• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 AB and Leica 3200 Binos

SkyScrapin

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Dallas, TX
strictlyoffensivekit.com
If the Kestrel is hooked up to the Leica, and you lase a target, after it runs the calc in AB in the Kestrel, does it push that data back into the Leica's like a HUD populating holds for range and wind?

Anyone have a video of this in action?

How long does it take to connect the Kestrel to the Leica's?

Is there anyway to load a drop chart into the Leica's similar to how the ABC engine works? Ie: Can I hook up the Leica to my AB Kestrel and push the dope for that given day/atmosphere to the Leica binos that way I don't have to worry about connecting everytime I need dope? In essence, the data would be pre-loaded and all I would need to do is range for elevation holds.

If the Kestrel is hooked up to the Leica, and you lase a target, after it runs the calc in AB in the Kestrel, does it push that data back into the Leica's like a HUD populating holds for range and wind?

Anyone have a video of this in action?

How long does it take to connect the Kestrel to the Leica's?

Is there anyway to load a drop chart into the Leica's similar to how the ABC engine works? Ie: Can I hook up the Leica to my AB Kestrel and push the dope for that given day/atmosphere to the Leica binos that way I don't have to worry about connecting everytime I need dope? In essence, the data would be pre-loaded and all I would need to do is range for elevation holds.
Yes, when connected inside the Leica you will see the resulting dope from the kestrel based on what the kestrel currently has for environmental and wind loaded. The Leica will send dof, angle, and distance. The resulting dope will be elevation and wind hold.

The Leica has the ability to have internal calc the user interface is very challenging to enter and maintain. No way I am aware of to send just environmental data to the leica and have it be autonomous.

Yes, when connected inside the Leica you will see the resulting dope from the kestrel based on what the kestrel currently has for environmental and wind loaded. The Leica will send dof, angle, and distance. The resulting dope will be elevation and wind hold.

The Leica has the ability to have internal calc the user interface is very challenging to enter and maintain. No way I am aware of to send just environmental data to the leica and have it be autonomous.

Thanks. good info.

In your part 2, I'm really just curious if I can load an elevation only curve just like the ABC Leica engine does, but pushing the holds from AB calcs. I want to completely get away from having to dick with the Leica engine, but it sounds like that's not possible.

Thanks. good info.

In your part 2, I'm really just curious if I can load an elevation only curve just like the ABC Leica engine does, but pushing the holds from AB calcs. I want to completely get away from having to dick with the Leica engine, but it sounds like that's not possible.
Nope, you either use their engine and interface, or the kestrel and handshake.

Just received my 3200’s. Is there any videos or links that help you connect to the kestrel? I’m fairly tech savvy but I was having a tough time syncing all the devices up. I did update both the kestrel and binos with the latest firmware.

Just received my 3200’s. Is there any videos or links that help you connect to the kestrel? I’m fairly tech savvy but I was having a tough time syncing all the devices up. I did update both the kestrel and binos with the latest firmware.

Just make sure Bluetooth is in the correct mode, and they should pair right up. Not exactly the same, but similar.

Just make sure Bluetooth is in the correct mode, and they should pair right up. Not exactly the same,
Thanks for the video. I had no problem today linking the kestrel to the binos. Pretty damn cool how these things work. I’ll be playing around with these for the next few days to see what other cool features they have.

Thanks for the video. I had no problem today linking the kestrel to the binos. Pretty damn cool how these things work. I’ll be playing around with these for the next few days to see what other cool features they have.

I have noticed in that the DOF from my 3200.com does not match the DOF from my kestrel.

When I range something with the binos and then put the back of the kestrel in the same direction the DOF is not the same. They are about 50 degree different. I have re-calibrated my kestrel and both devices have the updated firmware. Any ideas how to fix this?

What does your phone say?

The kestrel is notorious for needing calibration. The Leica had no calibration, so not sure to trust it.

I don't use the dof in either, i set the dof in the kestrel to zero to negate the coriolis effect. I would trust your iphone over both.

I have noticed in that the DOF from my 3200.com does not match the DOF from my kestrel.

When I range something with the binos and then put the back of the kestrel in the same direction the DOF is not the same. They are about 50 degree different. I have re-calibrated my kestrel and both devices have the updated firmware. Any ideas how to fix this?

Get a physical compass and find out which one is right.

Or is it sending a different number from what the LRF is displaying internally?

I got it figured out. I changed the battery in my Kestrel and then re-calibrated the kestrel, works like a charm.

Thanks for the advice.

Ryan

These still working good? I saw another thread where it sounded like doomsday. Leica and kestrel were not playing well together

Yes - I am very happy with them. I turn my kestrel on first, then press the large button on the Leica's to turn them on. It takes about 5-6 seconds and they are paired/linked. I have zero complaints.

Reactions: Bangin
Awesome. I was going to buy the new swaro 12x42 nl pures but I think I’ll get the Leicas with the 5700 elite. Thanks.

Reactions: Aescobar17