• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

kestrel 4500 applied balliistics w bluetooth

Expensive, but extremely useful device.
You'll have to be more specific if you want a better answer than..."I like it because it works". ;)

I really can't say whether it's worth the cost or not...it is pricey, but, it is not a necessity.
What I can say is that it will take real-time, local, atmospheric conditions and use them on the fly when calculating your ballistic data. If this is something you'd like to have, then it's worth it.
It's a neat device if you have a tripod and a weather vane to attach to it. You can then link it to your Andoid and get real-time elevation and wind holds as you need them.

Easy to use is relative to each user...to me it is because I have a degree in computer science. ;)
If you can read a manual, it's fine...

(disclaimer) I haven't had a chance to shoot with mine yet. I bought it because I wanted an all in one system instead of relying on two different devices.

The AB Kestrel may have some features that Kestrel/AB app combo doesn't have. I seem to remember being told that the AB app doesn't have crosswind jump built in. Also, it is quicker and easier to use the AB Kestrel for coriolis and crosswind, i.e click a button, point it into the wind for a few seconds, click a button, point in DOF, click a button and you are good. The only thing I don't like about the AB Kestrel is that there are a bunch of weather functions built in that I never use but had to pay for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Their are multiple threads about this, but here is how it boils down.

Kestrel AB is ok, but without a cable or Bluetooth you are incredibly limited. The cable is about 100$ the Bluetooth upgrade is about 100$, so I would spend the money on the Bluetooth upgrade. Once you do this you have options.

Profile Loader - Allows you to download and upload profiles, creating them on your computer and transferring them.
Ballistic Analytics program - Allows you to fine tune your ballistics, and keep computerized shooting logs. This can help you adjust for any small variations you need to.

AB Apps= Standard AB on Google Play, AB Tactical (Military, LE Only), Kestrel Companion. All of these will talk to it. Also some new things coming out are things like the IBEAM. Which is a device that sits under the scope with a remote that allows you to see on the fly adjustments. Kestrel companion which is a phone display of what your kestrel is telling you. Allowing you to adjust for range from the phone, while never touching your kestrel. It basically turns the kestrel in to a remote controlled device. I will link a couple of threads to you. But the just of it is, it will help improve your shooting. Its also great for other things, like fishing, and flying (if your a pilot), my wife sometimes uses mine when she coaches softball.

Spend the extra money, and give yourself the freedom of having lots of options. Here are some thread for you.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...new-app-kestrel-kestrel-companion-mobile.html

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ics/123286-applied-ballistics-mobile-app.html

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...d-ballistics-mobile-now-available-iphone.html

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...istics-kestrel;-pro-staff-support-thread.html

Here are just some of the products out now: Products | Applied Ballistics, LLC With many more in the future.

Also they have a trade in program. So if you want to upgrade in the future, you will get more money on the trade in of yours if you have the Bluetooth model.

I would like to see Leica come out with a LRF binocular that will range out to 2000 yrds and have the ballistic solver do the same. why do the geovids range to 2k but the ballistic info is good to 900yds or so.

Some companies do this, because they dont want you hunting past 500 yards. They don't want to give you the opportunity to wound instead of kill while hunting. Like Zeiss for instance. Their ballistic solver is limited in range, simply because they dont want you trying to shoot a deer at 800 yards.

The only glimpse I have had of a 4500 AB, I could not read the dark, small screen. Someone flashes a I Phone scrolling down the 'card' and it is visible, from a distance. Would I have a satisfactory view of the thing if I could hold it' just right"?

The only glimpse I have had of a 4500 AB, I could not read the dark, small screen. Someone flashes a I Phone scrolling down the 'card' and it is visible, from a distance. Would I have a satisfactory view of the thing if I could hold it' just right"?

It's not the easiest screen to see but it does have a screen illumination button. Best bet is to set the kestrel in a vane mount and use the companion app on your larger screen smart phone.

I just received a 4500 applied ballistic with Bluetooth. Can I hijack this and ask how set it up properly? I'm having difficulties. From what I've read you want to pull density altitude, so they say to zero out your ref alt. in the baro screen and in the alt screen zero out your ref baro? And you need to turn off both the sync bar and sync alt off? So that ref alt and ref baro stay at zero? Then it will pull ur station pressure for where ever u may be? Thanks! I'm confused lol

I just received a 4500 applied ballistic with Bluetooth. Can I hijack this and ask how set it up properly? I'm having difficulties. From what I've read you want to pull density altitude, so they say to zero out your ref alt. in the baro screen and in the alt screen zero out your ref baro? And you need to turn off both the sync bar and sync alt off? So that ref alt and ref baro stay at zero? Then it will pull ur station pressure for where ever u may be? Thanks! I'm confused lol

Don't worry - these type of questions always come up. The good news is that I accounted for this in the software. It pulls station (absolute) pressure directly from the pressure sensor. You don't have to worry about setting reference altitudes, etc. In ballistics mode, no matter what you do in terms of reference altitude or anything else related, it should always pull the right numbers for you. Internally, it is using temperature/pressure/humidity to compute DA but the ballistics solver uses those values directly, not DA.

In other words, you don't need to do anything special to set up the unit... just enter your gun data and go.

