• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel connection problem with Terrapin X

After factory reset, here are the default values. Hum...

View attachment 7616699
Restore and fw update revert settings, you want Data Refresh Rate (iPhone) and Device Sync Rate (Android) set to 2 seconds. Data Logging rate is interval if you store weather conditions on Kestrel and is normally not used for ballistic use. In your Kestrel go to memory options and turn auto store off to be sure you are not wasting battery and memory on that.

Reactions: Lite
Restore and fw update revert settings, you want Data Refresh Rate (iPhone) and Device Sync Rate (Android) set to 2 seconds. Data Logging rate is interval if you store weather conditions on Kestrel and is normally not used for ballistic use. In your Kestrel go to memory options and turn auto store off to be sure you are not wasting battery and memory on that.
Thanks! Auto Store was turned on! I've reset the interval to 1 hour and turned it off in Memory Options as suggested. Appreciate the insight.

BTW I'm using the new Kestrel LiNK app on iPhone and it does use the term "Device Sync Rate" which I have set to 2 sec as recommended. The legacy Kestrel LiNK app warns me to use the new app.

We're now almost at the end of 2023 and I recently purchased a Terrapin-x and a Kestral 5700x Elite and can confirm that the connectivity issues outlined above still exist in their new units. My Terrapin unit was manufactured late in 2022 and came with the most recent firmware upgrade. The Bluetooth connectivity is intermittent and the LRF parameters fail to be transmitted to the Kestral at least 30% of the time. To function, the unit needs to be reset regularly. Sometime via terrapin-x, Sometimes via kestral. At times i need to cycle through both to get it to function. Really annoying. I wouldn't recommend this product. My unit will be returned, hopefully you dont end up purchasing it.

Update:
The unit drops the Bluetooth connection at times and forces a re-connection (either with the Kestral or the Terrapin). It does not happen as frequently as I originally experienced. The peculiarity arises as it can sometimes take 15 seconds for the unit to reestablish connection with the Kestral. Sometimes it takes < 1 second to reestablish connection. During the longer periods, i can shoot the terrapin 5 times and it wont register the distance on the Kestral, while the 6 time (14 seconds after reestablishing bluetooth connection) it will register the distance on the Kestral. So the link seems to work but when the Kestral goes for a period of inactivity it can take as long as 15 seconds to reestablish the data link (even though the Bluetooth symbol indicates that the two are connected). I would hope for better, but suspect it's a battery management compromise.

Update:
After a day of testing, this thing is super glitchy.
Bluetooth says its connected, and it sends the data to the kestral sometimes, other times it doesn't.
It will work for ten shots in a row, then stop transmitting distance info to the kestral.
Sometime immediately after turning on the kestral bluetoohth, it syncs with bluetooth, then doesnt transmit the distance measurement.
For instance, in one case this afternoon, i pushed the terrapin-x button ten times, and on the 11th time the kestral picked up the transmission. Waited for 2+ minutes for that to happen after it initially synced with kestral bluetooth

Not acceptable for something at this price point, save your $$$

Update:
New malfunction has appeared, seemingly at random. This has happened 3 times in the last week. I have replaced the battery, problem still exists

After approximately 50 - 100 shots, the Terrapin-x ceases to work. This comes about immediately after pressing the button, the reticle disappears and the unit stops functioning. It can only be reset by removing and reinserting the battery.

Junk