• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Ballistic News

Love to see if you save the day shooting conditions and have a print out for back up. Things do break

Take a look at Kestrel Memory Options, Auto Store On and store rate as you need. Then link to the Kestrel Link App (not ballistics the other one) and take a look at Readings, Stats and Log. If that is the info you are looking for, Stats has an export feature you can use to send the table. Remember to turn Auto Store off when not in use or your battery will take the hit.

Reactions: Near miss
Take a look at Kestrel Memory Options, Auto Store On and store rate as you need. Then link to the Kestrel Link App (not ballistics the other one) and take a look at Readings, Stats and Log. If that is the info you are looking for, Stats has an export feature you can use to send the table. Remember to turn Auto Store off when not in use or your battery will take the hit.
I use this function every day when I shoot. I also snap a lot of pics with the iphone that are timestamped, to easily correlate at home.

Fyi for everyone : The autostore keeps runnng when the unit is off. So you need not have the Kestrel powered on, to be collecting weather data. That said, I have forgotten to switch the feature off, so the battery has drained over time. Do that a couple times and you’ll remember ?......

Last edited:
Ruger Fans the new Ruger Kestrel 5700 Ballistic Meter is in stock

Predator, RPR and Rimfire rifles are pre-loaded along with popular factory ammo for them. Its like having instant gun profiles for your Ruger rifle. Just like the regular 5700 Kestrel, this can be used with any rifle, but ready to go with your Ruger.

Complete details here:
https://kestrelinstruments.com/ruger-kestrel-5700-ballistics-weather-meter-with-link

Reactions: Holliday
Okay, so I have to ask. Is this the Earth-Shattering announcement? Also, is this model upgradeable to the full ABS version and if doing so do you retain the Ruger specific features?

Okay, so I have to ask. Is this the Earth-Shattering announcement? Also, is this model upgradeable to the full ABS version and if doing so do you retain the Ruger specific features?

This is just one of the new things being offered by Kestrel! This thread is just a streamlined place to find out what is new! @scocoabeach I sent you a private message.

I am about done holding my breath, is this event coming soon, as in earthquake event? Or marketing hype?

Last edited:
Reactions: daltexmex
Can I upgrade my Kestrel that I got with my with my Bushnell ELite Conx one mile (not really, should say maybe half mile on a clear day, you would think this was just some sales lies)?

I am just just some deer caught in the sales headlights that believed that this combo would give me the solution to fly to the moon and back. I at least thought it would get me off the ground. LRF has a tough time getting 75% of the advertised mile. Kestrel needs some more solutions added.

Can I upgrade my Kestrel that I got with my with my Bushnell ELite Conx one mile (not really, should say maybe half mile on a clear day, you would think this was just some sales lies)?

I am just just some deer caught in the sales headlights that believed that this combo would give me the solution to fly to the moon and back. I at least thought it would get me off the ground. LRF has a tough time getting 75% of the advertised mile. Kestrel needs some more solutions added.
https://kestrelinstruments.com/kestrel-elite-weather-meter-applied-ballistics-upgrade-1

Reactions: rsb
Great Day for LiNK users.

New LiNK version was released and is available for Android users today and iPhone users most likely Thursday or Friday (takes longer for the iPhone distribution process)

Look for

Target card update in the app to match Target Card in the Kestrel.

- Capture DoF on Single Target screen using the phones compass.

- Bug fixes.

Great Day for LiNK users.

New LiNK version was released and is available for Android users today and iPhone users most likely Thursday or Friday (takes longer for the iPhone distribution process)

Look for

Target card update in the app to match Target Card in the Kestrel.

- Capture DoF on Single Target screen using the phones compass.

- Bug fixes.
Spectacular!!!

The new LiNK app is now available for the iPhone. Start the app and it should update automatically.

Look for Target Card that can be imported from the Kestrel to the app or built in the app and sent to the Kestrel. Touching icons will allow you to use your phone to acquire DOF (hold the phone facing the target or point the phone top and touch the icon, inclination - point the top of the phone at the target and touch the icon and wind can be updated from the kestrel by touching the icon.

In single target on the app hold the phone facing the target and touch the letters DoF to update the target compass reading.

I noticed Single target mode crashes the app
I Deleted the app.
Rebooted iPhone (running IOS 11.3.1)
Downloaded Link Ballistics app
Still crashes when switching to single target mode when connected to Kestrel via Bluetooth (FW 1.23)

Last edited:
I noticed Single target mode crashes the app
I Deleted the app.
Rebooted iPhone (running IOS 11.3.1)
Downloaded Link Ballistics app
Still crashes when switching to single target mode when connected to Kestrel via Bluetooth (FW 1.23)
Don’t want to talk out of turn here but have you considered moving to iOS 12? I have been very happy with it and I am not having these issues.....12 seems to run so much more efficiently.

Last edited:
Reactions: EchoDeltaSierra
Today, Kestrel Link application send to my Kestrel 5700 elite new firmware ver. 1.24, It is strange because all time before sended new fw Kestrel Link Ballistics. So i have new fw 1.24 which was only for Kestrel 5000?

@Kestrel Ballistics - are there any future plans to enable KPH wind speed units in the Link app? KPH is available in the 5700 (and predecessors) but not in the app. Non-European metric guys (like us dumb aussies) use KPH a lot - and it’s both a pain in the arse and sometimes glitchy to go between Metres/sec in the Link app to KPH in the Kestrel unit. For that reason, many default to StrelokPro or BallisticsARC - both of which offer it.

Sometimes, it’s the little things... ;)

what your guys thoughts on the HUD. Is it to big? How will it be with rough movement

A couple people I know who were at shot said this was on their “top 3” want list from the show. I’m skeptical, but I was skeptical for several years before finally buying a 5700. I do really want to see one in person and am curious to see how it holds up in the elements.