-Nick

I thinknim about ready to get one. Seems like an awesome product that is a great backup or will make your other system a backup lol

I love mine, I've used it to get my 6.5 Creedmoor on target at 1690 yards, and my 300 blackout on target at 1000 yards. On top of that, It's spot on at other ranges on smaller targets.

[video=youtube_share;jT-SM9_OyRc]http://youtu.be/jT-SM9_OyRc[/video]

[video=youtube_share;-3Fg3yPKnzs]http://youtu.be/-3Fg3yPKnzs[/video]

What would be the difference in going with the Custom drag curve vs the G7/G1 for the same bullet?

For my .308 setup shooting 175 SMK, I found that the custom drag curves are close enough to negate the need for truing the DSF. I just true the MV and I've found the data good to 1600m (the farthest I've been able to shoot)

Custom drag curves were tested by Brian Litz in a Lab. Laboratory | Applied Ballistics, LLC

Get the 4000 and buy the Shooter app. That is all you need

For my .308 setup shooting 175 SMK, I found that the custom drag curves are close enough to negate the need for truing the DSF. I just true the MV and I've found the data good to 1600m (the farthest I've been able to shoot)

I have to come in with my own personal experience and discuss, since there are comments that do not make sense. No, a Kestrel 4000 and Shooter App will not do the same thing. Nice try to hijack this thread. There is a substantial difference between Shooter and Applied Ballistics AE.

Also, there is a substantial difference between the G1/G7 drag curves and the Custom Drag Curves. My own experience has realized a less than .1 milliradian error rate with the custom drag curve on my Lapua 155 grain .308 bullets. In plain English, the AB Kestrel is dead on accurate, in all conditions and in all situations. All of my guess work is OVER… period.

For example, I have shot in hot and humid weather, cold and humid weather, cold and dry weather and all variations in between. The AB Kestrel is absolute in all aspects.

Thank you Nick and the rest of the Kestrel gang for producing such a revolutionary product that works. It just works.

No, with wind calls and setting up wind ranges, I have not found a better tool out there. There is simply no math. As was suggested to me, I set all of my firing solutions at all ranges based on a wind range of 5mph and 10 mph at full value, then read the wind and judge. My hit percentage increased 4 fold with this function.

Great work to all involved. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
I have to come in with my own personal experience and discuss, since there are comments that do not make sense. No, a Kestrel 4000 and Shooter App will not do the same thing. Nice try to hijack this thread. There is a substantial difference between Shooter and Applied Ballistics AE.

Also, there is a substantial difference between the G1/G7 drag curves and the Custom Drag Curves. My own experience has realized a less than .1 milliradian error rate with the custom drag curve on my Lapua 155 grain .308 bullets. In plain English, the AB Kestrel is dead on accurate, in all conditions and in all situations. All of my guess work is OVER… period.

For example, I have shot in hot and humid weather, cold and humid weather, cold and dry weather and all variations in between. The AB Kestrel is absolute in all aspects.

Thank you Nick and the rest of the Kestrel gang for producing such a revolutionary product that works. It just works.

No, with wind calls and setting up wind ranges, I have not found a better tool out there. There is simply no math. As was suggested to me, I set all of my firing solutions at all ranges based on a wind range of 5mph and 10 mph at full value, then read the wind and judge. My hit percentage increased 4 fold with this function.

Not sure commenting on my experience is high jacking a thread. With my experience of using the 4000 having it load to my Shooter app, first round hits at a mile seem to be dead on after truing. not doing the same thing... kestrel loads on my shooter app. With the loaded data I click on the results and bam! All data and graphs are there. So what does the 4500 do differently besides tell you where the wind is blowing from?

Thanks man - well stated. We really appreciate hearing stuff like that - makes the hard work worth it.

If you have a good muzzle velocity from a good chrono, then, no, you don't need to. I've just seen way too many sub-par chrono's out there and with the optical sensors, they are difficult to set up at times. The high end units are good as well as the magneto speeds.

-Nick

Ok which kestrel should I be looking at to buy, there re so feeling many models with this and that gadget it's hrs to determine which model with what features that you guys talk about? I see them priced from 300.00 all way up over 800.00

Ok which kestrel should I be looking at to buy, there re so feeling many models with this and that gadget it's hrs to determine which model with what features that you guys talk about? I see them priced from 300.00 all way up over 800.00

4500NV Bluetooth with Applied Ballistics

4500NV Bluetooth with Applied Ballistics

I am CLEARLY biased... but the AB Kestrel with Bluetooth gives you the top of the line unit with the greatest capability. It's the most pricey unit but also, by far, the most capable of all of the units.

Still learning all the function of my 4500 AB. With that I'm a bit confused on what advantages I have by downloading the library? Could I just look up each BC for my rifle and then go through the MV, DSF, and then be at the same inputs ?? Thanks

Still learning all the function of my 4500 AB. With that I'm a bit confused on what advantages I have by downloading the library? Could I just look up each BC for my rifle and then go through the MV, DSF, and then be at the same inputs ?? Thanks

If you use the custom curve for your specific bullet, you are using the measured drag as a function of velocity rather than referencing against one of the standards. HPBT type bullets will more closely follow a G7 drag curve in general. However, each bullet will vary from that standard. By using the custom curve, you're getting the exact model of the bullet rather than just one of the standard curves. Bryan measures each bullet with extreme accuracy.

The result is that once you have the muzzle velocity set, you probably will be able to reach out to extreme long range with your round without having to perform any calibration at all.