need everyone to check in with me, on this thread: If you are staying the night at RCSC and are on the list please confirm.

On the first page is the list of people attending. If your name is followed by a @ - you are signed up for a room.

It would also help to tell me who you are rooming with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Looking forward to this. </div></div>

You can drive to the range BUT not to the firing position. I will have a UTV in case you have a lot of gear to move or have a handicap. The ground will be wet so we have to limit the vehicles getting close. its just a little hike up to the flat spot.

We are leaving for the range by 9AM central. No later. We can guide you to the range if need be.

I have comms for downrage to shooting position. </div></div>

Thanks, that sounds superb, I should be at the lodge around 0830.

I am also bringing plenty of mountain money (DOD Form 1)(TP) and large trash bags to keep things dry and then to use for trash as I leave. Might even bring my sleeping bag for my afternoon power nap.

thanks
see everyone there

Agenda should be going out to everyone shortly, final details are being worked out by KYS338. It will cover, the who, what, when, where, etc.

If you have not done so already, please send a detailed message to KYS338 as follows:
- Are you staying at the Lodge, if so what nights, who are you rooming with, etc.
- When will you be arriving, day and time.
- What is your shooting preference / capability? Will you need close targets to check zero and get dope on, are you ready to jump straight out to 400 yards and go out to 1,000+. We are trying to make sure we setup the range as best we can to meet everyone's needs, so we need to know what everyone is capable of.
- What meals do you plan on eating at the Lodge.
- When do you plan on leaving, day and time.
- Do you have someone that you plan on shooting with.
Also feel free to throw me ([email protected]) and/or ACE on that email.

In terms of gear,
If you have a small "Pop Up Shelter", you may want to bring it. With the weather being questionable it may come in handy if the rain starts to come down hard and fast.

Bring plenty of tarps, trash bags, matts, whatever you need to keep yourself and your gear dry. With KY weather, it is obviously subject to change at any time, and you will be 200-300 yards from where your vehicles will be parked, so you may want to plan on "sheltering in place".

Additional Notes,
Last trip down, I had full cell phone service (AT&T) at the lodge and out on the range.

There are no "facilities" on the range, and you will be 5-10 minutes by vehicle from the lodge, so plan accordingly.

I will be bringing my chrono if someone needs to use it. It comes with the understanding that if you put a round through it, you will be handing me $150 dollars! I will also have a Kestrel 4500 with me for all shooting data, along with a number of ballistics programs to generate dope if anyone needs it.

If you are new to the long range shooting game, speak up and let us know so that we can help you out. We all have to crawl before we walk, and walk before we run, so don't worry if you are at the crawling stage. We want to make sure everyone has a good time and learns something, so if things are not working out, don't get frustrated or feel intimidated.

My truck will be so full of gear there will barely be room for me in it, so hopefully if you forgot something or did not have room for something, I will have you covered.

We will also be providing more details on Fri night and Sat morning at the shooters briefings.

Looking forward to a good weekend of long range shooting!
M Richardson

In case anyone needs this:

Presentation1.jpg

Park Mammoth Lodge is located at:
22850 Louisville RD
Park City, KY 42160

From I-65, take exit 48
Head South/East on 255 Mammoth Cave Parkway
When it intersects take 2nd St / Louisville Rd / 31W West
Follow that back under I-65, and you will see Bald Knob Road on the right, take it up to the Lodge.

If you are heading directly to the range,
Same directions, except continue on Louisville Rd / 31W West
You will see Chaumount Rd on the right about 3 miles from I-65
Turn right and follow it for just over 1 mile, you should see signs for the range/shoot at a drive off to the right.

If anyone needs more info or has any questions please post here or contact one of us.

Thanks,
M Richardson

Whatever you want to shoot in Ammo... 100 will make for a good time if you get dialed in early, 200 in a single rifle will mean you were Pretty damn frustrated lol.

