• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Kestrel Firmware 1.20 Release

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
Kestrel firmware version 1.20 is available for download as of today, March 14th and can be installed using an iOS/Android mobile device using the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics App or a PC/MAC using Kestrel LiNK. This new firmware version contains new features for the Elite model such as Target Card, extended 5500 yd max range, increased solver accuracy at extreme long range and a few small additions to make navigating the menus faster and easier. Along with the firmware update, the cost of an Elite has been reduced to $699. We are also releasing a new unit, the 5700, which replaces our older Sportsman unit. The 5700 retails for $399 and has some new feature available in both the 5700 and Elite. The first called Easy Mode, is a setting targeted at shooters who are new to using a Kestrel ballistics meter. Easy Mode simplifies the use of the Kestrel and gives the user additional guidance to get started. Inches and cm have been added as display options for Elevation and Windage as well as a Muzzle Velocity Calibration guide to ensure users get the most accurate MV calibration possible.

With this update, any fielded Sportsman units will be upgraded to 5700 units.
Both Kestrel Elite and Kestrel 5700 units are now shipping with the new firmware.

I downloaded the 1.20 lastnight. Interesting changes. Many I like. I had one problem which I couldn't re-create though. My come up's wouldn't populate when I set my target to 1000yds. Just received a - - . Tried changing the distance and no change. It appeared to be frozen. Nothing would give me corrections, but the ballistic table seemed functional. Weird I know. I reset the unit and it seems to be functioning fine. I'll keep playing with it. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Which app? Sorry, I've updated through the Kestrel Link app. I've not seen this version available to download.

Last edited:
I just started using my 5700S. Does this apply to that model if mine does not have LINK?

BTW, thanks for the Demo units at Blue Steel Ranch for Brian Whalen's courses. Very helpful.

I just started using my 5700S. Does this apply to that model if mine does not have LINK?

BTW, thanks for the Demo units at Blue Steel Ranch for Brian Whalen's courses. Very helpful.
Hi @Marco, yes there are updates to the 5700 in 1.20 and like @ophious said you'll need a cable to install it. Changes are to the MV Temp table and a bug where double tapping the back light button while in Easy mode causes the unit to lock up.

Reactions: ophious
I just updated to 1.20 on my Elite - is anyone else noticing a pretty decent lag in the elevation and wind numbers updating when changing the range? I was on 1.15 before and it was instantaneous.

I just updated to 1.20 on my Elite - is anyone else noticing a pretty decent lag in the elevation and wind numbers updating when changing the range? I was on 1.15 before and it was instantaneous.
YEP

As part of the 1.20 update, we improved the accuracy of the solver at ELR ranges (part of extending max range out to 5500yds). That takes a little more processor power which does have an impact on speed.
Another change that may account for some the difference you're seeing is that now the display doesn't show any solution till the solver is done calculating and the solution wont change anymore. In 1.15 the display would show values while you were scrolling and while the solver was still working in the background. Particularly at long ranges, you could stop scrolling and the display would show an incomplete solution while the solver was still calculating the final answer, potentially causing the solution to change after you looked away. It looked faster but ultimatly, the values displayed wern't always final. Hopefully that doens't sound like excuses for a change in speed. With people shooting out to further and further distances we want to make sure we were still the best tool they can use.

Thanks for making it possible to use an android device to update my 5700, I don't even have a windows PC anymore...

Installing this update right now.

As part of the 1.20 update, we improved the accuracy of the solver at ELR ranges (part of extending max range out to 5500yds). That takes a little more processor power which does have an impact on speed.
Another change that may account for some the difference you're seeing is that now the display doesn't show any solution till the solver is done calculating and the solution wont change anymore. In 1.15 the display would show values while you were scrolling and while the solver was still working in the background. Particularly at long ranges, you could stop scrolling and the display would show an incomplete solution while the solver was still calculating the final answer, potentially causing the solution to change after you looked away. It looked faster but ultimatly, the values displayed wern't always final. Hopefully that doens't sound like excuses for a change in speed. With people shooting out to further and further distances we want to make sure we were still the best tool they can use.

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the reply. Love the new features.

It is described somewhere above in thread. Uninstall app in mobile and install again or takeout battery from kestrel. And promt will folow.

I just updated to 1.21 today. Haven't played with it yet. Surprised another update so quickly after 1.20. @Kestrel Ballistics . I do have one question though. My battery was completely dead before I updated. I put in a new battery (lithium) and after the update I'm showing only 38% batt life left on the new battery. I know the update took around 30min or so through the android os. Is this a normal battery life drain that is noticed on these units after a new FW update?

