• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestral 4000 Series RECALL

Mo_Zam_Beek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2002
OR_GUN
I got an email this morning from Kestrel Meters stating that they realized they were having an issue with 4000 and 4500's at very low temps displaying higher RH than true value.

The effected serial number range is 571631 -> 608738 manufactured between April of 2008 and April of 2010.

To their credit, they are fixing it on their dime.

Call 800 784 4221 to get an RA # and a prepaid UPS return label.

Good luck

Re: Kestral 4000 Series RECALL

Thanks for the heads up.......Of course my new 4000NV falls right in there!

............and mine falls within the serial # range too, I'm not sure how low temps get in AZ if it will be effected or not, but would hate to take a chance. They usually have great customer service, so hopefully the turn around is quick.

Thanks, you can also go to their website: www.nkhome.com and fill out a form to get a return authorization no. and request a prepaid return label.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check my unit but if I know my luck, Im included.

Love this place!!!

You can find the full details of the letter here: http://nkhome.com/wp/2010/07/kestrel-thermistor/

From our FAQ about the recall:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kestrel Press Release</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Long-range Shooting: I use my Kestrel 4000 to take measurements relating to ballistics performance – specifically wind, temperature, barometric pressure and density altitude. How will this issue affect the accuracy of my firing solution?</span>

Wind, temperature and pressure are all unaffected, so these readings will be completely within specifications. Relative humidity has an extremely small effect on air density (whether input as density altitude or humidity into your ballistics calculator), so the humidity inaccuracy is unlikely to impact the firing solution result at all. If this is the only context in which you use your Kestrel 4000 (or 4500), you can safely continue to use it for this purpose. </div></div>

You can post any questions or concerns you may have here, or email us [email protected]. As others have said, if you would like your unit to be repaired completely free of charge, please fill out the RA form here: https://www.nkhome.com/ra/ra.php

Thank you

Thanks KC.
I'd imagine that this fix will be available for a while? Since RH is such a small part of the firing solution matrix, mixed with the small chance of me shooting in extreme cold, is it imperative to return right away?

sobrbiker883: Yes, the fix will be available for the foreseeable future. There's no reason to rush - though we are repairing the units pretty fast.

And your right: for shooting, this problem isn't urgent. Even if you find yourself in a situation which is outside of the acceptable range of our error table, you accuracy should not be off by a noticeable amount due to a small error in humidity reading.

I'm not a shooter, but from a ballistics website:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ExteriorBallistics.com</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Humidity also has a small effect on a bullet’s trajectory, and at all altitudes. Humidity affects the air density, tending to decrease the air density a small amount, depending on the relative humidity in the atmosphere and the vapor pressure of water at the temperature of the atmosphere. The effect of humidity is generally worst at locations near sea level on very hot days, but even under these conditions, the effect is small. </div></div>

Thanks for the heads up, mine is just before the SN range, so mine is GTG, thanks again MZB

Mine is in the range. I'll get on the horn with them soon.

Thanks MZB

Looking at Exbal with a .308 175 match bullet. If you run the calculations with nothing changing but the RH, there is no change in the come ups at 1000 yards when going from 10 to 100% RH.

I wouldn't worry about it if all you're using the Kestrel for is shooting solutions.

So THAT'S WHY I didn't get that first round hit at 1,000 yards on my 6x6 plate. Damn Kestrel
smile.gif

KestrelChick - what is the range of variance that you all are finding these are off? Is it limited to extreme cold?

(This may be much ado about nothing for most of us)

TIA

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the heads up.......Of course my new 4000NV falls right in there! </div></div>X2. Thanks.

Thank you for passing on information like this. Just another fine example of the quality and usefullness of "The Hide" and its members.

Kestrelchick welcome to the hide and thank you for taking a personal interest in getting this squared away. Mine is one of the first 4000's, so well before the listed serial number range. Thank you for a great product and superb customer service. Kestrelchick give it a little while, you hang around the precisoin rifle game any length of time you will becoome addicted. If there is ever anything we can do for you here please do not hesitate to ask.

Take care,

Danel

Danel says it best, but welcome, and stay aboard. I must have one of the first editions, and have had no problems. My regards to my friend Monica...

Welcome to the hide Kestrel Chick, this place will steal your life if you let it!

Just my luck, expecting my new 4500NV in the mail this week... You get ready to release a firing solution system. Always behind the 8 ball!

mine is in that range.... dunno if I'm going to send it in though

So now I know how to explain all my missed shots.

Great I have a 4500 in that range.

Kestrel customer service is great. I was going to get one of these anyways, but it's always nice to see a company like this that stands behind their products.

Thanks for the heads up. Yep mine falls in the range as well. I'll give them a call next week.

ugh. thanks man.

Thank you everyone for your support, and we really appreciate your patience with this recall.

As I stated before, for shooters this isn't as big of an issue it is in other markets. Since humidity is not a huge factor is bullet trajectory, the error introduced in certain conditions is minor to your accuracy. Nevertheless, we will repair any unit within the serial number range, free of charge.

Regarding what the error is, please see the chart from our letter and blog (shown below). The columns indicate the relative humidity (%) and the rows are for different temperatures (in F on this chart). The number in each cell represents what the Kestrel will read, and the color indicates the error from what the unit should be reading.
kestrel_chart1.gif

As you can see, at room temperature the Kestrel operates as accurate as we guarantee (+/- 3.0% for RH).

Again, you can find all of the information about this recall on our website, and you can start the process of returning your meter by filling out the RA form on our website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the heads up, I'll check my unit but if I know my luck, Im included.

Love this place!!! </div></div>

Yup, what he said^^ knowing my shitty luck!

Neil

Got mine way back so the serial # was in the 54000s. One less thing for me to send.