• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Elite - manually entering wind direction for target card

davere

Double Oh Negative
Minuteman
Apologies if this is dumb - I'm not finding how to do exactly what I think I want to do (or find the shortest possible way there). I'm hoping maybe I'm dumb or I've just missed it. I've had issues getting the Kestrel's compass to work consistently (even after countless calibrations, practice pointing it, etc, I get weird results). For the purposes of my question, let's say I'm not going to capture wind or target directions using the Kestrel compass - instead, I'll use a handheld compass to determine each value.

What's the easiest or most efficient way to enter wind directions for multiple targets on a target card?

The poster child use case is getting data together for a troop line stage - wind is going to be same compass heading, but maybe there's a spread of targets left to right. So, target DoF is different for each target. Absolute wind direction and magnitude is the same - but that means WD is different for each target, too.

Ideally, I could put in the TR and DoF for each target, and then input one WD and WS1/WS2, and it could populate all targets with WD calculated for each one - but I don't think there's a way to actually do that? I know I can turn on "WD Chg w/ DoF", and use a single target to sort of simulate this (change TR and DoF, and the WD will updated automatically), but I don't get a target card populated that way.

While I'm at it - even more ideal would be the ability to put in a "Wind Heading" (just a compass bearing pointed at the wind) and have WD calculated for you based on DoF for each target. Saves you from having to do the "Wind Heading minus DoF, and add 360 if it's negative" math to get the right WD for each target.

You can do all that manually from the target card screen.

When you go into wind, pressure capture, then click stop. THEN manually input the wind yourself if you want.

You can do all that manually from the target card screen.

When you go into wind, pressure capture, then click stop. THEN manually input the wind yourself if you want.

Ah.... I see. And there's one trick - the wind direction you enter there is the WD for target A, not the wind bearing. Then it calculates out all the rest. That's a big help - gets me most of the way to where I'd hoped! Thank you!

So, workflow becomes - input each target range and DoF. Go into target card, hit select, then pick Wind Inputs. Select "All Tgt DoF Capt". Hit select to stop capture. Input target A WD and desired WS1/WS2. Move cursor back up to "Continue" and hit select. Hit gear button to exit. Target card wind is now applied to every target correctly

Ah.... I see. And there's one trick - the wind direction you enter there is the WD for target A, not the wind bearing. Then it calculates out all the rest. That's a big help - gets me most of the way to where I'd hoped! Thank you!

So, workflow becomes - input each target range and DoF. Go into target card, hit select, then pick Wind Inputs. Select "All Tgt DoF Capt". Hit select to stop capture. Input target A WD and desired WS1/WS2. Move cursor back up to "Continue" and hit select. Hit gear button to exit. Target card wind is now applied to every target correctly
Exactly! 😬

I do this for matches cuz sometimes we have targets within a 120 degree span with various directions. It works well.

Reactions: Scobes and davere