• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 2500NV

Mormegil87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    The Frozen Tundra
    So after the frustration of trying to figure out the wind the other day at the range I've decided to get a Kestrel and the intermediate price of the 2500 caught my attention. Is there anything I should be worried about with the 2500 model or will it serve the needs of a new shooter like myself.

If your buying a new meter I wouldn't buy a model under the 3500. The 3500 model and up will do all you want it to do. Compare the features of the two models and you will see spending the extra money will be worth it.

Kestrel 2500NV

If your buying a new meter I wouldn't buy a model under the 3500. The 3500 model and up will do all you want it to do. Compare the features of the two models and you will see spending the extra money will be worth it.

I'm at the same decision point as OP. My question for you is outside of the 4500 with the AB app. What is the 3500 and above models offering that the 2500 will not provide that is advantageous to shooting. From my understanding temperature and pressure are going to be of the most important in terms of atmospherics and the 2500 does both of those.

Is the 3500 or 4500 going to run more reliably?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kestrel Meter 2500 Meter Measures/Features
    •Current Wind Speed
    •Maximum Wind Gust
    •Average Wind Speed
    •Air, Water & Snow Temperature
    •Wind Chill
    •Barometric Pressure
    •Altitude
    •Real-time clock
    •Protective cover with sure-grip overmolding
    •Data hold function
    •Large easy-to-read display with backlight
    •Waterproof and floats
    •Innovative design for stability and accuracy in abrupt condition changes
    •Patented user-replaceable impeller
    •Quick response, external thermistor
    •High precision pressure sensor
    •Reliable, portable and easy to use
    •All instruments and accessories are completely assembled in the USA

The Kestrel Meter 3500 Weather Meter measures/features
    •Barometric pressure
    •Altitude
    •Relative humidity
    •Heat stress index
    •Dewpoint
    •Wet bulb temperature
    •Wind chill
    •Air, water, and snow temperature
    •Current wind speed
    •Average wind speed
    •Maximum wind gust
    •Real-time clock
    •Waterproof and floats
    •Large easy-to-read display with backlight
    •Data hold function
    •High precision pressure sensor
    •Quick response, external thermistor
    •Forecast weather with pressure trend indicator
    •Humidity sensor can be recalibrated in the field with our Relative Humidity Calibration Kit.
    •Innovative, thermally adjusted humidity sensordesigned for stability and accuracy in abrupt condition changes
    •Patented user-replaceable impeller
    •Reliable, portable and easy to use
    •Protective cover with sure-grip overmolding
    •All instruments and accessories are completely assembled in the USA

The Kestrel Meter 4500 Weather Meter measures/features
    •Heading (true & magnetic)
    •Wind direction
    •Crosswind
    •Headwind/tailwind
    •Altitude
    •Pressure trend
    •Barometric pressure
    •Wet bulb temperature
    •Relative humidity in %
    •Heat stress index
    •Dewpoint
    •Density altitude
    •Wind chill
    •Air, water, and snow temperature °F or °C
    •Current, average, and maximum air velocity
    •Waterproof and floats
    •Time and date
    •Easy- to-read backlit display
    •Data Logger (automatic and manual)
    •Customizable data storage - 2900 data points
    •Minimum, Maximum and Average values
    •Multi-Function 3-line display
    •Humidity sensor can be recalibrated in the field with our Relative Humidity Calibration Kit.
    •Exterior temperature, humidity, and pressure sensors for fast and accurate readings
    •Customize screens to display user-selected measurements
    •Graph and recall trends
    •User-replaceable impeller
    •Flip-top impeller cover allows use of other functions while protecting the impeller
    •Data charting
    •Upload to a computer (with optional interface)
    •Five languages (English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian)
    •US Patent Nos. 5,783,753 and 5,939,645 and 6,257,074
    •Assembled in the USA

We offer all these meters here on our site if anyone needs to order one
    Tools - Impact Data Books

I wouldn't buy anything under the 4500 with Bluetooth. I own the 4500NV AP model and the Applied Ballistics software on my tablet. Real time information wirelessly to your tablet, and you can make adjustments on the fly. Once you try it, youll never look back.

Thanks for listing out the difference in features. But what I'm after is, not including the ballistics programs, as far as atmospherics which of those added features of the other models am I going to need for shooting besides pressure, temperature and wind?

I wouldn't buy anything under the 4500 with Bluetooth. I own the 4500NV AP model and the Applied Ballistics software on my tablet. Real time information wirelessly to your tablet, and you can make adjustments on the fly. Once you try it, youll never look back.

