• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Elite upgrade????

mountainsarenice

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2020
Is there any real reason to upgrade my 5700 to the elite for 22LR shooting? I can get by with 3 loaded rifles in the kestrel. Is the data any better? Seems like the elite would only be better if you was shooting supersonic and then need data after the transition. I stay subsonic on my 22 and rarely ever shoot over 1000 yards with my centerfire. Where are you finding good numbers for BC?

I cant get the dsf or the custom drag models to work with my 22lr. If I line it up for 170+ yards it makes everything inside that high. If I true it at 150 yards and in it makes everything at 170+ high.

I cant get the dsf or the custom drag models to work with my 22lr. If I line it up for 170+ yards it makes everything inside that high. If I true it at 150 yards and in it makes everything at 170+ high.
I do it exactly as DThomas3523 does and had great luck with many different lots but keep in mind low ES and SD is a must. Checked my current lot of Center X and the custom curve was spot on checking to up to 300 yards. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/dsf-truing-with-22-rimfire.7033373/#post-8919173

I am looking to update my 5700 Sportsman to an Elite....should I get the LINK wireless dongle or is there more use for the USB cable?

Thanks for the help
Ray

You have to get the cable for doing the upgrades. It doesn't work on BT. Take the free Kestrel Elite virtual class and they give you a discount coupon with the presentation material.
Upgrade works fine over BT. I upgraded mine using the BT USB dongle without issues (Sportsman to Elite).

Reactions: Boxerglocker
I am looking to update my 5700 Sportsman to an Elite....should I get the LINK wireless dongle or is there more use for the USB cable?

Thanks for the help
Ray
I was just speaking w Katie from Kestrel this past weekend and she highly recommended getting the USB for the upgrade. Apparently the upgrade will take several hours with the bluetooth vs minutes with the USB.

You CAN use either. Take the free Kestrel Elite virtual class and they give you a discount coupon with the presentation material.
Evidently I'm an idiot. Do you have a link to the virtual class that you speak of? I've visited kestrelmeters.com twice now and I guess I'm just overlooking it.

I just got my Kestrel 5700 Elite Ballistics with Link in the mail today. How important is it to get a chronograph for true muzzle velocity? Thinking MagnetoSpeed V3, and if needed an MPA RAT Magnetospeed Adaptor. I thought ordering a Vudoo was expensive enough; the "accessories" just keep adding up.

Reactions: SourMash
I just got my Kestrel 5700 Elite Ballistics with Link in the mail today. How important is it to get a chronograph for true muzzle velocity? Thinking MagnetoSpeed V3, and if needed an MPA RAT Magnetospeed Adaptor. I thought ordering a Vudoo was expensive enough; the "accessories" just keep adding up.
It's very important. But you can also true your dope at distance. But the Chrono is faster.

Reactions: Cowpokey
It's very important. But you can also true your dope at distance. But the Chrono is faster.
The main problem I have with truing dope at distance is the local range...it's only 110 yards. The Mid-Atlantic Rimfire Series goes a lot farther, but I don't have easy access to those ranges, with the distance to drive and such.

The main problem I have with truing dope at distance is the local range...it's only 110 yards. The Mid-Atlantic Rimfire Series goes a lot farther, but I don't have easy access to those ranges, with the distance to drive and such.
All things considered hopefully your chosen ammo has a AB custom curve in the library in the kestrel like Lapua Center X. I would set up a profile with the custom curve, zero at 50 yards with a starting velocity of 1080 fps. Check at 100 yards and true velocity, then run with that until you have access to longer ranges and a chrono. I have found the AB CC for Center X to be spot on all the way to 300 yards in my rifle.

Reactions: Cowpokey
I'm still a couple months out from having my Vudoo delivered; I'll most likely have the chrono in the next few weeks, maybe a month. I have some other fun rimfire rifles to get me up to speed. Thanks for the input thus far.

Good information here. Saving up for a Kestrel now I may have learned a few things to help me get one quicker