I have the edited list as is below: All shooters are marked for a Friday arrival with hotel room with the @ symbol. All shooters arriving Saturday and shooting that day only are marked with "Saturday". If this is incorrect leave a post here and I can correct it. Come tomorrow I can make no more changes unless you are wanting to drive back and forth. We have EXACTLY 25 shooters plus RSO's makes 28 guests to the range. We have put a lot of work into this shoot. I want to thank Mike and Ace for their efforts. Also, assisting me is a good friend and hunting buddy, Barrett (yes, just like the rifle). He will make sure everyone stays safe and the targets stay in place, since he made most of their stands. Thanks to all attending!

<span style="color: #FF0000">1) A. Lawson - KYS338 @
2) B. Rushford - Saturday
3) A. Silcox - the conservator @
4) T. MonCeret - TresMon - Saturday
5) A. Lin - thevibe @
6) Matt M. - wildcatsfan11 @
7) G. Pettit - rbpilot
8) Eric Craig - Saturday
9) Todd Conley - toddconley - Saturday
10) J. Greene - Greene - Saturday
11) D. Million - Runamuk @
12) B. Million @
13) Derrick Grant @
14) Dain Grant @
15) B. Lin - theguy @
16) C. Zalewski - evilmonkey @
17) S. Reagan - TiredWings - Saturday
18) C. Walls - chaser_2332 - Saturday
19) M. Alderson - usmcdad - Saturday
20) J. Peck - kyshooter @
21) T. Koenig - Mrs.Ace @
22) B. Bracy - Biner626
23) J. Klein - m14er @
24) Isaac Frank - 7mmRM - Saturday
25) Tom Ancona - Saturday </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is a guess on ammo?

thanks </div></div>

Should be fine, I plan on bringing more then that in case we get more time then anticipated on the range due to weather. Fingers crossed we get clear skies and some warmth! When Mike and I did our survey it went from pouring rain to 71 degrees and clear in a hurry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the edited list as is below: All shooters are marked for a Friday arrival with hotel room with the @ symbol. All shooters arriving Saturday and shooting that day only are marked with "Saturday". If this is incorrect leave a post here and I can correct it. Come tomorrow I can make no more changes unless you are wanting to drive back and forth. We have EXACTLY 25 shooters plus RSO's makes 28 guests to the range. We have put a lot of work into this shoot. I want to thank Mike and Ace for their efforts. Also, assisting me is a good friend and hunting buddy, Barrett (yes, just like the rifle). He will make sure everyone stays safe and the targets stay in place, since he made most of their stands. Thanks to all attending!

<span style="color: #FF0000">1) A. Lawson - KYS338 @
5) A. Lin - thevibe @
7) G. Pettit - rbpilot
8) Eric Craig - Saturday
9) Todd Conley - toddconley - Saturday
12) B. Million @
13) Derrick Grant @
14) Dain Grant @
15) B. Lin - theguy @
22) B. Bracy - Biner626
23) J. Klein - m14er @
25) Tom Ancona - Saturday </span> </div></div>

I am not on the list, Saturday
John B

Now revised!

1) A. Lawson - KYS338 @
5) A. Lin - thevibe @
7) G. Pettit - rbpilot
8) Eric Craig - Saturday
9) Todd Conley - toddconley
12) B. Million @
13) Derrick Grant @
14) Dain Grant @
15) B. Lin - theguy @
22) B. Bracy - Biner626
23) J. Klein - m14er @
25) Tom Ancona - Saturday
26) John B. - 45.308 - Saturday

RSO #1 - Mike Richardson "cptrichardson", he is also a certified EMS! @
RSO #2 - -Ace- @
RSO #3 - B. Hawkins @

I would like to thank the Mammoth Shooting Center and the gentlemen who made this shoot possible. The range was laid out well and Mammoth supplied a nice facility. I'm really hoping to be able to do this on a regular basis.

Jason

Thanks to all, that made this possible.

All expectations were far exceeded. Met some great people, witnessed some nice shooting and learned some very valuable lessons.

I really appreciate everyone's patience and help.

Good job on putting this together. Very nice place to shoot. IMO, this place has some big time potential.