Maybe I'll just have to save up the cash. Does the 450 work with an IPAD?

Edit: Never mind I found the answer.

Last edited:
    The 2500 won't do a Density Altitude calculation, but it will give you the data you need for a ballistic calculator like Ballistic AE (except humidity, but that doesn't matter much for shooting). It's more of a pain to have to enter things manually though. If you have the cash the 4500 is the way to go.

The 2500 won't do a Density Altitude calculation, but it will give you the data you need for a ballistic calculator like Ballistic AE (except humidity, but that doesn't matter much for shooting). It's more of a pain to have to enter things manually though. If you have the cash the 4500 is the way to go.

Thanks. So I'm under the correct understanding on things.

Next question raised then is if I have an instrument reading actual pressure at the site isn't this more preferred than having to use density altitude. With DA, wouldn't you then have to worry about knowing your altitude in addition to temp?

DA uses temperature and absolute pressure. Altitude doesn't matter. With a 2500 you'd set your reference altitude to zero. With the models that calc DA the reference altitude doesn't matter, it's just using absolute pressure for the calc.

Keep in mind, that when you look at the kestrels, the drop down menu to change between colors, also changes from the Bluetooth model to the standard model. If you don't go Bluetooth make sure you buy the cable.

Thanks Mr Ouchie. Muddied the water in confusing needin temp and alt to get DA on a chart with what the 4500 would do.

What is advantage of having DA if you have pressure and an app like Ballistic AE?

Sorry OP if my questions are throwing your thread off. I'm in your boat of wanting a kestrel and thinking the 2500 would work well for shooting since I already have a ballistic app.

I dont know,

I have a 2500, it reads what I need. It takes me all of 5 seconds to calc DA with a graph(on back of a FDAC). DA doesn't change shot to shot.

Kestral for environmental, fdac for DA and drop, shoot.

Also the 2500 wont shit AAA battery juice all over the unit and void the warranty.

Dont get me wrong, the 3500 and 4500 have very nice features and integrate with ballistic programs, but only if you need/want those features.

Thanks all for the help and thanks Rote for the thread. Ended up ordering the 2500 since I already have ballistic AE. Putting the other couple hundred to a Leica 1600.

Thanks all for the help and thanks Rote for the thread. Ended up ordering the 2500 since I already have ballistic AE. Putting the other couple hundred to a Leica 1600.

Let me know how things pan out with the 2500 and Ballistic AE, I'm a good 6-8 weeks out from grabbing a kestrel (big ammo order this month) and would appreciate the info.

I dont know,

I have a 2500, it reads what I need. It takes me all of 5 seconds to calc DA with a graph(on back of a FDAC). DA doesn't change shot to shot.

Kestral for environmental, fdac for DA and drop, shoot.

Also the 2500 wont shit AAA battery juice all over the unit and void the warranty.

Dont get me wrong, the 3500 and 4500 have very nice features and integrate with ballistic programs, but only if you need/want those features.

Does the FDAC work well for you? Ive got a set for .308 from Adaptive and just ordered a Kestrel 2500nv. Hope im thinking right on the way i went.

Let me know how things pan out with the 2500 and Ballistic AE, I'm a good 6-8 weeks out from grabbing a kestrel (big ammo order this month) and would appreciate the info.

Follow up for you. First day out this past weekend with the 2500nv. After taking my time verifying scope zero, tracking etc at 100 yds with the 308 with FGMM 168mk's. Moved over to long range with all atmospherics plugged into the ballistic AE app and proceeded to make first round hits at 400 and 500 yards at some funky animal shaped steels. Up to now I usually have had make a sighter or two if it's a load I haven't worked with. So long story short I believe this will definitely be a great tool for now until I were to feel I need something a bit more fancy.

Does the FDAC work well for you? Ive got a set for .308 from Adaptive and just ordered a Kestrel 2500nv. Hope im thinking right on the way i went.

I will say yes, will it always put a first round hit on target, well show me a program that does.

The great thing is there is no plugging, scrolling, charging, trying to read a display in direct sunlight. You go out and validate one of the cards for your load, and as atmospherics change, you simply slide the card. Like I stated before, the 2500 will give you the temp and alt, you just read the card for DA and sliiiiiide. My 2500 is a couple years old and still using the same CR2032 coin battery.

I have tested the FDAC in zero degree to 108 degree and have been more than pleased. MOA or MIL, just flip it over.

I do have Ballistic AE for my iphone, and will use that occasionally, but mostly for hunting with my 7 Mag or 7x57.