• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel AB limits???

AR15-SBR

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2014
I just stepped outside with my kestrel and took a reading and it only showed 23° and wouldn’t go any lower. Local weather station says it is negative 2. Is there some kind of limit range on these kestrel elite ballistic models?

Yes, I should’ve put in my post that I left the kestrel outside for five minutes. If that makes a difference.

I would think it should register properly after 5 minutes. Mine doesn't have a limit that I am aware of.

If you go to this sub-forum and post the question there, you should get an answer from Kestrel

I would think it should register properly after 5 minutes. Mine doesn't have a limit that I am aware of.

If you go to this sub-forum and post the question there, you should get an answer from Kestrel
I completely forgot about that forum, thank you for reminding me.

Any chance you have it set to Celsius? -23 Celsius is approximately -9 Fahrenheit and you mention a nearby local station was reading -2 Fahrenheit. It may just be a bit colder where you are at.

Check your units and check if there is a minus sign in front of the 23 reading.

Any chance you have it set to Celsius? -23 Celsius is approximately -9 Fahrenheit and you mention a nearby local station was reading -2 Fahrenheit. It may just be a bit colder where you are at.

Check your units and check if there is a minus sign in front of the 23 reading.
Indoor temps were accurate. So I don't think that is the issue.

I I can’t get my Kestrel to turn on. I suggest posting in the kestrel thread that doesn’t help email.Kestrel support.

Ar15-SBR, just to rule out all obvious simple issues as you seem to be using Kestrel in very cold weather. Have you checked the status of the battery and is the installed battery a lithium cell?

Alkalines don’t handle cold very well. Lithiums do much better at near 0 F temps.

Reactions: Nik H
Ar15-SBR, just to rule out all obvious simple issues as you seem to be using Kestrel in very cold weather. Have you checked the status of the battery and is the installed battery a lithium cell?

Alkalines don’t handle cold very well. Lithiums do much better at near 0 F temps.
Lithium batteries are fairly fresh. I don’t like to let them get below half empty according to the little scale, and then I replace them.
But that is a good start.
I am going to let it sit outside for about 20 minutes and see if that changes anything.

Lithium batteries are fairly fresh. I don’t like to let them get below half empty according to the little scale, and then I replace them.
But that is a good start.
I am going to let it sit outside for about 20 minutes and see if that changes anything.
My Kestrel when twirled by the lanyard reads - temps within seconds.

AR15-SBR, if after confirming all of above your Kestrel still does not report temperature correctly I’d contact Kestrel customer support and request a return authorization to have the unit checked out.

You most likely have a faulty temp sensor!

Twirling anything sounds a little queer- but do whatever it takes.

• Haha
Reactions: Milo 2.5
PXL_20240121_003837624.jpg

Didn't take more than 30 seconds to go from 68F down to 17-18F. If you're gonna leave it on the weather vane mount, it needs to be out of direct sunlight.