Big thank you to all involved the the rockcastle shoot. It was awsome to finally put faces with names and get to meet some fellow hide members. Really hoping everyone had a good time and hope rockcastle will be willing to make this a monthly shoot

Glad you all came out. Despite the cold on Friday during set up I had a great time! Got to meet a lot of nice people and share the line with great shooters. I saw a lot of people that were new and making the effort to get out and try to step outside of their comfort zones. They surprised themselves I think in some aspects. We had a new shooter hit at 1000 yards and it was awesome to see him so excited about it.

I will try to make this a monthly event. It just takes time and communication with RockCastle. We had a member take a lot of pics, we will put some up as he can get them uploaded. Thanks to all!

Well, I am one of the greenhorns to bust his cherry at 1000 and I can say the bar is officially set a lot higher. Thanks to all who made this little get-together possible, it far exceeded my expectations. I met some great people and slung a lot of .308 in an ideal setting. I look forward to many more visits to Rock Castle.

Pics for your enjoyment. Peace.
RC06.jpg

RC04.jpg

RC02-1.jpg

RC03.jpg

RC01.jpg

RC05.jpg

I would like to thank KYS338, Ace, Mrs. Ace, Mike Richardson, and Trace making it easy for me to get out past 400 yards for the first time. Got a few hits on 500 and 600, and lost some lead trying for 700. Learned a lot. May take me some time to put everything I learned into practice. Would also like to thank the staff at Rockcastle Shooting Center and Park Mammoth Resort for going the extra mile and making everyone feel welcome. Look forward to doing this again soon if schedule allows.

TiredWings/Shane
Bowling Green, KY

Hi Crew,

Tres here. I too would like to thank everyone involved with this practice shoot. I'm not shy nor have I ever hesitated to "put it in the store front window" here on the Hide, so here I go.

I am so thankful I made the trip. My rifle is still down waiting on a rebarrel. (chamber reamer mix up or it would be up & running a few weeks ago) I attended so I could just chip in and help however I could help regardless of the task, means or capacity. I came to serve. But the tables got turned on me!

I was blessed by the graciousness & generosity shown to me by new friends. I was moved by the genrosity & kindness pointed my way. It was great to meet some fellow Hiders and the make great shooting connections. I was blessed by so many people that let me shoot their ammo through their rifle.

I learned so much! I was reminded what it was like to be a new guy and "running blind" at range trying to hit a target. I'd get behind one guys rifle and he'd tell me he had all the wind dialed on just hold center and shoot. Some of you had some of the wind dialed and some others had dialed none and told me to hold for wind. Then me being a lefty I was driving your rifle from the opposite side which can make a minor shift in poi. It was so good to be reminded what it's like to not be on the ball with a given rifle, load and it's dope, not to mention a particular unfamiliar cartridges personality but you steered me into making made good hits with your really nice gear! Plenty cool!

The food was good and RCSC does have great potential. I appreciate all the behind the scenes work that was done early in the mornings and late in the evening by Ace, Ms.Ace, CaptRichardson. They were out early with machete's & sickles clearing target areas the hard way for us all to enjoy. Also, these individuals I believe personally owned the bulk of the steel we shot at and whose personal target frames we shot up. They only smiled and spoke of great times had by all. What an attitude. Others helped as well.

I wanted to say to the rookies & amateurs alike if you felt you had a hard time learning, or seemed to be having a harder time than normal go easy on yourself. We were shooting through grass at both the firing line as well as near the targets. Sunday morning we had several bullets blow up in flight before reaching the target. Also I took a pic of a perfect print of a tumbling/keyholed bullet on steel:
IMG_20110227_105818.jpg

So don't be too hard on yourself.

Thanks again for the new friendship that were forged quickly as well as the great contacts. I feel I was not able to help as much as I wanted and If someone didn't get the attention they needed or wanted I apologize- send me a PM and I'll send a raincheck!

Bless yuns all,
T

I would like to reiterate the thanks to ky338, staff for the event, and rockcastle for hosting a great outing that was was run very smooth. I met a lot of good shooters at the event and look forward to attending a monthly shoot . Hopefully rockcastle acknowledges the amount of intrest and commitment from shooters like us and this event can grow. I was impressed with the target layout, coordination and quick thinking to solve a few facility issues( mowing) and the number of shooters that showed up for a first go at a new location and walked away happy, can't wait to see round two!