Can somebody tell me please, where is in Kestrel 5700 elite, MV Temp var table input? I mean in anemometer, not in Kestrel Ballistics app in mobile. Just in Kestrel.

Can somebody tell me please, where is in Kestrel 5700 elite, MV Temp var table input? I mean in anemometer, not in Kestrel Ballistics app in mobile. Just in Kestrel.
Hi @onevan, to find the MV-Temp table enter the Gun Menu then enter the MV sub menu. Scroll down below MV Calibration and you should find the MV-Temp table. Let me know if you don't find it.

unsure what's going on. kestrel elite with link, iPhone. wifi and bluetooth both on and shows connected. I'm still on on Version 1.15?
I just shut down and turned back on iPhone. went to app.... still nothing. it's showing connected.

Last edited:
Hi @onevan, to find the MV-Temp table enter the Gun Menu then enter the MV sub menu. Scroll down below MV Calibration and you should find the MV-Temp table. Let me know if you don't find it.
Thank you. It is clear. I will input temperature in which i measured muzzle velocity? And after that my kestrel will correct muzzle velocity in other temperatures?

unsure what's going on. kestrel elite with link, iPhone. wifi and bluetooth both on and shows connected. I'm still on on Version 1.15?
I just shut down and turned back on iPhone. went to app.... still nothing. it's showing connected.

Please try deleting the app and reinstalling. This should fix your issue.

I was having a problem downloading the app to my iPhone 6s but a phone call today to tech support fixed it and i am now up-to-date with all down loads, A big thank you to tech support.

This might ne the wrong thread but is there a way to input zero conditions with this software?

Thank you. It is clear. I will input temperature in which i measured muzzle velocity? And after that my kestrel will correct muzzle velocity in other temperatures?
Hi @onevan, yes, you should input at least three temperatures and the corresponding muzzle velocities covering a wide range of temperatures (high, med, low) and then turn the MV temp table on. You can use the MV Calibration tool to get the MV values. Once turned on it will drive your MV based on the temperature it reads. The Kestrel will build a curve through the data points you enter and extrapolate beyond those points as well. If you only input two values and both are at low temps, the table may not be a very good prediction of MV at high temps. Thats why it's important to spread out your inputs and give it at least 3 values to work with before turning the MV Temp table on.

This might ne the wrong thread but is there a way to input zero conditions with this software?
Hi @556tar21, the Kestrel does not store off zero conditions. If you zero at 100 yards there is essentially no change in zero due to environmental changes. That only comes into play if you zero at longer distances. The Kestrel automatically adjusts your holds when conditions change so as long as shooters zero at 100 yards nothing more is needed. Storing zero conditions is somethign we've considered but currently dont have plans to implement. If that doesn't help you out message us direct and let us know.

For the Kestrel guys:
If I’m using a custom curve in the 5700 Elite does it automatically do a temp MV calculation without me inputting temp/MV data?
It seems the only way I can “activate “ my custom curve is by selecting the temp/MV table to “off”...

Last edited:
Hi @onevan, yes, you should input at least three temperatures and the corresponding muzzle velocities covering a wide range of temperatures (high, med, low) and then turn the MV temp table on. You can use the MV Calibration tool to get the MV values. Once turned on it will drive your MV based on the temperature it reads. The Kestrel will build a curve through the data points you enter and extrapolate beyond those points as well. If you only input two values and both are at low temps, the table may not be a very good prediction of MV at high temps. Thats why it's important to spread out your inputs and give it at least 3 values to work with before turning the MV Temp table on.
Thank you for answer because it is not described in Kestrel manual.

Hi @556tar21, the Kestrel does not store off zero conditions. If you zero at 100 yards there is essentially no change in zero due to environmental changes. That only comes into play if you zero at longer distances. The Kestrel automatically adjusts your holds when conditions change so as long as shooters zero at 100 yards nothing more is needed. Storing zero conditions is somethign we've considered but currently dont have plans to implement. If that doesn't help you out message us direct and let us know.

Nope that’s the answer I was looking for thanks

What new features are in 1.21 please?

Is there a way to disable easy mode, like remove it from the scrolling list of Kestrel modes like shutting off wet bulb, for example.

If I don't use it I prefer to turn it off and not have to scroll past it to get to whatever I'm after.

Is there a way to prevent the Kestrel from dropping the Bluetooth connection with the PLRF whenever it receives a reading under 30 m?