• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel eating batteries

Jon Lester

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2004
Tazewell . Virginia
Anybody else have one that just started discharging batteries? Even when I turn it off manually it kills the batteries over night.

Re: Kestrel eating batteries

I have heard of them making batteries leak while stored but never drain them overnight I have left mine on accidentally and it didn't drain the batteries with it on. Is it still under warranty? I would call Kestrel and see what they say about it.

The Kestrel can be set to continue to take data even when off`and this is the factory default setting, at least in the 4000. The setting is in the memory options menu as auto store on/off. The store rate is also in the menu and if set to 2sec or 5sec data won't be stored when the unit is off but will be for slower rates.

FYI, Pete

If it's killing the batteries overnight, then you may have a defective meter. It's probably time to call the manufacturer.

As indicated in several threads here, the meters will discharge the batteries over a period of several months, even if not in use. According to the Kestrel's built-in meter, my unit consumes about 10%/month.